Z28 vs. cam'd GT?

magRT496

Established Member
My neighbor has an 01+ mustang gt. it has LT headers, off road x, flowmasters, intake, and a set of cams. If he hadnt told me, i wouldnt even know he had the cams though, so i imagine their not very powerful. He's also on 245 rubber, and its a 5spd. Heres the catch though, he hasnt had the car tuned for the cams yet. Hes run a best of 13.1 But not consistently, usually around 13.3's

I have a 98 z28 auto, with k&n filter, intake,slp catback and some prettu bald 275 nitto dr's. I have run a best of 13.47 with a 2.1 60'. Who do you think will win? i plan on going from a dig and a roll.

Last edited:

QuikGT

Banned
wow...that should be a good one.....but with the addition of cams he probably gained no more than 15rwhp out of them (cams in a 2v dont make much power without better heads) ....so from a roll and from a dig it should be a great race...

good luck

magRT496

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys, ill try to get it on video but im not promising excellent quality, all i have is my canon digi cam but it takes ok vids.

countrysquire

Search then Ask
Established Member
my money is on you because he is probably full of sh*t say that a light bolt on gt is gonna run a 13.1......but i could be wrong

countrysquire

Search then Ask
Established Member
Sinultros said:
13.1 is reachable with the mods he have. Full bolt-on and cammed GTs can run 12s, though rare.

Really? I just thought it would take more than that. I know yall are lighter but its hard to believe that air intake and exhaust with a set of small cams would get you going that quick. BTW nice car man

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
QuikGT said:
wow...that should be a good one.....but with the addition of cams he probably gained no more than 15rwhp out of them (cams in a 2v dont make much power without better heads) ....so from a roll and from a dig it should be a great race...

good luck

2v na cams pick up at least 30 hp and some torque.

2V heads are not bad, any after market head on the market right now are STOCK PORTED heads only.

it is more bene. to port yoru heads while doing cams though.

I dont knwo how that guy woudl run around without a tune though.

he sill win from roll and dig. z28 will pull out of hoel though...

SVTCOBRAKID

Established Member
If he is actually running those times he might have ya. Should be close though. Good luck and be safe.

SHONOFF98

Established Member
QuikGT said:

good luck

Depends on what kind of cams hes got. Mine picked up 30 PEAK and upwards of 40 at higher rpms.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
If he is already beating you out in ET you won't get him from a dig. (what kind of 60ft you seeing??)... without knowing trap speeds I can't comment on the roll on race... you never know if he picked up a lot of top end mph or just mid-low range power...

magRT496

Established Member
LoL he also sprays a 100 - 150 shot on the car without a tune amd has run a best of 12.1, haha he is crazy.

What would full bolt ons be for a GT? headers,mid pipe, catback, pulleys, intake, what else?

magRT496

Established Member
S8ER95Z said:
If he is already beating you out in ET you won't get him from a dig. (what kind of 60ft you seeing??)... without knowing trap speeds I can't comment on the roll on race... you never know if he picked up a lot of top end mph or just mid-low range power...
I dont know what he traps at but i trap at 103ish. My 60's on bald 245 street tires were a 2.1, but i have 275 nitto drags now so i believe ill be able to inch him out of the hole. well see though.

magRT496

Established Member
well, i just talked to him again. he says hes pretty confident hes going to beat me. he wasnt being an ass just being honest. He said he beat an ls1 with headers and ory....which usually run about 12.80ish but it was a 6spd so i assume the guy cant drive.

His cams make .550 lift, he said theyre kind of medium size. i also saw a accufab throttle body or maybe it was an upper intake. were going to the track tomorrow, anyone got any pointer how i can win? Im planning on heating the nittos till i see a little bit smoke and powerbraking till about 1600 and trying not to spin. any pointers would be great.

Trick Pony

Stang Addict
Established Member
When I had my 2V motor I ran 13.3@103 with just exhaust, upper plenum and TB, a little weight reduction, and 4.10s. So it is quite possible he ran 13.1.

SLOW_GT

Established Member
Trick Pony said:
When I had my 2V motor I ran 13.3@103 with just exhaust, upper plenum and TB, a little weight reduction, and 4.10s. So it is quite possible he ran 13.1.

what did you do to reduce weight and how much did you lose.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
QuikGT said:

They would have to be a ridiculously mild set of cams to only gain 15 rwhp, certainly less than 220 @ .050" on the intake.

VT Stage 1s gain 20-25 rwhp with stock heads
VT Stage 2s gain 25-30 rwhp with stock heads
Comp 270s gain 25-30 rwhp with stock heads

etc...the proof is only a mouse click away.

Users who are viewing this thread