X or H pipe with Long tubes

jas11151990

Established Member
Went ahead and ordered my JBA long tubes but was wondering what sounded and performed best with GT500 axle back. O/R H or X?

Nuar

Established Member
From what everyone says on here:

If u like rasp, get the x
If you like a deeper tone get the h

zsommer79

Established Member
I have Kooks headers with offroad x and GT500s. It definitely gets raspy at higher RPMs.

Brent Davis

Established Member
I just installed my JBA LT's and H-pipe this weekend.......way fuggin better than a x-pipe sound.

Are you going to use a lift or jack stands?

RC-5.0

Established Member
Does anyone have any videos with headers, o/r mid pipe, gt500 axle back?

Man it sounds mean. I really like the LT, H-pipe and GT500 muffler sound. Definitely turns heads when you take off or just cruising.

Any videos by chance?

Inside and Out, Hope this helps. This is by far my personal favorite combo...Cruising speed sound is great (can talk on Sync with NP). From outside it sounds mean as hell when getting on it.
RC

[video=youtube;iyHFy-YbCKo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyHFy-YbCKo[/video]

RC-5.0

Established Member
I could only post one vid per post, so here is the other one:

[video=youtube;_AlJiBasMe4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AlJiBasMe4[/video]

jmurray87

Established Member
Car sounds amazing RC same setup I want, I think either X or H both sound great its a matter of preference I just happen to prefer H pipe myself. I just wish there were more H pipe options for these cars that go with LTs.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
In the N/A 500-600whp range, does anyone know if there's any discernible power difference in the H vs. X with 1-7/8 LTs? If it's a <5whp difference, I'll go with the H. I'm just wondering because between 6000-8000RPM, these cars seem to be very responsive to small increases in airflow and exhaust flow, i.e., 12whp from minor clean up on a CJ intake manifold. I'm worried that going with an H may cause a noticeable power deficit in a high hp NA/high RPM engine. I prefer the sound of an H, so I'm torn.

jas11151990

Established Member
In the N/A 500-600whp range, does anyone know if there's any discernible power difference in the H vs. X with 1-7/8 LTs? If it's a <5whp difference, I'll go with the H. I'm just wondering because between 6000-8000RPM, these cars seem to be very responsive to small increases in airflow and exhaust flow, i.e., 12whp from minor clean up on a CJ intake manifold. I'm worried that going with an H may cause a noticeable power deficit in a high hp NA/high RPM engine. I prefer the sound of an H, so I'm torn.

Same thing I have been thinking about. I want the H pipe but little difference make power changes in these cars. Ill go with an X if its beneficial.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Years ago the older cars responded better with an X pipe. With the newer cars, there is NO reason to choose and X over H for power differences. You will find a couple threads that compare the 2 with a 3-4 HP edge to the X, but that's insignificant with the power of these engines, and it's not even a great "scientific" test. (differences in dyno runs will always be seen, even back-to-back runs).

I would choose the one you want based on sound (whatever sound you like.
RC

dabster

Established Member
do you need a tune with longtubes only? thinking about those as my first power mod, then a cai/tune combo later on.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Were those back-to-back comparisons with an almost stock car, or a heavily modified car making 100+whp more than stock? I've seen the Lethal OR H vs OR X comparison on an otherwise stock car making only 3-4whp more with the X pipe. With a CJ intake, LTs, and cams it may be a different story.

768MPH

Established Member
I'd say unless you are strictly a track car and sponsored looking for every tenth advantage you can get, pick what sounds better for you.
You won't feel a 3-4 hp difference. IMO

yeahloh95

Established Member
I just picked up some kooks and will be going with an x pipe I think they sound smoother on decal than the h just my preferance

BornCoqui

Established Member
I just picked up some kooks and will be going with an x pipe I think they sound smoother on decal than the h just my preferance

This is the reason i went with a x pipe over the h with my long tubes.

Also i think alot of the rasp comes from the muffler set up you run. Most of the people with x pipes that comment on rasp have gt500 cans or similar. I dont fell like my set up is raspy and have only gotten complements on the sound. 1 7/8 ARH longtubes with Magnaflow competion catback.

Users who are viewing this thread