Z06 vs Cobra freeway roll...

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
After work today another board member (maddrabitt) and I ran twice from a 65 mph or so roll. We're cruising along side each other, letting traffic ahead of us in our two lanes pull away a bit. We agree to go on the 3rd honk, with Rob doing the honking.

On the first run the Cobra gets a quick jump of a car or so, staying pretty much in that spot through 3rd, and then he starts pulling away pretty hard in 4th. Traffic is coming up fast so we both hit the brakes and I slowly cruise up next to his car. I shout/motion that I want to go one more time, so again we let traffic pull away so we get clear runs.

On the second go around he gives me the jump, and I take it, since I clearly lost the first race. I jump out a car or so, with him just creeping up in 3rd, but when in 4th he's pretty quickly pulling hard yet again. Sweet races, and I had a grin from ear to ear as I pull up for the last time and yell over "You've got a FAST CAR!!" - Rob points at his ear, so I don't think he heard what I said, but I'm sure he understood the meaning.

My mod is commonly called the zip-tie mod. Basically the stock airbox with the upper cover removed, and the air filter zip-tied to the airbox bottom. The K&N cone filter (despite what it says in sig) is gone. Otherwise my car is bone stock, right down to the factory tuning. I think Rob (maddrabitt) has a 2.8 pulley, tuning and some sort of aftermarket intercooler. Not bad for a nearly stock Z06. Now it's time for more mods :)

Last edited:

Interspy24

Established Member
Wow, that's pretty dang good to be keeping up with a pullied cobra. What are your plans for the car?

Btw, I just saw a vid a few days ago from need2speed where a silver z06 with an intake and nittos took a pullied cobra.

Last edited:

maddrabitt

Established Member
hey George great runs! Yeah, I couldnt hear what you were saying, but I kinda figured it out. Not sure if you noticed, but on the first run I started in 2nd, which pretty much broke the nittos on the initial stab. I figured I was done for but I got back into 3rd pretty quick. Now you just need to get those long tubes put on ( clark told me your plan-if you start beating me i might have to tell the smog man J/k). anyways, as always I was drooling over your car-even though you dont park out front anymore. have a merry xmas

Last edited:

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Interspy, I wouldn't really say I kept up. 3rd gear was close, but in 4th it was over. I have a set of stainless long tube headers and high flow cats sitting in one of the spare bedrooms waiting to go in. I also plan to get a small 100 dry shot, and then get the car tuned. I haven't decided whether to buy the tuning software and dyno time with wideband O2, buy software and wideband hardware, or just pay a local shop to do it. This stuff probably won't happen until the spring, though, because I won't have much time to install the headers until then, and the N2O and tuning come after the headers.

Rob, yes, good runs and very fun :) Funny you should mention the loss of traction during the first run, because I had the traction control turned on (always do) and the TC light came on during the first run, since I guess we were going a bit slower than the second run. Although not nearly as sticky as Nittos, I did break the Goodyear F1's free during the first sprint. Yeah, I'm hoping my idea works. I have a MIG welder, but Roger has a TIG welder, so when I get back from vacation I'm going to ask him if he'll do it.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

Interspy24

Established Member
Nuke61 said:
Interspy, I wouldn't really say I kept up. 3rd gear was close, but in 4th it was over. I have a set of stainless long tube headers and high flow cats sitting in one of the spare bedrooms waiting to go in. I also plan to get a small 100 dry shot, and then get the car tuned. I haven't decided whether to buy the tuning software and dyno time with wideband O2, buy software and wideband hardware, or just pay a local shop to do it. This stuff probably won't happen until the spring, though, because I won't have much time to install the headers until then, and the N2O and tuning come after the headers.

Merry Christmas.

Oh, I figured/assumed he slowly pulled on you in fourth and maybe put a couple cars on you. I know those longtubes should help close that gap, and I that thing should just sail on the juice. Definately keep us updated with how the runs go after the longtubes and/or spray.

A guy I know had his z on the spray and with a 125 shot. I believe he was trapping around 126mph, and besides the nitrous he only had the zip tie mod and a ghl catback. That thing was hauling up top.

maddrabitt

Established Member
funny you should mention spray George. Once I get my taxes in Im getting my blower ported and then around summer time I was also gonna run a little spray. damn this is gonna get expensive...

bd2bonez06

Established Member
Nuke61 said:

Rob, yes, good runs and very fun :) Funny you should mention the loss of traction during the first run, because I had the traction control turned on (always do) and the TC light came on during the first run, since I guess we were going a bit slower than the second run. Although not nearly as sticky as Nittos, I did break the Goodyear F1's free during the first sprint. Yeah, I'm hoping my idea works. I have a MIG welder, but Roger has a TIG welder, so when I get back from vacation I'm going to ask him if he'll do it.

Merry Christmas.

Nice runs, but you definately need to take the traction control off and hold the button down a couple of seconds and put it in competitive driving mode, traction control cuts fuel to the engine when engaged ( not good when racing) although it doesnt sound like this would have affected this outcome

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I know about Competetive Mode, and that's what I used at Carlsbad Raceway before it was closed down; I also knew a bit about Robs mods and figured I'd get beaten pretty easily, since his car has roughly 100 more horses than mine, so I didn't see the point. As you said, it wouldn't have affected the outcome. On top of all that, I never expected to break the tires free at 60+ mph :eek:

Damn Rob, nitrous too? :coolman: At this rate I'll never catch up :) That's O.K. though, since I know I'll still be able to beat 99% of the cars out there, and I have fun even if I lose :beer:

Whitedevil, this wasn't an arranged race... we just both happened to be at the same place at the same time. If you drive the I-5 corridor, you probably see a race like ours every month or so. However, most of the time it's a couple of ricers. Probably not often you see a Cobra/Z06 run.

Last edited:

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
You seem like a pretty cool guy. I wish we had Z06 owners like that down in Misery that just love fast cars period. I'd love to run a Z06 someday but I think as I sit now with just CAI, Midpipe and CB I'd get owned. I'd still want to do it anyway for the thrill of racing a Z06.

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
You seem like a pretty cool guy. I wish we had Z06 owners like that down in Misery that just love fast cars period.

Thanks. I just try and not get tied to any brand badging. I don't care who makes the fast car... if its fast, I'm interested.

I'd love to run a Z06 someday but I think as I sit now with just CAI, Midpipe and CB I'd get owned.

I know how you feel; I figured Rob would smoke me, but even so, I wanted to see how far back I'd be.

Edit: I didn't notice that your Cobra dyno'd at a bit over 400 Hp. I agree with 03EBZ06 that a race with a Z06 would be a toss up.

Last edited:

03EBZ06

IYAOYAS
Established Member
4.6modular said:
You seem like a pretty cool guy. I wish we had Z06 owners like that down in Misery that just love fast cars period. I'd love to run a Z06 someday but I think as I sit now with just CAI, Midpipe and CB I'd get owned. I'd still want to do it anyway for the thrill of racing a Z06.

With your 400+ rwhp, I would think it would be a close race with stock Z06, most likely a driver's race.

maddrabitt

Established Member
Gotta say Im with Nuke on this one, Im just a big fan of fast cars. Obviously Im partial to my cobra but if its fast Im into it, even if it smokes me.

boosted99si

Established Member
anyone know what a stock 01 or 02 zo6 will run in the quarter? cause i looked up info on my car (i got it when it was turning cold and the tracks closed down havent yet to run it but plan on during the spring) and it is supposed to be able to run 12.8 stock.....will my roush be able to take a zo6 or what?

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Typical magazine times were mid 12s for '02+ Z06, and only slightly slower for the '01. What you'll actually run up against is highly driver dependent. Quickest stock is high 11s/low 12s, and slowest can be in the 13s.

Your Roush should be a drivers race with any stock Z06.

YlwCbra98

UCSD Student = Poor
Established Member
You guys ever meet anywhere just to hang out and shoot the shi.t? I'm in San Diego too and wouldn't mind meeting up with some guys on some forums just to hang out and drool over some cars.

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
YlwCbra98, one time I planned to meet other Z06 owners at a diner in San Marcos, but forgot all about it -- doh!!!

Users who are viewing this thread