Y2K Cobra R 18x9 1/2 rims

hyperider

Established Member
i just install a set of Y2k Cobra R wheels 18x9 1/2 rims on my 04 Cobra. i see a lot of people uses 275X35X18 tires on it. can a 275X40X18 work without rubbing? there's a lot of space right now it really looks like it'll fit. but i just want to know if anyone has done it or has seen one on.

hyperider

Established Member
yeah i know that. but its not wide enough though. so i guess it might rub. no wonder all i see people use are the 275X35X18. it doesn't look nice right now. there's a bigger space between the fenders and the tires now. it's like an inch and half thinner or lower than the stock 275X40X17 too. guess i'll just have to lower the car now. thanks a lot for your feed back!!!

VAMPIR3

Established Member
Why couldn't you run a Nitto Drag Radial 315 on the rears? If they fit a stock 03 Cobra rim they will def. fit a 9.5" rim:shrug: Would look alot better IMHO too

hyperider

Established Member
a lot of people have suggested that. but i'm more in taking corners and twisties so i prefer to have some size tires on all fours. but thanks for the suggestion. my problem now with the 275X35X18 is it looks ugly cause there's so much space my car looks like a rally car now. so now i'll have to lower it. i was avoiding that cause my xpipes are already scraping at times. but no choice now.

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
a lot of people have suggested that. but i'm more in taking corners and twisties so i prefer to have some size tires on all fours. but thanks for the suggestion. my problem now with the 275X35X18 is it looks ugly cause there's so much space my car looks like a rally car now. so now i'll have to lower it. i was avoiding that cause my xpipes are already scraping at times. but no choice now.

Go ahead and lower it - you won't regret it! :rockon:

I have the SSR GT3 18 X 9.5 rims on the front with 275-35-18 BFG KDW II tires and Steeda lowering springs. The combo looks great and the handling is much better since the car sits lower... :beer:

hyperider

Established Member
Go ahead and lower it - you won't regret it! :rockon:

I have the SSR GT3 18 X 9.5 rims on the front with 275-35-18 BFG KDW II tires and Steeda lowering springs. The combo looks great and the handling is much better since the car sits lower... :beer:

thanks! already got the h&r race springs w/ mm cc will install them this friday. hopefully it'll look and handle better.

hyperider

Established Member
here's how it looks like right now.

DSCN0551.jpg

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Damn is that the new cobra 4x4 truck.
If you wanna hang turns and tired of looking
at that gap (cause I know I am) drop it like it hot.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
yeah i know that. but its not wide enough though. so i guess it might rub. no wonder all i see people use are the 275X35X18. it doesn't look nice right now. there's a bigger space between the fenders and the tires now. it's like an inch and half thinner or lower than the stock 275X40X17 too. guess i'll just have to lower the car now. thanks a lot for your feed back!!!

Actually, if you put the two side-by-side, the 275/35r18 is the same height as the 275/40r17. thats the whole point of the "plus one" concept. And I have both, and put them side by side to confirm.

but yeah, lowering the car will take away some of that space between the wheel arch and the tire.

hyperider

Established Member
Actually, if you put the two side-by-side, the 275/35r18 is the same height as the 275/40r17. thats the whole point of the "plus one" concept. And I have both, and put them side by side to confirm.

but yeah, lowering the car will take away some of that space between the wheel arch and the tire.

actually no its not. i did just that the 275X40X17 on the stock 04 Cobra rims 17X9 side by side the new 275X35X18 on my new 2000 Cobra R rims 18X9 1/2 and the 18 is like an inch or inch and half lower. that's why had i known that i would have just kept the stock rims and tires. people told me that the inch and half difference on width on the 18X9 1/2 made the tires lower profiled than on the 18X9s rims like that copy cat AFS wheels. but i'm lowering it this friday anyways. just want to know if i can put a 275X40X18s but i guess you guys said it will rub.

hyperider

Established Member
Damn is that the new cobra 4x4 truck.
If you wanna hang turns and tired of looking
at that gap (cause I know I am) drop it like it hot.

c'mon not a truck at least a rally car! lol! i know that's why i hate it! i got the H&R race springs and mm cc plates to be installed this friday. i'll post the pics when its done and see how much difference it did.

hyperider

Established Member
Had Maier Racing installed the H&R race springs and MM caster camber plates, kept the stock top and bottom isolators for the front and only kept the bottom isolastors for the rear, took the top ones off. It handles like a dream! I can't believe the improvement in handling on corners it's night a day difference from the stock springs. I love it!

DSCN0585.jpg

DSCN0586.jpg

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
actually no its not. i did just that the 275X40X17 on the stock 04 Cobra rims 17X9 side by side the new 275X35X18 on my new 2000 Cobra R rims 18X9 1/2 and the 18 is like an inch or inch and half lower. that's why had i known that i would have just kept the stock rims and tires. people told me that the inch and half difference on width on the 18X9 1/2 made the tires lower profiled than on the 18X9s rims like that copy cat AFS wheels. but i'm lowering it this friday anyways. just want to know if i can put a 275X40X18s but i guess you guys said it will rub.

I'm going to hve to call shenanigans on this. a 275/35r18 is not 1.5" shorter than a 275/40r17. when I do it they're nearly identical in height. my street tires are 275/35r18 michelin pilot sports on 18x9.5" chrome ford racing 00r wheels, and my track tires are 275/40r17 kumho v710 on the stock 5spokes and 10th anniv wheels, and they are nearly identical in height.

i'm not going to deny that there might be visual issues with the narrow tire sidewall relative to the arc of the wheel opening

but they're NOT 1.5" shorter.

hyperider

Established Member
Hmmm... i don't know what to tell you. i wish i should have took some pictures. but my new 275X35X18 on the Y2K Cobra R 18X9.5 look really lower in height compared to my old 275X40X17 on my stock Cobra 17X9 wheels. It's not a visual thing cause i put it side by side. now when compare to another 275X35X18 on a 18X9 wheels then its even. maybe the 18X9.5 makes the tires squat a little bit more. my buddies said that half inch difference is probably what's making it lower.

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
I'm going to hve to call shenanigans on this. a 275/35r18 is not 1.5" shorter than a 275/40r17. when I do it they're nearly identical in height. my street tires are 275/35r18 michelin pilot sports on 18x9.5" chrome ford racing 00r wheels, and my track tires are 275/40r17 kumho v710 on the stock 5spokes and 10th anniv wheels, and they are nearly identical in height.

i'm not going to deny that there might be visual issues with the narrow tire sidewall relative to the arc of the wheel opening

but they're NOT 1.5" shorter.

I have the same setup, and they are nearly identical. Something is wrong. :dw: Maybe its the tires he bought, but my 00R's and orginal F1's on the stockers are identical.

Last edited:

hyperider

Established Member
I have the same setup, and they are nearly identical. Something is wrong. :dw: Maybe its the tires he bought, but my 00R's and orginal F1's on the stockers are identical.

hmmn... i'm really not sure why mine is lower. maybe it is the tires. but you could see the picture i already drop the car with H&R race springs took the top isos in the rear and i still have some space. i seen someone did the same set up with the stock 03-04's 17x9s wheel with a 275X40X17 tires and it filled up the wheel well. maybe it is the tires. i have falkens 275X35X18s on now.

do you mind posting a picture of your cobra with the 00 R's on them? thanks!

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Man that looks alot better, plus it doesn't hurt that your handling
and ride actually gets better with the race springs. I also got race
springs and love them. Good choice, now wait till they settle in a
little more.

hyperider

Established Member
Man that looks alot better, plus it doesn't hurt that your handling
and ride actually gets better with the race springs. I also got race
springs and love them. Good choice, now wait till they settle in a
little more.

thanks! i do hope it settles some more. the front and rear looks pretty even right now. but i hope the front goes down a little bit more cause it has a bigger gap than the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread