Z-Rated tires on an '03/04 Cobra??

TORNATIC!!

Established Member
I'm wondering if any '03/04 Cobra owner has or have had Z-Rated tires on their '03/04 Cobra?? I know they come from the factory with those F1 200 MPH capable tires even though a stock Cobra only goes to about 158 mph.

What would be the disadvantage of putting Z-Rated tires on a '03/04 Cobra??
Also what would be the total price for a set of F1 tires on a Cobra??

wheelhopper

Established Member
From my understanding the Z rated tires were advertised for speeds over 149mph. I have never seen a top speed limit on them, though I'm sure they have one.

On the other hand I have Nitto DR, V rated, on the back of my car which I drive on the street as if they were an every day tire and they handle the same IMO as the stock Goodyears.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I replaced the stock Goodyears with Pirelli P Zero Nero Z rated tires when the Goodyears were worn. I prefer the Z rated tires and no I do not drive fast enough to actually need them. For price comparison try Discount Tires.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Total cost for a set of F1s. Don't know about your area but I went to the local Goodyear and they wanted about $285.00 a piece. Plus mounting, balancing, taxes, and road hazzard would probably put them close to about $320.00 a piece. For four I figured quickly about $1,275.00 or so. I have talked to Sam's Club and other Goodyear dealers and they are all close to the same price, but then again it would be what the area of your country for the prices.

OBTW, my 1990 GT with supercharger, 3.73 gears and plenty of power has been riding on BFGoodrich V rated tires for about 12 years. Never a problem or issue with them. I know its not a Cobra but it did come with Gatorback Z rated tires from the factory.

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
^^Traction is based on the traction rating not the speed rating......Z rated is rated for continuous speed of 149+ so z rated is fine........go to tirerack.com for the lowest prices on the net

birch

Go 'Eers!
Established Member
TORNATIC!! said:
I'm wondering if any '03/04 Cobra owner has or have had Z-Rated tires on their '03/04 Cobra?? I know they come from the factory with those F1 200 MPH capable tires even though a stock Cobra only goes to about 158 mph.

What would be the disadvantage of putting Z-Rated tires on a '03/04 Cobra??
Also what would be the total price for a set of F1 tires on a Cobra??

Spend your money on GS D3's, not the F1's. (if you stay Goodyear) I personally think the F1's are garbage. But that's just my opinion. I only got 10k out of the stockers..and that was with pretty easy driving.

Users who are viewing this thread