Yellow vs. green coolant - radiator life

JerseySVT

Established Member
Shadowgray03 said:
Our cars have 2 seperate cooling systems, one for the engines and one for the inlet air. You would use the evans NPG in the engine. Evans would be a waste in the intercooler system because it doesnt get hot enough, water (or water/coolant) is fine for the intercooler system. So, with that in mind, you can still add ice to the intercooler tank at the tack, it has no bearing on engine coolant.

Yeah, I know. I just wasn't paying attention and originally thought the topic was about intercooler system. Just one of those many "moments." :bash:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Shadowgray03 said:
As far as going to NPG coolant its a huge project mainly because water is a contaminent to it. Your engines cooling system needs to be thuroughly flushed and dry prior to adding evans coolant.

Why was it such a huge project?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
my .02 is that the tech (original post) is right... and xjman1 is onto something about the weird properties of the gold coolant.

reason i think that gold stuff is weird is that it is like a chalky, thick deposit/residue, which to me dont seem right - i never saw the green stuff do that.

this is my second new car. first was a 96gt. kept it for seven years and the biggest problem i experienced with the car was the cooling system. engine/drivetrain? nothing major. but i had to replace almost every cooling system component (except waterpump) and that was with religous annual maintenance and more.

now this cobra has 16k, and the coolant overflow tank which when new was a very clear gold like the intercooler - cannot be seen through. the intercooler is still nice and crystal clear tho. i just think that ford's cooling systems dont last, and that gold shit sure aint gonna help. i think they have it set up to barely last the 3 or 5 yrs and then all the shit lets loose.

so, i want to switch to green and tie off the heater core. plus green lets you see leaks better. the only reason im waiting is cuz these cobras are such a bitch to burp/refill.

Last edited:

CANiHaveGasCash

Established Member
working at a ford dealership I see more gunk buildup on the coolant reservoirs with the gold coolant way more than I do with the green. just my $.02

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
The reason extended life coolants have such a bad rap is the junk GM came out with initially. (Dex-Cool??) This is the first I'm hearing about issues with the Ford Gold coolant...which isn't quite the same as the extended life junk originally produced. I know for a fact that GM spent a ton of money replacing cooling systems on a lot of their cars because of their stuff. Radiators, hoses, heater cores, etc. They just changed everything out and replaced it with the green stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread