Zex install pics

FunkyBoss

Established Member
I searched and couldn't find any good pics, I'm just curious where all you Zex guys mounted the nitrous control unit (or whatever they call it)? I was going to install it this weekend but the snow threw my schedule off. However, I did look around the car for placement and couldn't find anyplace as the box is so f'n big. I'll probably fabricate some kind of bracket, just looking for ideas. Thanks!

sighwest

Established Member
I also have one but haven't installed it yet. I've also looked for a decent mounting place, and am at a loss. Waiting with ya to get some ideas.

FunkyBoss

Established Member
I've started working on it, I'll get some pics as I go along. So far I've ran the purge lines to spray out the 2 hood scoops and I'm working on a bracket to mount the box in the back of the engine bay on the passenger side just to the left of the FPR. It's a tight fit though, hopefully I'll get it in there.

FunkyBoss

Established Member
*UPDATE* Here are some pics of my ghetto rig :coolman:

NCU Bracket
Bracket1.jpg

Purge lines
purgelines.jpg

Last edited:

sighwest

Established Member
Looks good so far, dude. So keep us updated! I think these are the first Zex install pics I've seen!:cuss:

sighwest

Established Member
Any more updates or pics? I'm starting an identical project on Saturday. How hard to tie in to the throttle position sensor? Are you using a nitrous filter?

FunkyBoss

Established Member
The install is done, I just haven't had time to take pics of the finished product. Overall it was easy, just time consuming. The wiring was a peice of cake, I used the blue wire taps you can get from Lowes and all the connections are solid, the MSD digital window switch is working like a champ! For the tps, tap into the middle wire. No, I'm not using a nitrous filter. Here are some pics I snapped while installing.

This was before I installed the heater:
nitrous_install_1.jpg

I wasn't happy with the purge lines like this, so I changed it to a single line:
nitrous_install_3.jpg

nitrous_install_2.jpg

Yes, I know my garage is messy:
nitrous_install_4.jpg

sighwest

Established Member
What did you have to tie in with the window switch? I have the Zex unit, and instructions are vague.
FunkyBoss said:
The install is done, I just haven't had time to take pics of the finished product. Overall it was easy, just time consuming. The wiring was a peice of cake, I used the blue wire taps you can get from Lowes and all the connections are solid, the MSD digital window switch is working like a champ! For the tps, tap into the middle wire. No, I'm not using a nitrous filter. Here are some pics I snapped while installing.

This was before I installed the heater:
nitrous_install_1.jpg

I wasn't happy with the purge lines like this, so I changed it to a single line:
nitrous_install_3.jpg

nitrous_install_2.jpg

Yes, I know my garage is messy:
nitrous_install_4.jpg

FunkyBoss

Established Member
The window switch taps into one of the outside wires on either one of your coils for the RPM signal (no tach adapter needed). You then hook the ground on the Zex box up to the window switch, so when you reach your set RPM the window switch provides ground therefore turning on the nitrous unit. Yeah, the Zex instructions aren't the best, but I guess they can't be really specific to every vehicle on the road. Let me know if you have any more questions, I've done tons of research and now have some hands-on experience.

sighwest

Established Member
^^ Thanks man, there just doesn't seem to be much info on installing Zex on the Cobras. I appreciate the offer of help, I'll probably need it. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread