your thoughts on "upgrading"

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Guys, since I've got the slobalt, I've been noticing that my terminator leaves me unsatisfied in two areas. The cobalt completely out does the cobra in steering/handling composure and refinement/fit finish/interior. With that said, I have been considering a few options, partially inspired by George.

1. Keep the terminator, without performing many mods other than upkeep mods. I hate how everytime I mod something, something else breaks or needs to be upgraded as a result. In a few years I could see putting a Whipple on, but not for a while.

2. Sell the cobra, and buy one of 3 cars next year. I'm thinking GT500, GTS Viper, and C6 in that order. All 3 cars would cost in the ballpark of $40K. All 3 cars would have the handling and interior I should be satisfied in, with maybe the exception of the Viper. I'm not sure how rattle free the viper is. All 3 cars would be modded, but might not have as much modding potential as the terminator. All 3 cars would be open tracked regularly and driven to milan. I like shelby for the modability and gorgeous looks. I like the viper for the looks, and the chassis being able to plant all that power on street tires. And I like the vette because it's lightweight and I could probably swap Z06 parts to it without too much trouble, although it's probably the ugliest of the 3.

So what are your thoughts? The cobra is totally paid off, and I could use the money right now for a down payment on a house. I feel that if I put all my savings into a house, I would still be comfortable financing a 40K car in a year and having funds left over for some mods.

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
#1...Buy a house. You are spot on with that decision IMO. I always try to prioritize my purchases in order of necessity. Toys are on the "luxury" list and if they don't fit into the budget...I will pass.

As far as your wish list...that is totally personal preference. I have a tendency to continuously upgrade if the above stated criteria is in order. Each one of my Cobras I enjoyed immensly during my ownership...but I have to say that I have NEVER been disappointed with each upgrade.

If I follow my track record...someone may have a shot at buying a clean, low miles Shelby in a couple years!;-)

Jason...I will be more than happy to let you drive and pick the Shelby apart after I get it if that will help you with your decision.

Any way you go...I think it's a win!!:beer:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
My good friend I suggest either throw a bit of MM (the MidlifeC mod ((that shit is on f@cking RAILS!!)) at the snake or the C6.

Coilovers, bushings galore, shocks and a pulley/tune away from decimating the COBALTiness from your short term memory.

1-800-MidlifeC for the cure to your dilema bro...

Take a ride in that jalopy. He actually scared me going through a Michigan left at 60 mph last year....:eek:

btw, you qualify for unlimited lift time and postban assistance should you decide option M:thumbsup:

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
I vote for keeping the cobra... why have another $500+ payment and more expensive insurance? I wish mine was paid off... :nonono:

as for number 2 (IMO) I think I would reverse your order... tuff call on the c6 and viper though... I just think $ for $ your getting more bang for your buck with a new c6, when I was 440rwhp I raced a white one with headers and barely walked away from him... white with black wheels, it was a nice looking car...

In the end its all up to you though, I'm sure you'll do what will make you most happy!

:beer:

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
I say go for the House FIRST.
Take the money put it down on the house. Probably get you away from paying PMI. Get a second mortgage for like 0% then go buy the car you want. This could all happen within 6 months (over the winter).
You will never loose money on a house. I look at my house as an investment that helps finance my other hobbies.

My order of cars would be GT500 then Viper then C6.
Gt500 and viper will have the most curb appeal as vettes are run of the mill and all look so similar your not going to get the wow factor.
GT500 looks like it's going to have lots of easy mods to up the power and handling.
Viper parts are expensive but you already have a great base handling car with lots of power.
The Vette if upgraded to ZO6 parts is going to be a C6 with upgrades no big deal to me.

As far as an open track or ¼ mile car. I think all the cars you listed are going to be in the same class.
Since you have a daily driver I would choose the car that has the most equal potential for performing at the track, open track, and street for you.
Ask yourself how many times are you going to go to these events?
What kind of numbers and times do you want to run at these events?
How much is it going to cost you to do this above and beyond the price of the car itself.

JP:)

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Buy the house and keep the Cobra. This is not a slam by any means and no disrespect meant so don't take it that way but........ The Cobalt is a chick car and front wheel drive (I think) and you cannot compare the Cobra to a chick car.... Anyway, buy the house. It's a buyer's market right now and you should be able to find a killer deal anywhere around here!

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Postban, thanks for the props!

Jason - I agree with others; get the house first so you can build equity, and have a tax write off. Most importantly, a big garage to store your cars, parts, and tools.

Like JP said, what do you want to do the most, how competitive do you want to be, and how much money and time do you want to be investing?

If you OT or drag seriously you need a second set of tires and rims.
If you push hard enough, you will always have to replace broken and consumeable parts.

The SN95 platform has the advantage of a ready and cheap supply of parts, but will not be competitive in OT.

The other cars will be more competitive, but acquisition and maintenance costs will be higher.

Do you want to spend more money or time on your hobby?

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. Interesting that some of you like the C6, that would be a distant third for me. I see myself more as a Ford/mustang guy more than chevy or dodge.

George, thanks for the generous offer, I will definitely take you up on that.

As far as the car goes, I'd like to able to run mid 11's and take it on a road course the next day and be competitive there as well.

Money for another car isn't a big deal for me. A down payment for a house would be a bit more of a stretch, just in terms of available capital. I don't quite have the 20% down payment available right now, and getting that would eliminate PMI, and in the long run give me more capital to spend on a car. I think if I wasn't considering buying a house soon, this would be an easier decision, as I would probably just keep the current car.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
Kev, no offense taken, I know the cobalt is pretty weak. It kind of bothers me though that an economy car really out classes the cobra in many ways.

Jpjr

Established Member
You can't fundamentally argue that a car is an investment, so that makes the house a better deal. That said, Michigan's real estate market is one of the worst in the country and with at least 10k plus union job losses coming over the next year things are probably only going to get worse. I'm not saying not to buy, just make sure you are comfortable parking your car and your family for a while.

plan b

hooters for looters
Established Member
Jason, you already have the mid 11 part down. I know you could easily shave 2 tenths off you're best time with good track prep. Get together with Gary at the next MCT get together and go for a ride in his car. I think you will notice a big difference in handling.

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
plan b said:
...at the next MCT get together and go for a ride in his car. I think you will notice a big difference in handling.

Or meet me for lunch one day. Slow's is fantastic!

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I vote for the house, even in these uncertain times

Last edited:

mjzilinski

Kenne Bell
Established Member
I'd say buy a house and keep the cobra for a while. I think that would be the first thing I would do before I got a new car. When it comes time for a new car I suggest the viper or the gt500. C6's are becomming way to common now.

quad

Established Member
Get the GT500 and sleep in it. You can use the public restrooms to wash up and such. Make sure you park the car somewhere you can plug in your TV etc. so you can watch Monster Garage. j/k

I vote for you to get a house first. As George said a new car falls in the "toy" category and you need to build equity somewhere. I need to do the same thing. That's why I'm not modding the Cobra too much right now.

Users who are viewing this thread