Yet ANOTHER blower question/opinion thread...(I know, I know lol)...

Lightnin440

Established Member
Hey guys,

I know from research this has kinda become a dead horse that has been beaten over & over...but I am looking to upgrade blowers once I move back to the US soon and I am debating on running a either a 2.9 or 3.4 Whipple on the beast. I have nothing against KB AT ALL or the TVS (my buddy's GB TVS 5.0 is the nastiest thing in this part of Germany) but I like the Whipple kits, plus it's also my last name (so it'd kinda be like slapping God in the face to be a Whipple, have a GT500 and not use one hahaha).

Back to the point - I am looking to build a good street/strip car. I will be putting in Comp Stage 3 cams, C & R H/E, KB BAP, 80lb injectors, LT's, CJ 65mm TB, McLeod Clutch, LCA's, MMR springs & retainers, etc - but I do want to keep the stock hood (2.9 + 1) and I am apprehensive of ground clearance with the LT's and the 3.4 lowering kit.

My goal with either compressor is a good overall package at around 18-20psi (AFTER LT's/Cams) on pump gas: 91-93 Octane; I know I may have to leave power on the table due to crappy CA & KS fuel. I am NOT looking to build a short block anytime soon (knock on wood) so my concerns are: Is the 3.4 too much blower for me on a stock block/bottom end?? What are the hp/psi limits on a stock block that you guys figure?? Am I being unrealistic in thinking these mods could attain awesome power levels at that psi on pump fuel?? I have searched these forums on previous topics so to be truthful I am leaning more towards the 2.9 (as you may already tell) but I am curious & hopeful the insight you all have may help me out! Esp. if anyone has run each blower. I am not looking to make this thing a mostly track, rarely street car, but I just don't want to be at 18-20psi on a 2.9 and be really winding it out whereas a 3.4 may do the job more efficiently? Please correct me if I am wrong or off on this guys. Thanks!!!! Happy 4th of July!!!!

Fun at The 'Ring!!!!
Eleanor2.jpg

scandalous

Established Member
Why not go ahead and build the bottom end while the motor is out doing the cams. I know you said you did not want to do this in your post but it does make sense to do it now while the motor is out.

bull3441

Established Member
Your approach is all wrong, why would you want 18-20psi on pump? Pay the extra $100-200 and get a custom grind cam. You will not get the gain per $ you want with an off the shelf cam. You want to cam make power while bleeding off boost. If you're serious about cams call Michael Rauscher of L&M Engines or have Van of Revan Racing take care of it for you. Boost is a restriction and not a "good" thing as per performance. You're motor won't last with a 3.4 @ 20psi on pump 93. Here's a link of my car with L&M cams, TVS 779whp @ 15.8psi on 93 oct. Parisi GT500 with L&M custom cams - YouTube You're gonna spend $4k and gain 35-40whp with Comp Cams, not smart $. And in the end it's bout the tune. Take a look at this thread I started http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/811855-bmc-blown-motor-club.html

2011SVT

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Established Member
Or forego the added expense of the cams (if you are not building the bottom at the same time) and get over 700 to the wheel on pump gas with a 2.9 bolt on and supporting mods.

I've been pretty happy for the past two years at this setup and power level and my next stop if a new mill including all the good stuff which will primarily be an E85 motor. That said, I know a number of guys in my neck of the woods *not* building their bottom ends and putting Michael's cams in only. Picking in the neighborhood of 60whp and it sounds truly bad ass. :beer:

You specifically asked though if a 3.4 is too much. No, I just wouldn't do a smaller pulley on it or a 10% OD balancer. OTOH, I think with your octane restriction, a 3.4 is a negligible performance gain over a 2.9. That's also the thought process I went through when I was deciding between 3.4 and 2.9 :)

Lightnin440

Established Member
Your approach is all wrong, why would you want 18-20psi on pump? Pay the extra $100-200 and get a custom grind cam. You will not get the gain per $ you want with an off the shelf cam. You want to cam make power while bleeding off boost. If you're serious about cams call Michael Rauscher of L&M Engines or have Van of Revan Racing take care of it for you. Boost is a restriction and not a "good" thing as per performance. You're motor won't last with a 3.4 @ 20psi on pump 93. Here's a link of my car with L&M cams, TVS 779whp @ 15.8psi on 93 oct. Parisi GT500 with L&M custom cams - YouTube You're gonna spend $4k and gain 35-40whp with Comp Cams, not smart $. And in the end it's bout the tune. Take a look at this thread I started http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/811855-bmc-blown-motor-club.html

WOW, that sounds AWESOME!!! If the gains are anywhere near 60rwhp I'd be stoked! What mufflers are you using?? I will prolly end up going the 2.9 route, with LT's and L&M cams then...that will prolly yield be quite a bit of great power!! Thanks!!!

Users who are viewing this thread