Your thoughts on a 2003L, Bolt ons

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
Ok, been reading a few post, and see alot off ppl using the word kaboom. :bash:

So, Im asking for some opinions. I have a 2003L. So far, I have added an Electric fan, Metco 4# pulley, C & L power pipe (no HP gain), C & L 95mm maf and filter, C & L upper plenum, Accufab Single blade TB. And a superchips tunner ( flashed the stcok chip). Im running a med to mild tune, Namely 19 deg of timing with 12 to 1 fuel (sometimes goes to 11.5) on one flash, and a second tune with 20 deg of timing with the same fuel. I opted not to install the bypass for boost. Its a Daily driver (weekends and evenings). how worried should i be about the rods. I heard the cranks were stout, but the rods suffered the same weakness as the OLD 390FE motors :poke: So far im at 389 on the dyno, but havent installed the 95mm maff kit (didnt have the correct data sheet and the fuel ratio went bezerk) or the elctric fan, so probably looking at 400rwhp- 415rwhp<-- (optomistic) :beer:

Last edited:

OH-MAN

Established Member
FOG>Dave said:

So Im running a med to milf tune, <-- (optomistic) :beer:

Where did you get a MILF tune. I want one of them :bowdown:
Sorry I couldn't help it :-D

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
FOG>Dave said:

So, Im asking for some opinions. I have a 2003L. So far, I have added an Electric fan, Metco 4# pulley, C & L power pipe (no HP gain), C & L 95mm maf and filter, C & L upper plenum, Accufab Single blade TB. And a superchips tunner ( flashed the stcok chip). Im running a med to milf tune, Namely 19 deg of timing with 12 to 1 fuel (sometimes goes to 11.5) on one flash, and a second tune with 20 deg of timing with the same fuel. I opted not to install the bypass for boost. Its a Daily driver (weekends and evenings). how worried should i be about the rods. I heard the cranks were stout, but the rods suffered the same weakness as the OLD 390FE motors :poke: So far im at 389 on the dyno, but havent installed the 95mm maff kit (didnt have the correct data sheet and the fuel ratio went bezerk) or the elctric fan, so probably looking at 400rwhp- 415rwhp<-- (optomistic) :beer:
you can go about 450hp on a stock lower with a good tune.

Screaming01L

Go Fast or Go Home
Established Member
scuba-matt said:
You should see 415 easy. Is this your L because your avatar says 2004 L not 2003 :??:

Sorry about that, thanks for pointing that out. Dont I feel stupid now.

415 easy? It wasnt wanting to make more than 389 with the 19 deg of timing and the stock maf(11.5 to 1 fuel) You think the fan and 95MM maf will make that much? Im also going to be cleaning the intercooler and adding the oile seperator. Checked the plugs and saw no sign of oil, but intake plenum had been heavily coated. when i did the change

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
With all the mods you have listed yes 415 easy. and did you change the plugs wile it was all apart with those mods 4# pully exct. I would go with a 160 T-stat and new plugs NGK TR-6. The E-fan will help too. And don't forget to put a FTVB on the trans.

Last edited:

mavado007

Established Member
nastynivek said:
Is the Stage2 FTVB too harsh of a shift for a daily driver? I'm getting ready to ordrer the Stage1. :beer:

It's an LFP Stage 1 and 2. If it's a daily driver I would stick with the Stage 1, Stage 2 is a throw your ass in the seat shift.

LFP Stage 1..........$189.00
ftvb.....................$225.00

Both Valve bodies are made from factory Ford Parts and both eliminate soft shift and shift timing. The only difference is money spent. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread