Your plans this winter?

Tman

Established Member
So now being cold and all what are your plans in regards to mods etc till spring arrives?
Im getting those sometime in January at BB Ford done by Wayne, even though I posted my car up for sale I wasnt in a rash to sell it too cheap so just decide to keep her for now to see how the new Cobra performs and if I like the looks in person.
-6 point roll cage
-DFX clutch
-Fidanza flywheel
-26 spines
-line-lock kit
-ported Eaton
-and to top it all I will finish up my stereo sometime in February.
Once all this is complete I will see how she runs at full weight, street tires and full tank of gas. I want to get better at this by staying away from dr's until I really get to know the car and its full potential.
Thanks! :beer:

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
This weekend I am putting in my new MGW. The bad news is I cannot try it out for another 3 - 4 months.

Tman

Established Member
I hear ya!!! Where abouts do you live? Even without snow here just before I got her into the garage Ive tried to have some fun but didnt bother after a few seconds-no traction at all,hehe. I will only drive into the shop once the parts are in and then back to the garage till probably March.

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
I live out East. Last winter I moved here from the West and I could not even drive the car up the snow covered driveway. My new neighbour had to push me.

You thinking of porting? I debated that but I still want the car semi stock until the warranty rolls out. I would really like to get a Whipple or KB.

How do you like the BFG KD on the car? Did you get the 315 on 17" rims on the rear?Were they hard to get on? Any pics?

lex

I'm Canadian eh
Established Member
Well I'm from NS and I have X-Ice tires on and got a Krown undercoat. I was unfortunate to finding a winter beater and storage for my Stang

Tman

Established Member
Yes, I will do the porting and see how fast I can get her to go with other mods.
I was thinking Whipple but not till the following year, I yet still have to see what the new Cobras will run before I would change the blower. I couldnt run the car to its full potential last season without the cage but that will change for the upcoming one! :beer:
The KD's are simply awesome! They stick like glue on the corners and are not too bad for traction in the straight line as well, I havent really tested them hard enough in the rain though. No problems with fitment, didnt even have to shave the IRS bolts just put on a 1/8 spacer and its perfect. I will get some pics posted eventually once the cage is in as well, most people dont realize how wide the tires are until they bend down or ask me since they sit nicely in the wheel well. Sup Lex!!! You guys are enjoying a nice winter I heard with some pretty warm temperatures! :thumbsup:

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Tman - so you are running 17X 10.5" on the back? At what point does one need a roll cage?

Torchred - when did you buy your Cobra? In the entire year I had mine I put on around 8000 Kms.

04torchred

Established Member
SVTkel said:
Torchred - when did you buy your Cobra? In the entire year I had mine I put on around 8000 Kms.

I bought my Cobra about 14 months ago. I put 8K on mine in 1-1/2 months this summer(put on about 20,000kms in four months this summer, OUCH). I worked out in drumheller for my engg summer job and drove back and forth to Airdrie(110kms one way). So I have 40,000kms on my Cobra, but it is daily driven and I love it. So time for a pulley.

You shouldn't need a cage unless you drag a lot and run in the 11's range(I forget the actual time, but I wouldn't worry about one) I don't take my car to the strip very often(haven't had the cobra out there yet) so for me a cage would be a waste unless the car gets stupid fast(over 800rwhp, which I want one day)

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
04torchred said:
I bought my Cobra about 14 months ago. I put 8K on mine in 1-1/2 months this summer(put on about 20,000kms in four months this summer, OUCH). I worked out in drumheller for my engg summer job and drove back and forth to Airdrie(110kms one way). So I have 40,000kms on my Cobra, but it is daily driven and I love it. So time for a pulley.

You shouldn't need a cage unless you drag a lot and run in the 11's range(I forget the actual time, but I wouldn't worry about one) I don't take my car to the strip very often(haven't had the cobra out there yet) so for me a cage would be a waste unless the car gets stupid fast(over 800rwhp, which I want one day)

I take it you are an Engineering student working in oil and gas? Who else drives to Drumheller...unless you like the Dino's. Pretty good chance I will end up back in Cow town in the next 2 years.

Putting Kms on the car is a bummer. You want to drive it, but you don't want the wear. Where is the strip around Calgary?

04torchred

Established Member
SVTkel said:
I take it you are an Engineering student working in oil and gas? Who else drives to Drumheller...unless you like the Dino's. Pretty good chance I will end up back in Cow town in the next 2 years.

Putting Kms on the car is a bummer. You want to drive it, but you don't want the wear. Where is the strip around Calgary?

It is a pretty shitty track and is out towards the end of shepards road. They don't prep well and really don't do nearly as nice of job upkeeping like Edmonton does. I don't mind wearing some stuff out on the car, gives me an excuse to replace it with better stuff.(GO FASTER PARTS)

EDIT: Yeah I am in 3rd year mechanical/manufacturing engineering

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
All right. I spent a bit of time getting a minor in Petroleum Eng. at the U of C. I was so broke when I was in school I couldn't even dream of owning a Cobra (you are fortunate). Any good tuners in Calgary? I just installed an MGW, and I was suprised how much shorter and quicker the shifts are. If youa re considering this MOD I would give it the thumbs up.

04torchred

Established Member
SVTkel said:
All right. I spent a bit of time getting a minor in Petroleum Eng. at the U of C. I was so broke when I was in school I couldn't even dream of owning a Cobra (you are fortunate). Any good tuners in Calgary? I just installed an MGW, and I was suprised how much shorter and quicker the shifts are. If youa re considering this MOD I would give it the thumbs up.

Yeah very good mod, I have had the MGW since early march. Well worth the money. I got my tune from Hermann at HBH. I hear the mustang shop is pretty good. Yeah I am pretty luck, I worked for a whole semester last year when I was in school so that helped me get the car. I came from an S-15 with 425hp/500tq that my dad and I built so this car needs to get quicker or I will get bored. Plus you know the potential is there and you have to leave it alone, that just kills me.

We will have to get a bunch of Calgary owners together and go have some fun one night. Show those US guys we can have a good time pissing around to.

Tman

Established Member
Hi, sorry didnt reply soon enough but its been crazy for me in the last couple of weeks! I was pretty much kicked out of the track when I hit 12.6, the only way I could stay was to shut her down after 1/8 and just coast down the 1/4.
If you are a vert you cant go quicker than 13.49, anything under that you must have a cage NHRA approved as well. It kinda made my season that much shorter,hehe, but I will do my best in the coming one. For a hardtop anything under 11.49, even though my friend kept running 11.2 and they didnt say I thing until last drag races of the season-lucky guy!

Special Blend

Signature Seizure
Established Member
I am so up in the air with what to do with my car. I think i'm just going to concentrate on paying it off before any more big mods.
I'll just continue enjoying it as is and use the mod money for extra payments.

04torchred

Established Member
Special Blend said:
I am so up in the air with what to do with my car. I think i'm just going to concentrate on paying it off before any more big mods.
I'll just continue enjoying it as is and use the mod money for extra payments.

Yeah getting the car paid off is a really good plan. Then you should have plenty of money to play with. If not then grab a pulley and have fun with that for a while. Kinda do a little bit here and there and have fun with the car. We can do lower pulley swaps in the spring, I am pretty sure I am getting one.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
SVTkel said:
Tman - so you are running 17X 10.5" on the back? At what point does one need a roll cage?

If you have enough power putting in a roll cage always helps stiffen up the car....

Users who are viewing this thread