Yellow vs. green coolant - radiator life

LizardMan

Established Member
While at APEX in Santa Clara getting my base-line dyno numbers the tech told me to "Get rid of that yellow coolant, and replace it with the old style green stuff." He said the yellow stuff will plug up the radiator/heater core.

I haven't heard any complaints about the yellow coolant, just warnings to not mix it with orange or green coolant.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think that is a bunch of bull sh**, but I'm not an expert. If anything, it was always my understanding that the gold (yellow) coolant was superior to the green. If you will notice, the majority of Cobras here have the gold coolant. I've yet to hear of a coolant related issue.

Z-COBRA

Bling & Zing
Established Member
The major ingredient in all Ant-Freeze is Ethylene Glycol, and additives are pretty much all the same in all major brands. The enviromentally friendly so called stuff is a Propylene Glycol based formula.Do you think Ford
GM or others produce their own?? they are all probably produced by Dupont My .02 worth.

Last edited:

Dans03C

Established Member
Aviod apex

That place has changed ownership three times that i know of. I ve had problems wit that shop in the past, like catching them joy riding my car as well as not standing by their word which ended up costing me $.

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
Dans03C said:
That place has changed ownership three times that i know of. I ve had problems wit that shop in the past, like catching them joy riding my car as well as not standing by their word which ended up costing me $.

JOY RIDING= :cuss: :fm: :mj: :bash:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
CobraBob said:
I think that is a bunch of bull sh**.
I agree. Some of the first generation extended life coolants did get a bad reputation for "clogging radiators". Mostly it was due to people actually thinking that they could go 7 years without a coolant change! What a crock. The new coolants are fine, just change them like you would the old stuff - about every 2 years. It's cheap insurance. :)

Dans03C

Established Member
Its true

It was so hard to hold back, but sometimes u have to control yourself. I wonder if the short chubby, long haired guy is the one who claimed this. if si thats the guy that i caught in my car.

Xjman1

Established Member
Alright here guys, while having my radiator cap replaced I noticed a "sludge" in the radiator reservoir, has any one else noticed this? This is with the stock factory GOLD coolant. Then when doing the LDC Cooling mod we noticed the same "sludge" in the stock hoses. Seems to me that it would clog the radiator passages as they are much cmaller than the hoses, however the "sludge" was vey soft and almost silicon like.
Talking to the service manager if he has seen this become a problem and he informed me no, however said when he drained his engine to rebuild he saw the same thing.
So who else has this "sludge" buildup and any concerns?

mosconiac

Established Member
Xjman1: I saw the same rusty sludge in the overflow tank when burping my car. I cleaned it out and went on my way. BTW, my car came with the gold coolant and I replaced it with gold.

Xjman1

Established Member
mosconiac said:
Xjman1: I saw the same rusty sludge in the overflow tank when burping my car. I cleaned it out and went on my way. BTW, my car came with the gold coolant and I replaced it with gold.

That is what I did, it just seems that the sludge would eventually clog up the radiator.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
If you want to take care of your cooling system get rid of the yellow and the green and use the evans NPG. No water so you wont have all the scale, corrosion etc.

JerseySVT

Established Member
Shadowgray03 said:
If you want to take care of your cooling system get rid of the yellow and the green and use the evans NPG. No water so you wont have all the scale, corrosion etc.

I'm thinking of getting the Evans stuff. But I'm also installing a LFP res. If I use the Evans NPG, I can't add ice to the res at the track, making the res pointless, right? Or am I wrong. Hope i'm wrong. :shrug:

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
JerseySVT said:
I'm thinking of getting the Evans stuff. But I'm also installing a LFP res. If I use the Evans NPG, I can't add ice to the res at the track, making the res pointless, right? Or am I wrong. Hope i'm wrong. :shrug:

As far as I know the heat exchanger coolant doesn't mix with the engine coolant.

JerseySVT

Established Member
Oh Three Cobra said:
As far as I know the heat exchanger coolant doesn't mix with the engine coolant.

:bash: I read it so quickly (and not all the posts) I thought he was talking about the intercooler coolant. :bash:

Ugh, i feel smart. :nonono:

Xjman1

Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
if you;ve done your cooling modifications your coolant is fresh :D

Coolant is fresh. just needs to be power flushed more often to get rid of the "normal" sludge. May be good stuff but looks like crap after a fw months. Funny thing is the Intercooler uses the same GOLD coolant but is still glowing yellow, without the slightest sign of buildup. What gives?

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
JerseySVT said:
Our cars have 2 seperate cooling systems, one for the engines and one for the inlet air. You would use the evans NPG in the engine. Evans would be a waste in the intercooler system because it doesnt get hot enough, water (or water/coolant) is fine for the intercooler system. So, with that in mind, you can still add ice to the intercooler tank at the tack, it has no bearing on engine coolant.

As far as going to NPG coolant its a huge project mainly because water is a contaminent to it. Your engines cooling system needs to be thuroughly flushed and dry prior to adding evans coolant.

Users who are viewing this thread