Yep.. Another Wheelhop question..

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
So.. I did all the IRS bushing etc etc.. per my signature.. and notice I still have bad wheel hop. I think it is due to the cold weather and moist roads. Does that sound like a good reason I would still have bad wheel hop after all the rear suspension upgrades?

Here is misc. info before you ask..

ALL bushings replaced with Delrin, Urethane(sp), Aluminum etc..
315 Nitto 555r running about 25lbs for Daily Driving
MM FL Subframes

Please let me know if I should just kick the car for being dumb or be patient till warmer and or dryer weather.

JimmyG

ps.
Between the wheel hop and the PPRV chug which is being replaced this spring.. I HATE driving this car anymore!!! :mj:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Koni shocks FTW! You'll have to ask Chris (cobrasoze) what he set his at to get rid of the wheelhop because I still have some when its wet and cold out.

TRBO VNM

Mathis brackets......

I don't think that will help reduce wheelhop. I understand the concept and why, but if he is still getting a lot of hop the brackets won't get rid of it. it is something easy and cheap to do though and any extra support is better than nothing.

typically tires, shocks, springs, 14mm bolts are what I recommend at first. some cars need more than others.

with the cold roads it will be hard to completely get rid of hop if you car has it. unfortunately there is no 1 fix for it.

Last edited:

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
I do have the 14mm bolts.. they came when I did the Bushings. I also did the low profile ones for the rear which have nothing to do with wheel hop, but since i had them out.

I had thought about Solid in the past.. but I don't want to lose the quality I have, which is improved over my GT. Stupid thing bounced fishy like over bumps..

I want to go with coil overs at some point.. is ir worth doing Sports springs in the mean time?

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I wouldn't do the super sport springs. what do you have on there now? if anything, race springs, but the adjustable koni's have worked very well for others.

spitvnm

Established Member
The wheelhop on my convertible was terrible. The single biggest difference for my car was when I put on BFG drag radials. The only other mods I have suspension wise are the kenny brown extreme matrix system along with eibach lower springs. I took off the drag radials about a month ago and now running my pilot sports and although the car rides\handles nice if I try to get on it it just hops all over the place.

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
I wouldn't do the super sport springs. what do you have on there now? if anything, race springs, but the adjustable koni's have worked very well for others.

I have stock Springs\Shocks all the way around. Go right to Coil overs or just get H&R Race Springs?

The wheelhop on my convertible was terrible. The single biggest difference for my car was when I put on BFG drag radials. The only other mods I have suspension wise are the kenny brown extreme matrix system along with eibach lower springs. I took off the drag radials about a month ago and now running my pilot sports and although the car rideshandles nice if I try to get on it it just hops all over the place.

I hoped the Nitto's would help.. Are the BFGs any good in the rain? The nittos handle great.. Cna I fit a 315 BFG on the back with my 9" rim and low profile bolt?

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

the older BFG's weren't that great in the rain at all. I don't know about the newer design. unfortunately I would still recommend sticking with the nitto's in the back for your purposes.

personally, unless you want to lower the car, I would do the shocks first.

spitvnm

Established Member
I hoped the Nitto's would help.. Are the BFGs any good in the rain? The nittos handle great.. Cna I fit a 315 BFG on the back with my 9" rim and low profile bolt?[/QUOTE]

I personally haven't been caught in the rain in them but the general consensus from what I have read is that i wouldn't trust them. I'm not sure about fitting the 315 as my setup is on an 18x10.5 inch rim and I run a 295/35 without any issues.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
Here's one mod that no one has mentioned yet...

How about going a little easier on the accelerator pedal at launch??

That always works for me. :rollseyes

04yellowcobra

Established Member
Tidoh:

Vehicle: 2003 Cobra HP: ???.? TQ: ???.? 1/4 Mile: 14.70@ 111.90

Didn't want to get to much wheelhop ... sheesh.

Ricers love you ... they are all bragging to their buddies that they beat a 03/04 cobra!!!

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
Here's one mod that no one has mentioned yet...

How about going a little easier on the accelerator pedal at launch??

That always works for me. :rollseyes

Eww.. yeah right! :pepper: hahahahah.. When I want that.. I drive my wifes pathfinder.. err wait.. nope.. I mash that pedal too.. odd thing is.. it feels faster than mine.. :cuss:

zaxjax

The Detailed Image
Established Member
Tidoh:

Vehicle: 2003 Cobra HP: ???.? TQ: ???.? 1/4 Mile: 14.70@ 111.90

Didn't want to get to much wheelhop ... sheesh.

Ricers love you ... they are all bragging to their buddies that they beat a 03/04 cobra!!!

Not everyone is powered by Enzyte like you.:poke:

Last edited:

CobraSoze

SPTZ VNM
Established Member
Koni shocks FTW! You'll have to ask Chris (cobrasoze) what he set his at to get rid of the wheelhop because I still have some when its wet and cold out.

Drastically reduced wheel hop when I added rear adjustable Koni shocks...if I mash it in 20 degrees, I'm sure I'll still hop. Since I put the Koni's on, my tires spin instead of hopping, which I'm sure we all agree is way better.

wheelhopper

Established Member
If you're going to eventually do coil overs, just do them now. They will help with wheel hop. So would a stiffer spring, but the coil overs are better. I have had both.

Users who are viewing this thread