x or h pipe?

The Whistler

Established Member
I have been seeing that a lot of guys on here have h pipes. It seems like everywhere I look, the x pipe seems to offer more hp. What do you guys think and which do you prefer?

kaos

Established Member
X-pipe and below are my dyno numbers. :) I will if I get off my lazy ass today be doing a sound clip with my old magnaflow cb with x and then with my magnapacks.

kaos

Established Member
One other thing, when comparing those two dyno #'s, I gained about 20 lbs of torque in the lower rpm ranges. I had thread that showed how much exactly but search is not working.

"SNAKIE"

Established Member
Originally posted by omslaw
I will if I get off my lazy ass today be doing a sound clip with my old magnaflow cb with x and then with my magnapacks.
dude cant wait!!! been waiting since the last post:-D

moonltgold

Three weeks ago I dynoed stock h and Magnaflow x (with cats) back to back. The x gave an extra 5-8 lbs TQ throughout the 3,500-6,000 range, and, strangely enough, about 5 lbs in the 1,600-2,000 range. The hp was close throughout, within 5 hp, with only 1.7 hp (SAE) more at peak for the x. Get the x.

Moonlt ‘01 True Blue Coupe
298.2 rwhp SAE, 291.4 rwtq
Engine Mods: March UDPs, C&L 80mm MAF kit, 180* T-stat
Exhaust Mods: Modified Magnaflow x-pipe w/ cats, Magnaflow
catback w/ Bassani baffles
Drivetrain Mods: 03 Cobra alum. flywheel / clutch assy., Steeda
Tri-Ax Shifter, 3.73 FMS gears, PST carbon fiber DS
Suspension Mods: Maximum Motorsports (MM) coilovers
(Bilstein/Hypercoil), BBK offset rack bushings, MM
c/c plates, ’03 Cobra IRS cross brace, Steeda IRS
pinion bushings, MM IRS subframe poly bushings,
MM FL SFCs, KB rear shock tower brace (welded),
Russell SS front brake lines, Bridgestone SO-3 PPs

Avenging Angel

Established Member
Originally posted by moonlt
Three weeks ago I dynoed stock h and Magnaflow x (with cats) back to back. The x gave an extra 5-8 lbs TQ throughout the 3,500-6,000 range, and, strangely enough, about 5 lbs in the 1,600-2,000 range. The hp was close throughout, within 5 hp, with only 1.7 hp (SAE) more at peak for the x. Get the x.

You compared a STOCK H-Pipe with 4 Cats ~vs~ a X-Pipe with 2 High-Flow Cats? Not really fair is it?

moonltgold

Just goes to show the cats make very little difference, and the stock mid-pipe flows well. The power to be gained on an '01 is in switching out the catback.

The Whistler

Established Member
See, the thing is I have already done that.

2 1/2" American Thunder (2 Chambers) Flow cat-back

Now, I want to gain some more power. Don't know what to do. The company that I am looking at is BBK. So maybe their products are different. Anyone have any more suggestions.

moonltgold

When I switched from Flowmasters to Magnaflows I picked up hp. I only dynoed at 278 hp SAE with the Flows, (about 6 hp SAE over stock), and the Mags got me about 8 hp over that. If you want to go without cats, then Dr. Gas x-pipe is the best x out there because it crosses closer to the engine. Flowtech is similar to Dr. Gas, but poorer quality and some people have had issues with a poor fit. If you're keeping the Flows or any chambered muffler, the general consensus (per MustangExhaust.com) is that the H-pipe will sound better, so a large diameter h-pipe may be your best option. BBK is one such h-pipe.

The Whistler

Established Member
Alright, I have decided to go with the longtube headers and the matching shorty o/r h pipe by BBK. Thanks a lot guys. I will let you guys know how it goes and how it sounds.

01svtbra

Established Member
If you've got flows, look into a Mac prochamber. gives good power and sounds sweet with flows.

Users who are viewing this thread