yet another spark plug question......

SVTyballz

Established Member
OK. Here it is. I'm trying to decide between Denso IT-20's and IT-22's..............

The Denso cross reference chart says that NGK TR-5's equal IT-20's. I am currently using TR-6's (which are one step colder than the TR-5's according to the NGK site). The Denso chart doesn't have TR-6's listed. SO..........does that mean that the TR-6's would correspond with the IT-22's??? Since the TR-6's are one step colder than the TR-5's, could it be assumed that the correct Denso plug would be the IT-22???

Thanks for the input.

gary

SVTyballz

Established Member
Originally posted by f4sfed
I had this exact same question in the following thread.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24084&highlight=it20

I'm anxious to see what YOU come up with. :)

dammit!!! THAT'S the thread I was looking for..........I'm still trying to get ahold of someone at Denso to give me a definitive answer. I think i'm going try the 22's anyway. It's not easy to spend 85 on plugs without the right info. I'll let ya know.

btw LOL on the swedish comment. :lol: :lol:

gary

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTyballz
dammit!!! THAT'S the thread I was looking for..........I'm still trying to get ahold of someone at Denso to give me a definitive answer. I think i'm going try the 22's anyway. It's not easy to spend 85 on plugs without the right info. I'll let ya know.

btw LOL on the swedish comment. :lol: :lol:

gary

Good! I'm I could help. Yes! Please keep me posted?! VERY curious.

:lol: Thank you, I thought so too. :lol:

SVTyballz

Established Member
Ok here's my plan. I'm running tr-6's right now. The denso equivalent is the IT-20. Im going to try the NGK BR-7 which is one step colder and the equivalent of the IT-22. If they don't foul then I know that the IT-22's are the right heat range. If they do foul up then I only spent 20 bills to find out that the IT-20's are going to be the correct heat range for my setup. Sound like a good plan??? I'll keep you posted.

gary

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTyballz
Ok here's my plan. I'm running tr-6's right now. The denso equivalent is the IT-20. Im going to try the NGK BR-7 which is one step colder and the equivalent of the IT-22. If they don't foul then I know that the IT-22's are the right heat range. If they do foul up then I only spent 20 bills to find out that the IT-20's are going to be the correct heat range for my setup. Sound like a good plan??? I'll keep you posted.

gary

Makes sense to me........:shrug: but what do I know! :lol:

Yes...please keep us posted.

I'm curious as to why we seem to migrating to colder NGK's (TR6's), opposed to just getting colder Motorcraft (AGSF22FM1) plugs? Anyone? Anyone?

J. Mihovetz

Established Member
To answer this question which is quite complicated when trying to use the information that can reasonably be gotten through Denso and NGK you could get 10 different answers from 10 different people and you would still have to guess.

Long story short, 03 Cobra does not like IT-22 and colder plugs. So IT-20 is what looks best and seems to work best based on my testing. I could write a book on why, so in order to keep it simple it has to do with coil on plugs, heat in the combustion chamber, tip projection in the chamber, compression ratio, fuel octane, boost level, air charge temperature, timing/ detonation threshold, in addition to the fact that the Denso plug naturally runs colder in the chamber than the eqivalent heat range of any other plug.

So considering those facts and the little I know about modular power, IT-20 is the answer. I have some if you need them.

John Mihovetz

matt lankford

all is sold
lol, the fastest modular car in the world just told you to get the 20s...i have them, and 17lbs of boost and they seem fine, gonna pulla few today at the dyno

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by f4sfed
Makes sense to me........:shrug: but what do I know! :lol:

Yes...please keep us posted.

I'm curious as to why we seem to migrating to colder NGK's (TR6's), opposed to just getting colder Motorcraft (AGSF22FM1) plugs? Anyone? Anyone?

I am running the Motorcrafts, but the 22FM1's are actually the stock second run plugs (at least in my car). I swapped them for the 12FM1's (one level colder) due to some very minor detonation. I checked them a while back, and they are still a tad hot, but looks like the detonation is gone.

Cobra'03

Established Member

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
SVTyballz said...
I'm still trying to get a hold of someone at Denso to give me a definitive answer.
Same here.

SVTyballz also said...
I think i'm going try the 22's anyway.
Buy them, try them and then give us the heads up.

J. Mihovetz said...
So considering those facts...IT-20 is the answer.
Works for me.

SVTyballz

Established Member
Denso finally e-mailed me back and said IT-22's!!! Does that make them the right choice??? I dunno..........

I have BR-7's in right now. Gonna check em for fouling in a few hundred miles and then decide if the 22's will be ok.

gary

Cobra'03

Established Member
I guess I made a good guess, then? We have a saying in the South - "even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then".

I have a set of TR-6's and the IT22's - as soon as it warms a bit, I will through in the Densos and see what happens.

For the money saved, though, how can you go wrong with the NGK's? The Bosch is a fine design, but does not have the benefit of all the anecdotal experience poeple have had with the TR6 - I cannot find any "informed" post anywhere that can find fault with them, other than the ubiquitous "NGK's bite" type of observation.

SVTyballz

Established Member
Originally posted by mosconiac
Cobra'03 & SVTyballz: What's the verdict on the IT-22's???

TIA, mosconiac

Haven't tried em yet. The BR-7's look great though ( no fouling ) so the IT-22's will be next. Will report back on them later.

gary

Ron Short

Established Member
IT-22's are all I'll use on 03's, even at stock boost levels. The 20's work fine without a pulley, but the 22's allowed a little more to be tuned in once the boost went up. Kenne Bell also charts the "22's only" for all 03's, or 20's for 96-98's using under 10# of boost, then 22's for above. NGK TR-6's also work fine for moderate boost in these cars, but they can have slight blowout chopping that you can't feel or anything that can show up on a graph. Swapping to Denso IT-22's definitely fixes it though, then allows for a little more tuning. I think they're worth it.

BOOOOST

Established Member
FWIW, the chart that Denso shows isn't that accurate when comparing the TR5's. They are closer to the IT16. If there was an IT18, that would be pretty much dead on to it. I've personally discussed this with Denso multiple times.

Mihovetz makes a lot of valid, accurate points, but, regardless, the IT22 is a great plug to use in the '03 Cobra, as Short said. They do work well with even stock boost, although some have noticed a slight *misfire* at low rpms with them, based on them not reaching their operating temp quick enough versus an IT20. Usually some longer periods of driving, versus short quick blasts to Burger King, will prove to not show any type of noticeable miss.

All in all, you can't go wrong with an IT20 on a stock Cobra to mildly modified Cobra, though, but if you have IT22's already, it is not worth changing out. Your hp will be no different.

I purchased my Denso Iridium IT22s from RWTD for $78 including shipping. Here's the link: www.runninwiththedevil.com/sparkplugs.htm

Users who are viewing this thread