zero turn mowers...opinions plz

matt87

Established Member
ya i dont want to push around a mower, i did that for years at my old house but that lawn was small. i'm a typical lazy american who loves to be lazy, thats why i want a rider.

01GTB

Established Member
look at what the contractors use

exmark

i bought a 60" fabbed deck quest. its bad ass. traded in a deere 325 garden tractor.

Yeah, but residential models have really nothing in common with commercials in the same brand. The decks are different. Then hydraulics are different. And the engine choices are usually different. You would be better off researching reviews of residential ztrs than trying making a choice based on the brand commercial cutters are using.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
before you buy a used one with hydraulics, look into seeing how much they cost when something big fails. you see a lot of types like there just left in the field to rust away when that happens. Most of the times, the engine is perfectly fine although has tons of hours on it.

mustanginky

Established Member
1.25 acres here. Gravely zt50. Had it 2 years no problems so far. Have a bumpy lawn and it rides fine. Every cut i have my 2 year old with me. He loves it and helps drive. Takes about 45 mins to cut.

MIDTNSVT

Established Member
I owned a lawn care business for years doing it as a side job, and had great success with Hustler and Xmark. Now I know they are more on the commercial side, but I put both through a lot and they never disappointed . I would also say that I had more luck with the Kawasaki engines over the Kohlers.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
For a property that size I would check out older but well kept real John Deere riding mower. Easy to work on and cool to own. Probably could find one with a nice plow setup too, would work well in RI.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Hustler are nice and affordable ish.

A cub cadet at tractor supply
Ought to do you.

But commercial series 3400 hydros last much longer. Stamped decks suck where q fabricated deck is amazing.

Deck depth creates more vacuum causing a better cut

the best cutting deck is a scag no comparison.. Toro/exmark is a close second with the deck that has a angled front.
Hustlers new deck is amazing but never done a side by side comparison.

Seat wise hustler is the best....

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
My vote goes to ariens. Made right here in Wisconsin, high quality.

And to those who mow with kids on the back of their mower, please do not do this. When I was at children's hospital, we took care of 2-3 kids per summer who fell off the back of lawn tractors. It's a horrible, life changing injury that is 1000% avoidable.

01GTB

Established Member
And to those who mow with kids on the back of their mower, please do not do this. When I was at children's hospital, we took care of 2-3 kids per summer who fell off the back of lawn tractors. It's a horrible, life changing injury that is 1000% avoidable.

100% agree. I remember a story from 35 years ago or more of a child killed by a mower. I will never forget that story. The best place for kids when the mower is out is in the house. I see people letting their children ride in the foot well of a ztr and I just cringe. 10 things could go wrong and the parent would never have time to react.

Last edited:

matt87

Established Member
well decided on a 34" gravely zt series mower. paying about 2200.00 with a great backing from a local dealer. dont want the hassle if something breaks going through a big box store. thanks for all the suggestions!

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Let us know how it turns out, I have about 3/4 of an acre to mow and I've been wanting a zero turn. I currently have a old John Deere STX38 and it mows great and is in good shape. I'm just looking for something faster took me about 3hrs this morning. I've looked at the John Deere zero turns and I have a few friends with Hustlers with Kawasaki motors but not long enough to know if there good or not. I did see a John Deere the other day with a Kawasaki motor.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Let us know how it turns out, I have about 3/4 of an acre to mow and I've been wanting a zero turn. I currently have a old John Deere STX38 and it mows great and is in good shape. I'm just looking for something faster took me about 3hrs this morning. I've looked at the John Deere zero turns and I have a few friends with Hustlers with Kawasaki motors but not long enough to know if there good or not. I did see a John Deere the other day with a Kawasaki motor.

Kawasaki motor is the way to go. John Deere and Hustler are both very good machines too.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
well decided on a 34" gravely zt series mower. paying about 2200.00 with a great backing from a local dealer. dont want the hassle if something breaks going through a big box store. thanks for all the suggestions!

Solid choice.

Good idea buying from a dealer too.

97StangSVT

Established Member
I have a Cub Cadet with the Kawi v-twin. Only paid $1900 on a Craiglist deal with 200hrs on it. So far so good. No matter what brand you get, def get the kawi v-twin. I'm keeping mine forever lol, unless I can't get part for it down the road. I love how fast I can cut my grass now. I have about 3/4 of a acre total and about 30 trees to cut around.

+1 for the cub cadet with the kawasaki motor. I bought mine off of Craiglist a year ago. It had about 130 hours on it and I paid $1500 for it. No issues at all. Love it!

Last edited:

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member

Kawasaki motor is the way to go. John Deere and Hustler are both very good machines too.

+1 for the cub cadet with the kawasaki motor. I bought mine off of Craiglist a year ago. It had about 130 hours on it and I paid $1500 for it. No issues at all. Love it!

John Deere have a terrible deck on them l, yes it's fabricated but it's shallow as hell so it's not going to cut like a scag or hustler exmark/toro with a 5 inch+ deck

Also the hydro's make a huge diff... The 3400's is where it's at the 3100's is garage

Trying to help Yall out

Jd is overpriced shit and there is no diff in the ks,kx on the Kawasaki motors but minor airbox plastic vs metal and minor bs

Check out a scag v ride or a toro grandstand you'll never want to have a zero turn again

Users who are viewing this thread