Your opinion please!!

dh71986

I am looking to do a couple things here. I would like every ones opinions on this, good or bad. I am thinking of doing either a turbo 302 or turbo 351w in my 1995 Mustang conv. Or I am looking to just upgrade to something newer. I know with all of these options there are pros and cons. With keeping the car and upgrading it, I am looking at lots of time and lots of money. With a newer or new car I would at least get a warranty and the reliability of a new car.
I would be happy with around 425 whp on the 302, 5-600 whp with the 351w, and on a newer car I have not decided on a goal with whp. One of my big problems I have is that I have a 351w but it is a non-roller block(1989 E9 casting number). The 5.0 that currently resides in my car is getting tired and would need a rebuild, not a problem, but there is not much room to grow with this block.
I am also stuck on transmission choices with this as well. Do I swap to a 6 speed or go with a TKO? I like the idea of a 6 speed with the double overdrive, but I do not know if I will need it. I have 3.55 gears in the car now and with a turbo I might step down to like 3.42 or 3.23. Not sure as of yet.
I am sorry this is a lengthy post, but I am trying to get some help with what to do. I would like to get a newer mustang with the Coyote 5.0, but parts for these are even more expensive then the 5.0 I currently have. I have also looked into the Charger Scat Pack cars, I know not mustang related, but these cars are fairly quick from the factory and have room for 5. I am just banging my head against the wall here trying to figure out what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sluggie24

Established Member
331 stroker, good ported aluminum heads, custom turbo cam, box upper intake on ported aftermarket lower intake, mid sized turbo setup, fuel system, stand alone computer system...500-600hp easy with the right tuner

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I'm feeling like, if you are having any itch at all for a newer car, then that is the route you should go. You could always keep this 5.0 around on the side and build slow, wait for the right parts, get good deals and maybe be happier with the end result.

dh71986

Budget? Whats that?;) I would be willing to spend money where it needs to be spent. I was thinking of using B&G kit for the turbo, using maybe aluminum heads(not sure maybe gt40s), and of course head studs, decent intake or maybe even a gt40. All of this is not set in stone, just looking to see what everyone had for an opinion. I will say this, I would be extremely happy with a car that would do the 1/4 mile in low 12s or mid to high 11s. I know the convertible chassis is not great for this, but willing to get this right as well.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
the money you pour into the 95 mustang you will never get back out of it. If you plan to keep that car until you pass on, then build a car you can truly all your own. If you have the feeling you will eventually want something else later then don't regret then the money you spend now.

dh71986

the money you pour into the 95 mustang you will never get back out of it. If you plan to keep that car until you pass on, then build a car you can truly all your own. If you have the feeling you will eventually want something else later then don't regret then the money you spend now.

I do not know if I will keep the car forever. I do know that I will not get the money invested back on selling it.

331 stroker, good ported aluminum heads, custom turbo cam, box upper intake on ported aftermarket lower intake, mid sized turbo setup, fuel system, stand alone computer system...500-600hp easy with the right tuner

I like this idea but only if I were to purchase an aftermarket block. I already have a 351w just is a non-roller block and not quite sure of valve train upgrades I would have to do.

Users who are viewing this thread