Z06 Scam? I need your help.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
I found a ridiculously good deal on an '07 Z06. I have been contacting this guy trying to figure out how he can pull one over on me. Here's the recent conversation:

"The 2007 Chevrolet Corvette ZO6 is still for sale. It is in perfect condition and it has never been involved in an accident. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the car, it has only 2,500 miles on it. The mileage is accurate and the car runs very well, it doesn't have any mechanical problems. The car is 100% clean with no lien on the title. There are no problems with the registration since the car has clear US title and it is currently registered in Ohio.
The reason why I am selling the car so cheap for $X is that I am recently moved in London, UK. The car is a US specs and was manufactured for the US market. Since I am in London, UK and the car doesn't meet the UK emission standards so I won't bring it here beacuse I can't use it nor sell it here. Because I must get rid of it, I am practically giving it away only because I have no other choice. If we come to an agreement I can arrange for you to get the car at your door-step in a matter of few days, having also the chance to inspect it before buying.

Looking to hear from you asap!"

I asked if I could see the car and that I wanted the VIN.

"Thank your for the interest and your fast response.
I had some problems with a buyer who wasn't serious, he told me at the last moment that he doesn't have all the money. Due to this bad incident the car is in the shipping company custody, sealed in a container and ready for the shipment. Since the car is at the shipping company, it should be better and cheaper for both of us to take advantage of this fact. It would save us both time and money.
I assure you that the deal is legitimate and often insured by eBay vehicle purchase protection. eBay guarantees protection for the seller's vehicle and in the same time for the buyer's money, such as: against fraud and material misrepresentation, providing coverage for any risks my car or your money can undertake. eBay will contact you with the transaction details and the payment instructions. The money are held by eBay until you receive, inspect and accept the car. If something proves to be wrong and you want to return the car, you will be fully refunded and you have 7 days to ship it back on my expense.
To go further eBay require the buyer's details to open a case regarding our deal. As soon as your full name and the shipping address are confirmed to me, we can go to the next step. Here is the VIN# 1G1YY26E875115302.

Hope to hear from you immediately. Looking forward to your swift response."

I asked for his phone number.

"I'm so sorry but I am stationed in a highly restricted US Marine base. I will try to get a permision to go out and I will call you. I swear I do all my best. The rules do not permit us to use the phone for personal purposes, to leave the base under any circumstances nor do any other personal things. That leaves us the e-mail as the only way to communicate if they won't to give me the permission to leave the base. I know this is kind of hard for both of us but I hope you understand, the least I can do is to be totally honest and sincere with you. I can assure you that I would have wanted as much as you to have a phone or any other way of communication beside the e-mail. Unfortunately this is the way things are. You must understand that I have no other choice and this is the only one. Let's not let something so petty ruin the deal. Thank you so much"

I know this sounds pretty shady, but I don't want this to slip out of my hands if it is really true. Can anyone look up that VIN? If this is the real deal, he must be a crack addict looking for quick cash to fuel his addiction.

Last edited:

shhak

Established Member
200% SCAM!

Anytime they tell you they're over seas and the car will be shipped "free of charge" ITS A SCAM!!!

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Good thing you checked here first. There is no doubt that this is a scam. Too many red flags to list.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
I've seen this before maybe 3-4 years ago where a guy was to sent overseas and had to sell off his car ridic cheap. Same kinda scam, only not from Nigeria.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
I was 99% positive after he re-assured the ridiculous price and once he said he was overseas. Is there anything I can do to find out more about this guy. Since he responded to me through e-mail, I have his IP. What can I do with this. I want to track him down so I can be 100% positive of this...and maybe F him over a little bit.

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I was 99% positive after he re-assured the ridiculous price and once he said he was overseas. Is there anything I can do to find out more about this guy. Since he responded to me through e-mail, I have his IP. What can I do with this. I want to track him down so I can be 100% positive of this...and maybe F him over a little bit.

Why? Honestly, for as much as people think that they know about e-dectective work, an IP doesn't really offer much. Just leave it alone, if anything just keep stringing him along and wasting his time.

sk8r4life2112

Established Member
whered you find the ad? if its over autotrader i had the same type of shit try to be pulled over me, the guy said we would do it with ebay, but autotrader uses paypal not ebay and i then contacted ebay and they told me to send the email he sent and to have them check to see if it was legit....and it wasnt

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Why? I want to find out if I won the lottery. There's always a chance. Also, it's not hurting me by finding out more information. This is VERY likely to be a scam. Almost certain. I do like making people who try to screw me over pay for it. So I might as well with this Nigerian. I'll kill one of his goats or something.

shhak

Established Member
I've had people try to pull that scam on me on at least 4 seperate occasions. I called about an ad in a local newspaper about a Hayabusa one time. Guy emailed me pics and everything. Turns up, the bike was on ebay and the guy stole the pics.

Then I found a cobra on racingjunk.com Same thing. There must be some sort of value cut off as to where they can get in serious trouble cause most of the time it was like $3900 or something like that.

Recently I called about a Cadillac CTS-V for $9900. "Oh, I'm over in the UK on some urgent family business..." BS!!!

Anytime someone tells me they're overseas, I just move on.

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
I think Ive even heard that exact scam before haha.....yeah def SCAM!!!

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
free_candy_van.jpg

wvmystichrome

Established Member
SCAM !!!! My buddy about fell for the same crap. I finally told him to use a third party escrow agent to hold the money for both of them until he was satisfied with his purchase then and only then would they release the money to the seller. Guy ran like his pants was on fire.

canibus

Established Member
so now you want to be 100% it's a scam. if i was 99% sure about anything i would take my own word for it

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread