young enthusiast seeks advice

sethlovesfords

Established Member
First of all: Big thanks to the creators of this site, I love it.
When I was sixteen, my sophmore year, i bought a 1994 Lightning. I've had it now for two years, and recently, like three weeks ago, I took out a loan and bought a 2003 Lightning.
My issues are as follows: The 03 Lightning has alot of beels and whistles. It has a pulley kit that I think provides a max boost of 14 psi complete with Motoblue idler pulleys (I don't know the brand of the underdrive pulley, and i think the upper is stock but i could be wrong). I don't know for sure how much boost it's getting, because it seems as if someone re-zeroed the boost gauage in the dash. For example, when the truck is idleing, its all the way down, reading vacumm, and at like 25% throttle, it goes up to zero, so I'm not sure.
The truck also has Bassini equal length shorty headers, Bassini exhaust, and a K&N intake. It has a kenne bell boost a pump, electric fan, and obviously a tune. These are the only upgrades that I am aware of because all i have done is look. I am preparing to take the truck to Force Fed Porformance in Sac, because I was told that they have done work on it before as far as tuning.
The truck is on its third motor the way that it is set up right now. According to the local Ford dealership that did both engine swaps, the motor blew out the bottom end.
My question is what should I do? The truck is great, I have been driving it to school for about two weeks now (I'm a senior now). The current motor has about 5k on it, and it runs very consistantly and reliably. Overall, the truck has 19k miles. I am very nervous to really get on it: I have never gone past like 3500 rpms. The way i see it, the easier I i drive on it, the longer it will last, right?
From the information I have gotten, the main studs and main caps are getting a beating when i get to high rpms, but is it stressing at low rpms too because of the boost increase?
What would you do? I see alot of Lightnings on these forums that have like 500-600 hp, and assume that mine has a little over 400... it just doesn't seem right for the bottom end to blow out, but I don't want to test it unless I am sure it wont blow, you know?
Let me know what you guys think, anything helps.
If you have any questions, ask because I'll check this thread at least twice a day.
Thanks

jec1521

Jay
Established Member
The first thing you should to to a used and modified vehicle is see exactly what it has, and get a new tune. Something isn't right if it blew two motors in only 19k miles.

*EDIT*
Props for being able to afford an L so young BTW. I'm only a year older, but needed some help from the rents...

Last edited:

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Three motors in 19,000 miles :dw: .
Either:
A) The previous owner was a complete jacka$$ with more money than sense.
B) The tuner(s) were complete jacka$$es with more greed than knowledge of tuning.
C) Both A and B
D) All of the above

Welcome to the boards!

morrison_205

Established Member
first things first check out the FAQ page its stickied on the first page of the forum. you should have vaccum pressure when under normal driving only under load will it go into boost (someone explain this better for me). stock motors can handle as a general 450 hp safely, its all in the TUNE! cannot stress how important the tune is, alot of guys get a wideband to make sure A/F ratios are good at all times. oh and the weakest link in the chain is the rods.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
It has a pulley kit that I think provides a max boost of 14 psi complete with Motoblue idler pulleys (I don't know the brand of the underdrive pulley, and i think the upper is stock but i could be wrong). The truck also has Bassini equal length shorty headers, Bassini exhaust, and a K&N intake. It has a kenne bell boost a pump, electric fan, and obviously a tune. These are the only upgrades that I am aware of because all i have done is look. I am preparing to take the truck to Force Fed Porformance in Sac, because I was told that they have done work on it before as far as tuning.
The truck is on its third motor the way that it is set up right now. According to the local Ford dealership that did both engine swaps, the motor blew out the bottom end.
My question is what should I do? The truck is great, I have been driving it to school for about two weeks now (I'm a senior now). The current motor has about 5k on it, and it runs very consistantly and reliably. Overall, the truck has 19k miles. I am very nervous to really get on it: I have never gone past like 3500 rpms. The way i see it, the easier I i drive on it, the longer it will last, right?

What would you do? I see alot of Lightnings on these forums that have like 500-600 hp, and assume that mine has a little over 400... it just doesn't seem right for the bottom end to blow out, but I don't want to test it unless I am sure it wont blow, you know?
Let me know what you guys think, anything helps.

- Post a pic of the upper pulley and we'll be able to tell you if its stock or aftermarket.

- Measure the lower pulley... stock is 7.5" and is a caged unit with a built in dampener (it mounts using three arms that bolt to the motor).
8.0" = +2#
8.5" = +4#
9.0" = +6#
IIRC, measurement should be made from rib to rib of the belt surface.

-Do your research on tuners, don't just go where the truck has been before (especially given its history :eek:).

- Drive it like you want, but if you don't enjoy it why did you buy it?

This link has a lot of good info and may answer many of your questions:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226842

My advice is to figure out what you've stepped into. First off I'd perform preventative maintainance since the truck is new to you... plugs, fuel filter, air filter, etc. This way you have a clean slate to start from and can begin keeping track of your maintainance schedule. Even though you have a new motor ensuring these things are new and correct will give you piece of mind. Next, determine what mods you have. Don't be afraid to ask us if you can't figure it out (post pics if possible). Once this has been done you can decide if any "supporting mods" would be benficial given your current set-up. Refer to the link I included above as well as the FAQ section... and don't forget about the "SEARCH" button :rolling:.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Welcome, and congrats on owning the best vehciles ever built. I own both a Gen1 and Gen2 both in black and they are by far the best vehicles I have owned, although they also are the most expensive. You'll find out what I mean :poke:

To let you know, there are several good guys and members in that area. Also there is a tuner that is pretty decent, but his business is not publicly displayed much. You can also go to Nloc.net, search for the local sections, and find the club called BALA - Bay Area Lightning Owners.

There are several very important things you need to read and learn about these s/c vehicles, it is easier to read and search and spend countless hours on this site and some others versus finding them out the hard way.

Good luck, Stan

LightningClint

Every Last DETAIL
Established Member
If you're interested I live in Granite bay and would be willing to look at your truck and let you know what has been done to it. I am familiar with the guys at Force Fed. They do a lot of work for a car club called Sac Stangs in this area and have a good rep with them. I dont know if they have as much experience with mod motors as some of the supporting vendors on here, but they have tuned a few of the badder boys in town. If you would like to get together give me a call (916)844-5908 and ask for Clint or leave me a message and I'll get back to you.-Clint

Users who are viewing this thread