you guys with built motors step inside...

Silver '01 L

C'MON, ...BRUH!
Established Member
My diassembly/machining/assembly bill was $1900. And that was including almost $500 for a gasket set that I could have sourced for $225.

jeffs

Established Member
Are most people who have gone built have a grenaded block that cannot be reused as the foundation of an upgraded build?

I hope like heck if/when I decide to step up in the blower world that my existing motor is still in one piece, at least to salvage the block, crank, and heads, send the heads off to be ported and rebuilt, have a machine shop upgrade the rods/pistons, hopefully with the stock bore size honed out just a little for ring seal, and new bearings, and of coarse doing the install of the engine, blower, and everything myself, I hope I'm not looking at these money figures, I'd like to go twin screw and built bottom for under 7K, but that's sounding like somewhat of a dream, after hearing some of this, christ some of these older Lightnings couldn't be sold for what the motor's costing!

Silver '01 L

C'MON, ...BRUH!
Established Member
Are most people who have gone built have a grenaded block that cannot be reused as the foundation of an upgraded build?

I'd like to go twin screw and built bottom for under 7K, but that's sounding like somewhat of a dream...!

I built my stock block.
To stay under $7K you'll probably need to skip the extensive headwork.
I cleaned up my heads and found some very low mileage Comp Cams and springs to install. I had a few heli-coils installed too.
You'll need a used twin-screw to keep cost down. Those are easy to find.

If you outsource the machine work and you do everything else yourself you should be able to squeek by your $7K budget.
It takes patience to find good deals on parts, but if you've got the time it usually pays off.

wydopnthrtl

Established Member
I made no compromises with my motor. But I did everything I could myself.. (except the heads)

My motor will make 800hp (crank) and cost me right around $7k all said and done.

Check out my web page

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread