Z4 3.0i VS Me 98 Cobra

MidNight Snake

Established Member
I know so what, but it inspired a few questions I was hoping u guys could help me out with. Ill start off with the fact that I just got the car a few weeks ago. Its all stock except for the catback I just put on, which isnt saposed to do much. Anyway Im on this road last night with ligths far enough apart where u can get upto about 100 before the next light. Im driving with by myself with a friend following me and this Z4 with this older gentleman starts getting on it next me and we both come upto a stop light next to eachother. Hes with his wife I guess and he looks over at me an is smiling I give him a nod and a smile(I like older guys like this) Well anyway we get four lights to play around at, with the same outcome each time. We both take off and he manages to put half a car on me in first each time, then I shift to 2nd and I lung forward a car or two and I just leave him behind. The guy wasnt shutting down or anything either. I dont know what these cars do and Im not trying to make it look like I think they are quick. So now to the point of this thread. Why does my car feel like it has no balls in first. It feels like a completly different car in 2nd and 3rd. I want to rule out the launching factor too, because it feels like this even where the car is its strongest, 5000-7000 RPM. Any opinions.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Alright its a quicker car then I thought. Motor trend say 14.1 at 97.93 and has 225 hp and 300 lbft of torque. So I guess Im happy with how easy I gained on him in 2nd and 3rd.

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Yes Yes I know, but it still feels like something is wrong. The car should be quicker in first, but its not even close. Its like the engine is trying to catch up with itself.

speedy98snake

Needs another Cobra
Established Member
gears is your answer. when u take off in first, it takes a little bit to get into the rpm's that make the power. when u shift into second or third, ur closer to ur power band.

96SVT_2_NV

Established Member
Originally posted by WishIHadaCobra
Alright its a quicker car then I thought. Motor trend say 14.1 at 97.93 and has 225 hp and 300 lbft of torque. So I guess Im happy with how easy I gained on him in 2nd and 3rd.

that 300 ftlbs of torque made me research :-D

they r rated at 225Hp/214TQ and weigh 3000 LBS, maybe they tested a Z4 M roadster, like the had the Z3 M roadster :shrug:

225/300 in a 3000 LB car would be pretty damn quick, oh and the site i found had them at 14.5@98, which is better then i thought theyd do

nice kill and if you decide on gears go 4.30's, u seem like a track guy and 4.10's altough fun on the street suck at the track

MidNight Snake

Established Member
Originally posted by 96SVT_2_NV

they r rated at 225Hp/214TQ and weigh 3000 LBS, maybe they tested a Z4 M roadster, like the had the Z3 M roadster :shrug:

225/300 in a 3000 LB car would be pretty damn quick, oh and the site i found had them at 14.5@98, which is better then i thought theyd do

nice kill and if you decide on gears go 4.30's, u seem like a track guy and 4.10's altough fun on the street suck at the track

Im gonan go with the 4.10s, theres a blower in my future.

Ur right about the Z4s torque, Im a little dislexic and a bad speller.

Heres where I got my info on them.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0305_boxz4/index3.html

Last edited:

wudekstyle

Established Member
Originally posted by 96SVT_2_NV

Correct, they are not very fast, just a little power like any roadster should have. No way they are @ 300 ft/lbs with a 3.0

Gino

So Long!
what would 4.10 gears do for engine speed in 5th @ 60 mph? would that be above 2000 rpm's or not? adversely effect gas mileage at all? I'm curious, lol

:??:

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
Originally posted by Gino
what would 4.10 gears do for engine speed in 5th @ 60 mph? would that be above 2000 rpm's or not? adversely effect gas mileage at all? I'm curious, lol

:??:

At 60 you are at about 2100 rpm. It makes a nice resonating sound.:beer:

Venom27

Established Member
they are fast little car my mom has the 3.0 SMG. it is rated for a 14.1 and i don't doubt that, it also has a lot of power topend.

Users who are viewing this thread