z28 vs GT

Chris-SVT

Established Member
Well i was crusing down I-95 w/ cruise control on when i notice a red z28 ridding my butt. He stays behind me until traffic clears and switches to the other lane. were going about 70. I downshift and wait to see if he punches it and he does. So i get on it thinking hes going to blow by me and to my suprise he doesnt.....
I was a car ahead at like 115 so i let off and I look and hes still going, getting ready to blow by me so i get on it again and go up to 130 then shutdown. he stays back and takes the next exit.
I know nothing about camaro's. Should he have taken me?
This was my first race in the GT :D

Last edited:

Wayneo

Established Member
Must of been a bad driver or messed up racing. A 98-02 z28 has 310fwhp and a 94-97 has 285. He should of smoked you if you gt is stock.

Kenny H

Established Member
If it was a '98+ Camaro (LS1) he should have easily walked you. I ran a couple '99+ GTs when my Formula was stock. From a stop it was fairly close but as speeds increased I pulled away more convincingly.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by blacksrt
fwhp? I sure hope not. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I, too, vote LT1. You would know by the quad/recessed headlights and pointed front end. If it had aero headlights (and looked like a catfish, lol) it was an LS1, and, if you're stock, would have walked you with a good driver.

Good Kill, nonetheless :beer:

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
Man yall are hard on the GTs these days. My 03 auto vert has a decent amount of ass despite the weight and tranny. With the OD off and trac off it pulls pretty good past 130. My 89 runs mid 7s in 1/8 so I know what a strong car feels like. Give teh GeeTee some credit. Good Kill!:beer:

Camaroguy22

Slow LT1 Driver
Established Member
Judging by the race it was probably an LT1. How did you know it was a Z28 from looking in your rear view? I am not trying to say you raced a v6 at all, just a z28 has no distinquishing marks on the front vs a v6.

Last edited:

KevinB120

COOKIES!
Established Member
Usually a gt needs 3.73's and a few bolt ons to run with an LT1. LS1 is more of a competitor stock for stock with a mach anyway, not a GT(both in price and hp). Ford is way too conservative with the gear ratio. The next mustang is 300hp @6000 rpm so wont die out over 4700rpm with 3.55's stock thank god, i wont have to rip so much out the first week i buy it;-). Honestly if you know the guy was trying, most likely it was an auto. Good kill:beer:

Last edited:

4.6 Love

Established Member
Good kill.....I agree with it being an LT-1...if it was an LS-1 he would have made you cry!...I rembember I tried racing a 00 SS once when my car was stock from a roll......I got a major ass whopping!:)

Sephiroth

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinB120
Usually a gt needs 3.73's and a few bolt ons to run with an LT1. LS1 is more of a competitor stock for stock with a mach anyway, not a GT(both in price and hp). Ford is way too conservative with the gear ratio. The next mustang is 300hp @6000 rpm so wont die out over 4700rpm with 3.55's stock thank god, i wont have to rip so much out the first week i buy it;-). Honestly if you know the guy was trying, most likely it was an auto. Good kill:beer:

Um, no, a GT doesn't need anything stock vs stock to run with or beat a LT1........comes down to the drivers.
Anywho :p

Camaroguy22

Slow LT1 Driver
Established Member
Originally posted by Sephiroth
Um, no, a GT doesn't need anything stock vs stock to run with or beat a LT1........comes down to the drivers.
Anywho :p

That is correct, except when the Gt is a stock auto...the LT1 will have an edge over one of those. I ran what i think was an 04 GT back in September on my way to work (still had temp tags). I had a pretty crappy launch, took me till 65 or so to catch up and pass by, and i only ended up with a car length to 90 if that. I can't wait to see the 05 Stangs hitting the streets:rolling:

Camaroguy22

Slow LT1 Driver
Established Member
Oh yeah, let me add the only other new Gt encounter i have had....on my way back from work i was next to a manual vert GT with one of those light bars (non funtioning roll bar) and some sort of exhaust, no clue what else was done. We were at a red light, and i didn't pay no mind, i started out normal, and at about 20 he punched it and got 2-3 cars ahead by the time i floored it, and that gap stayed the same till 90...and the race ended.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
LT1 Camaro = Good race-- a 99+ GT has the upper hand though

LS1 Camaro = If your a good driver you'll hold with him until 3rd gear and then its over for you. 3rd gear in a F-body pull like a raped ape!

My best friend has an '02 SS and he does the most damage to me in his 3rd gear. I can hold with him well from a dig and at higher speeds he hardly pulls away from me. Its the in between that gets ya!! Good kill by the way!! :burnout:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Whoever said 310fwhp. I'm sure he means flywheel horsepower, let off him people. And actually, that's an underrated power rating. They usually dyno right around 300rwhp or sometimes even more(the factory freaks).

In my 87' with stock gears, offroad h-pipe, speed-density car I raced an LT-1 Z-28 and it was no contest, I pulled on him like he was sitting still. I know he wanted to race because he reved at me and punched it first. It was about a 25mph. This was with my stock 2.73 gears too.:)

Later in mods, 3.73's, Cold-air, offroad H-pipe, I came up against an LS-1 Z-28 driven by some teen who had just pulled out of his highschool parking lot. His friend was with him and I think he thought he was gonna get an easy kill. We punched it when I was in 2nd and I stayed dead even with him until about half-way through 3rd. The road we were on was starting to curve right really hard so we both let off. I was surprised to say the least.

Man, I loved my speed-density car. Oh well, the cam should make up for it now.:)

As for 99+GT's, you should have a good race with LT-1's, stock for stock your GT should win but you should invest in higher gears ASAP. An LS-1 should beat you easily. Even a modded GT shouldn't hang with an LS-1 all the way through the speedo. You have a 200lbs weight advantage so gears, exhaust, pulleys, cold air, and a good set of tires will put you ahead from a stop, but on the freeway your screwed until you port the heads or put a blower or NO2 on it.

Chris-SVT

Established Member
i got cai and a catback btw, not that it really makes that much of a difference. I might have more mods i dont know about seeing as i dont know much about my car. It already had the borla catback on it when i bought it. Anyway i could tell if i have mods i dont know about? Im not going to mod much so i dont lose my warranty because im going to be trading it in 6 months or so for a cobra.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread