XP Service Pack Question

ZincDude

Blah
Established Member
Does the new service pack for Windows XP detect spyware? I have this message that popped up. It's a Microsoft Internet Explorer bubble that says "You are infected with spyware would you like to remove it?" I got it after I upgraded the OS service pack but I don't think one has anything to do with the other. So do you think it is a hoax?

x14

Established Member
In Windows XP Service Pack 2, Internet Explorer is upgraded to have built-in pop-up blocker. XP also now have a built-in firewall.

It does NOT detect spyware..

sikwitit36

Banned
Was it a Microsoft pop-up and when you clicked yes did it send you to some SpywareStormer page? yeah it happened to me. Dont even download it. It will only detect, it wont remove the spyware if you have any.

What x14 said about the SP2 was right. But the pop-up blocker is too strict, so I dont even use it.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
Read this: http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16149

SP2 seemed to change some of my default settings and I am having problems with Firefox that may or may not be related to iinstalling it. Since I'm going to be building a new computer in a week or so, I'm not going to mess with it now. I may have my kids reformat my Dell when I give it to them and then wait a while to reinstall SP2.

nj7703

Established Member
I don't think SP2 had anything to do with your popups. They are like zits, you get them when you least expect them. You may want to use a spyware removal program like Ad Aware, Spybot, X Cleaner, or Giant Anti-Spyware. You can get Spybot for free, and it does a good job, especially if you enable the real time protection option it comes with.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread