X-pipe Problem??

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
I have a 98 GT with an BBK X-pipe. The car isn't lowered at all and the x-pipe hangs kind of low right now. I purchased a set of Sportlines and I my car will scrape even more. Do any of you guys have problems with your x-pipe on your GT's. Is it common for the x-pipe to hang really low on these cars?

greensvt21

retired truckie SFD!
Established Member
others will chime in but yes, my 91 fox isn't lowered and I'm hanging low but they do stock, but the bbk might hang a little lower. my buddy has long tubes on his 90 you wanna talk scary :eek:. I have to crawl over any speed bumps.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
my SLP o/r x pipe hangs low, looks like I already have L/T's on my car. I have sportlines on mine also. I do have to be careful over speedbumps and cannot go down really rough roads

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
You have to loosen everything up (header bolts and everything back to the mufflers)

than get a floor jack and jack the xpipe up abit than start tightening everything far as you can. Doing that will make it sit up higher.

sam92lx

SVTP Style Consultant.
Established Member
100_2012.gif

100_2013.gif

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
Yep, thats how t looks if u dont do what i wrote above. Trust me.. i done it months ago and it fixed my problem.

Now i got a clutch installed acouple days ago and forgot to use the floor jack method and thats EXACTLY how my hpipe looked. So i untightened every bolt than jacked the midpipe up with an floor jack and started to tight the headers bolts 1st than work back to the mufflers.

Lowered the jack and the hpipe and everything looks freaking high.

RomeoR

Established Member
I have the same issue I have hooker LT with the hooker Xpipe and the steeda sport springs and it scrapes everywhere

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Two things...

One; is using the jack while tightening does work really well.

Two; my friend had a BBK X and we never got it "tucked up" quite right. It was always a little low and drug quite a bit.

mustangjunkie

Mach 1 *****
Established Member
+1. Had the same problem with my BBK. Put the car on a lift, put a stand underneath it after I loosened up the bolts, dropped the car down a little bit, tightened them up and it was good to go.

weezyscobra

sick with it
Established Member
Dude, replace your muffler/catback assembly. Those welds after the x are extension piping. Get a true fit catback system (flowmaster, mac, etc) and the X will sit up like it should. If you aren't looking to get a catback, take your car to a muffler shop and have the section before the muffler replaced. Looks like you go from 2.5" at the X to 2.25" then back to 2.5" mufflers. That's a restriction in itself.

twista

Band'edid
Established Member
Dude, replace your muffler/catback assembly. Those welds after the x are extension piping. Get a true fit catback system (flowmaster, mac, etc) and the X will sit up like it should. If you aren't looking to get a catback, take your car to a muffler shop and have the section before the muffler replaced. Looks like you go from 2.5" at the X to 2.25" then back to 2.5" mufflers. That's a restriction in itself.

Doing all that welding on a 98 gt seems like a waste of money. I doubt doing that will yeld him any performance at all. Just use the jack method and youll be good. The cats are removed so that takes away the major restriction, but for a stock 96-98 GT.. get a Pi intake and heads/cams if you want any kind of power. im just saying taking it to a muffler shop and have them replace that llittle section wont do anything good. The thing is going to be slow reguardless unless he throws some serious mods at it :beer::rockon:

I would keep it ghetto rigged till theres something actually done to the car.

Users who are viewing this thread