Your thoughts on my situation

Wiseguy

Established Member
I think they do not know how or to do or understand an alignment procedure. Even your caster as close as you can. Set it for max positive you can( this is usually 5.5 positive with your setup) Usually a degree difference will pull. I do not get really aggressive on the camber, negative 0.6 is fine. Weight makes a difference, usually have the person sit in the car or use weights as a bias for the particular setup. I like toe-in because high speed run on the street will push the toe even. Setting the rear up first on a irs car is most important.

TTRIMSVT

Established Member
I think they do not know how or to do or understand an alignment procedure. Even your caster as close as you can. Set it for max positive you can( this is usually 5.5 positive with your setup) Usually a degree difference will pull. I do not get really aggressive on the camber, negative 0.6 is fine. Weight makes a difference, usually have the person sit in the car or use weights as a bias for the particular setup. I like toe-in because high speed run on the street will push the toe even. Setting the rear up first on a irs car is most important.

true.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Interesting... I'm having the same issue. (I don't mean to hijack) I just had H&R Race springs, MM cc plates and aluminum rack bushings installed at CJ Pony Parts. The alignment shop, Chapman Ford in Lancaster, said that it was as close as they could get it. I thought that the MM cc plates would allow a full range of adjustments so that alignment could be set exactly. Am I wrong? Here are the spec's I ended up with:

Front Left Camber -0.5 / Front Right Camber -0.5
Front Left Caster 5.3 / Front Right Caster 5.2
Front Left Toe 0.10 / Front Right Toe 0.10

I had wanted to have the Caster set at 4.5 but this is as close as they could get. Why would that be? Are these settings ok? How will it be for tire wear? :shrug: Sorry for all the questions, I don't know a lot about alignments and I just got new tires so I am concerned.

Maybe I just need to go to a shop that is familiar with the MM cc plates and knows what they are doing. Silver Spring is not real close to me, but to have someone good do the job it would be worth the drive to Billy's. :thumbsup: What do you all think?

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Billy installed my bumpsteer kit and aligned the car this past weekend and it drives great. Takes corners with authority. I still need to get some aluminum rack bushings, I'm just slacking on those because they are so cheap.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
Interesting... I'm having the same issue. (I don't mean to hijack) I just had H&R Race springs, MM cc plates and aluminum rack bushings installed at CJ Pony Parts. The alignment shop, Chapman Ford in Lancaster, said that it was as close as they could get it. I thought that the MM cc plates would allow a full range of adjustments so that alignment could be set exactly. Am I wrong? Here are the spec's I ended up with:

Front Left Camber -0.5 / Front Right Camber -0.5
Front Left Caster 5.3 / Front Right Caster 5.2
Front Left Toe 0.10 / Front Right Toe 0.10

I had wanted to have the Caster set at 4.5 but this is as close as they could get. Why would that be? Are these settings ok? How will it be for tire wear? :shrug: Sorry for all the questions, I don't know a lot about alignments and I just got new tires so I am concerned.

Maybe I just need to go to a shop that is familiar with the MM cc plates and knows what they are doing. Silver Spring is not real close to me, but to have someone good do the job it would be worth the drive to Billy's. :thumbsup: What do you all think?

Your settings seem OK to me. More positive Caster is good. Caster also will not affect tire wear.

Mike

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
The "Just Tires" in Norristown... ASk for partick.... He did mine... He does the alignment for many SCCA members who trailor their track cars up to him.. Very good work, I had him do my past two alignemts... and since its a just tires their prices arent as high as if he were at his own shop..

Edit.... Nevermind, thought you were from PA...

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
Your settings seem OK to me. More positive Caster is good. Caster also will not affect tire wear.

Mike

Thanks for the feedback Mike. I'm glad to hear that Caster will not affect tire wear. I still don't understand the shop saying that it is as close as they could get it. Aren't the MM cc plates supposed to allow a "full range of adjustment"? Is this so called problem common with others who have the MM cc plates? :shrug:

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback Mike. I'm glad to hear that Caster will not affect tire wear. I still don't understand the shop saying that it is as close as they could get it. Aren't the MM cc plates supposed to allow a "full range of adjustment"? Is this so called problem common with others who have the MM cc plates? :shrug:

I have the MM CC plates as well and the lowest Caster setting I can get is about 5.3, like you. Not sure why or what causes it but I believe it is pretty common. I had UPR CC plates on and then switced to the MM plates. Both plates could not get me down to factory spec of about 4.5 Caster. I don't know if it has to do with the actual mounting position of the plates or not. But like i said, more positive Caster is actually good.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread