Yet another thread about tires

V8Flexin

Established Member
I have a 07 gt500 currently on 20" Shelby alcoa wheels running 285/35/20 tires. I'm thinking of getting a set of drag radials for limited street strip duty. I have a spare set of 18x9 wheels that I can use. Question is will 305/40 fit a 9" rim or do I have to settle with a 275 tire from Nitto/MT with a similar overall diameter around 27.5" so my abs don't wigg out?

Sent from my PURE XL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
I think 305 would be too wide. You would get a lot of movement in the side wall.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

RBB

Established Member
That's probably a little too much tire for a 9" wheel. I run 305 555Rs on the stock 9.5" wheel and there's already some bulge. Some will probably tell you to do it, but I wouldn't think it's a good idea.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
On a 9" rim the 305 sidewall would be too deformed from its natural shape to transfer the power properly. Also, you would be creating a lot of extremely bad heat in the sidewall possibly making the tire a blowout hazard.

A 275 tire will be more than enough to transfer power. So far a tire that would be best for your application is the Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S in 275/45R18. Street tire pattern with maximum traction.

IF you can find a way to get 18x10 rims, 305/40R18s are DEFINITELY the way to go. I have 18x10 American Muscle AMR wheels with Nitto 305/45R18s on em. They look and work well.

Now, that being said, even on the street a set of LCA relo brackets will do you worlds of good. There are guys running a 275 tire at the track with 1000+ hp pulling the front tires up. The width size is important, but proper rear suspension geometry is the key!

V8Flexin

Established Member
On a 9" rim the 305 sidewall would be too deformed from its natural shape to transfer the power properly. Also, you would be creating a lot of extremely bad heat in the sidewall possibly making the tire a blowout hazard.

A 275 tire will be more than enough to transfer power. So far a tire that would be best for your application is the Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S in 275/45R18. Street tire pattern with maximum traction.

IF you can find a way to get 18x10 rims, 305/40R18s are DEFINITELY the way to go. I have 18x10 American Muscle AMR wheels with Nitto 305/45R18s on em. They look and work well.

Now, that being said, even on the street a set of LCA relo brackets will do you worlds of good. There are guys running a 275 tire at the track with 1000+ hp pulling the front tires up. The width size is important, but proper rear suspension geometry is the key!
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to use a set of rims already in my possession just gathering dust. I've had a 295 wide tire on them but I had to use a heavy duty tire machine to install them. I was just unsure if a 275 wide tire was enough. Never ran a drag radial tire so this is all new. I don't want to waste money on a tire that still spins as I have limited funds for the car as is with the family. Another question is if I use them as a track only tire, how many years will the rubber stay usable?

Sent from my PURE XL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread