z28 vs GT

Camaroguy22

Slow LT1 Driver
Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
Whoever said 310fwhp. I'm sure he means flywheel horsepower, let off him people. And actually, that's an underrated power rating. They usually dyno right around 300rwhp or sometimes even more(the factory freaks).

In my 87' with stock gears, offroad h-pipe, speed-density car I raced an LT-1 Z-28 and it was no contest, I pulled on him like he was sitting still. I know he wanted to race because he reved at me and punched it first. It was about a 25mph. This was with my stock 2.73 gears too.:)

Later in mods, 3.73's, Cold-air, offroad H-pipe, I came up against an LS-1 Z-28 driven by some teen who had just pulled out of his highschool parking lot. His friend was with him and I think he thought he was gonna get an easy kill. We punched it when I was in 2nd and I stayed dead even with him until about half-way through 3rd. The road we were on was starting to curve right really hard so we both let off. I was surprised to say the least.

Man, I loved my speed-density car. Oh well, the cam should make up for it now.:)

As for 99+GT's, you should have a good race with LT-1's, stock for stock your GT should win but you should invest in higher gears ASAP. An LS-1 should beat you easily. Even a modded GT shouldn't hang with an LS-1 all the way through the speedo. You have a 200lbs weight advantage so gears, exhaust, pulleys, cold air, and a good set of tires will put you ahead from a stop, but on the freeway your screwed until you port the heads or put a blower or NO2 on it.

Thats pretty impressive that an offroad H Pipe would bridge the 50-60 Hp difference between the 87 and an LT1. It would be hard enough to beat an LT1 with your nealy stock 87 as is, but no contest? Please. There are many variables in racing...the LT1 could have been ragged out, piss poorly driven, had a 400 lb animal in the trunk, who knows....but i can not think of any that would cause that bad of a defeat. What do you trap in the quater? To simply say you made it look like he was not moving would seem like you raced a 3.4 Liter.

chrisle7220

Established Member
Yeah i would think he would have beaten you. The other day i was out with my friend that has a GS-T eclipse with BOV and downpipe and we ran a 2000 mustang gt from a roll and we pulled on it. We raced him 3 times. The first 2 times we beat him by a good 2 cars, on the 3rd race, my friend misshifted, and lost by like a car. I was really dissappointed the GT didnt pull on him, thought they were faster then that.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Originally posted by Camaroguy22
Thats pretty impressive that an offroad H Pipe would bridge the 50-60 Hp difference between the 87 and an LT1. It would be hard enough to beat an LT1 with your nealy stock 87 as is, but no contest? Please. There are many variables in racing...the LT1 could have been ragged out, piss poorly driven, had a 400 lb animal in the trunk, who knows....but i can not think of any that would cause that bad of a defeat. What do you trap in the quater? To simply say you made it look like he was not moving would seem like you raced a 3.4 Liter.

Never gone out and ran my car actually. It definately wasn't a 3.4(I thought the V-6's were 3.8's) I could tell by the sound. Have you not ever raced a speed-density car? Believe it or not, an 87-88 will tear ass compared to a 90-93. Even the 89's with their mass air are faster. Don't ask me why.

But yes, it could've been a driver difference, the fact that the Z-28 had 2 people in it, on top of weighing 200+more lbs to begin with. But I walked his ass none the less. I didn't have a conversation with the guy afterwards.

And when it comes to dynoing, there is not a 50hp-60hp difference. A stock 5.0 will a lot of times dyno at just under the rated 225hp/300lbs of torque while the lt-1's usually dyno around 250 or less hp/and about 280lbs of torque. That said and the weight difference, and the chances that the kid might've sucked at driving, or had an auto, my kill isn't far fetched.

Now the LS-1 surprised none-the-less, it shouldn't have happened. I'm willing to bet he would've started to pull on me hard though had we kept going.

Camaroguy22

Slow LT1 Driver
Established Member
Originally posted by poopnut2
Never gone out and ran my car actually. It definately wasn't a 3.4(I thought the V-6's were 3.8's) I could tell by the sound. Have you not ever raced a speed-density car? Believe it or not, an 87-88 will tear ass compared to a 90-93. Even the 89's with their mass air are faster. Don't ask me why.

But yes, it could've been a driver difference, the fact that the Z-28 had 2 people in it, on top of weighing 200+more lbs to begin with. But I walked his ass none the less. I didn't have a conversation with the guy afterwards.

And when it comes to dynoing, there is not a 50hp-60hp difference. A stock 5.0 will a lot of times dyno at just under the rated 225hp/300lbs of torque while the lt-1's usually dyno around 250 or less hp/and about 280lbs of torque. That said and the weight difference, and the chances that the kid might've sucked at driving, or had an auto, my kill isn't far fetched.

Now the LS-1 surprised none-the-less, it shouldn't have happened. I'm willing to bet he would've started to pull on me hard though had we kept going.

To be honest i am not sure i have never ran a speed density 5.0. I have played with many 5.0's around my area but nothing more than reving, and jumping on the throttle a bit. The 93-95 4th Gen V6's were 3.4L rated at 160hp, in mid 95 GM changed over to the 3.8 rated at 200 hp. The 3.8 v6's are pretty potent capable of running mid-upper 14's. Anything can happen on the street.:beer: I wasnt calling bs on your kill, just was interested in more info;-) . I agree with you on the sound issue, you can normally hear the difference. I was unaware that 5.0s were very underated.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Not very, but supposedly you lose around 15% of your power in the drivetrain, and when a 5.0 is rated at 225 and dyno's at 210-220 stock, yeah, it's a little underrated. I love lt-1's, my g/f has a very sweet 95 T/A w/ G-2 performance package.

Users who are viewing this thread