Your opinions on installing BF 4 pc. idlers...

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I am going to be installing Billet Flow 4 pices idlers and the 2.93 pulley :pepper: :banana: . I have access to a lift and need to know if it would be helpful for reaching the lower idlers. I know I could do the whole thing from the top if needed but the lift is available and I think it would be easiest to do it from the top and bottom.

What do you think? How has everyone else done it? Any opinions? Thanks for your replies. :beer:

BradN01

Yes, it's factory paint
Established Member
The lowest one is hard to reach from the top. A lift would make it real easy to change. I just used some ramps.

Last edited:

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
BradN01 said:
The lowest one is hard to reach from the top. S lift would make it real easy to change. I just used some ramps.

That's what I thought. I think the lift will help... I like standing under my car if I can avoid lying on my back. Thanks :coolman:

BIGONTS

Established Member
I have them for over 8,000mi not and I'm totally satisfied. They look great and last longer. I seen pics of stock pulleys blown up and it does not look fun. You do not need a lift to install the lower one. Just a jack or you can do it from the top if you have long skinny hands.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
NO lift needed. They are really easy to install. The only trouble I had was removing the blower pulley. I was using a pulley boys puller, which is by the way a good quality steel tool. With this tool you have to turn the wrench between the three bolts that hold the plates together, and all I had was an adjustable wrench. It worked great, it was just very slow. Going on was a breeze though. You'll love them. :rockon:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Easiest install ever. Took me less than a can of beer.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
Easiest install ever. Took me less than a can of beer.

I hope your not a real slow drinker! :beer:

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll probably use the lift just to make it easier. I also have the Billet Flow IRS Brace to install, but I may put that off. I'm not sure how much time I will have and from what I have read it is a difficult install. I was wanting to do all the BF goodies at once.

Of course after the pulleys and a new SCT tune (and finally some dyno numbers :-D ) I will be nervous without the brace installed.

dougwg

Established Member
this is how I do it:
  • remove ugly, useless pulley cover :uh oh:
  • remove 8mm bolt or plastic plug from blower shaft
  • actuate pulley tensioner and pull belt off upper pulley
  • remove upper pulley with a BilletFlow Pulley Puller
  • remove the 2 stock idlers near the top (this well give you more room to get the bottom idler near the crank
  • remove lowest idler
  • install new BilletFlow 100mm idler in lowest possition
  • install new BilletFlow 100mm idler straight up from the last idler(on the right)
  • install new BilletFlow 92mm idler on the left
  • install new BilletFlow Interchangeable Non-Slip Supercharger pulley using the BilletFlow install tool
  • install the new Snub Idler Bracket(without pulley)
  • install proper size belt
  • install the last 100mm BilletFlow idler pulley onto the Snub Idler Bracket (actuate the belt tensioner with your left hand, cup the pulley in your right hand and push the beltover using the pulley till you can slide the pulley onto the boss of the Snub Idler bracket)
  • install bolt into the Snub Idler Bracket that hold the pulley on
  • Replace 8mm bolt or plastic plug back into the blower shaft hole
  • Drive at low RPM for a few mile to let the new bearings in the idlers "break in" (10 miles or so) :read:

Note: I do everything from the top

Yes, I can almost do this in my sleep :)

:burnout:

dougwg

Established Member
10thAnnvCobra said:
snip...I also have the Billet Flow IRS Brace to install, but I may put that off. I'm not sure how much time I will have and from what I have read it is a difficult install. ...snip

With over 1100 BilletFlow IRS Diff Cover Braces sold, there have only been a handful of people that have ran into difficulties performing the install.

Most of the time, but not all the time, it boils down to mechanical ability, but you are the only one that can gauge that.

Happy Modding

Doug

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Thanks Doug

Thanks for the details. The pulley swap sounds like it is easy, even from the top. Your step by step will be very helpful.

I would agree about the IRS Brace. Mechanical ability would be a significant factor. I consider myself very capable. In looking at the rear end the only hard part seems getting access to all of the bolts. There is just not much room. I know some have droped the IRS cradle for access. That seems like it is a big two person job. If I do all that, then I'll want to replace the bushings and more. I can't afford the parts right now.

While I have the lift available I think I will install the brace. Then I can hammer with a smile. :)

97CobraTT

2003 Sonic Blue Cobra
Established Member
You can do all 4 idlers from the top, at least I did with no problems what so ever. Took me a total of 15 minutes, then another 10 to realize the belt wouldnt't work and ran to get a new one :)

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
97CobraTT said:
You can do all 4 idlers from the top, at least I did with no problems what so ever. Took me a total of 15 minutes, then another 10 to realize the belt wouldnt't work and ran to get a new one :)
Ditto, with a blower pulley swap, it took a little longer, like 30 min... tops, including a smoke break.
I put some loctite on the new hardware for the idlers too.

dougwg

Established Member
dropped? as in out of the car?, no!

Also, no need for grinding or fitting of the BilletFlow Brace

crizzut

Established Member
not out of the car, but lowered, since it wrapped around the top and bottom of the differential. Had to take of the differential brace and lower the differential on a stand. Wasn't really hard but took a little bit of time.

coolcobra

Established Member
I want to replace the 3 idler pulleys, and I measured their diameters at 90mm each, all stock Ford. I have the Metco 8lb lower pulley, and stock S/C pulley. I was expecting 2 pullies to be 100mm and one at 90mm. What gives with all 3 pulleys at 90mm?

dougwg

Established Member
coolcobra said:
I want to replace the 3 idler pulleys, and I measured their diameters at 90mm each, all stock Ford. I have the Metco 8lb lower pulley, and stock S/C pulley. I was expecting 2 pullies to be 100mm and one at 90mm. What gives with all 3 pulleys at 90mm?

is that what you ordered?

I will be out of the shop till Monday but if you call the shop today someone will take care of you... if you need to talk to me, give them your Phone number and have them relay it to me and I'll call you.

I might be able to check back here also during the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread