Zex NOS questions

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
Was looking at the Zex NOS system and was wondering if anyone here is running it. Was looking at kit #82047. Is this the right kit?

Couple things on my mind about it:
How difficult was the install?
Do I need to worry about having my tune adjusted at all?
Where did you put the bottle?
If you had to do it over again, would you pick the same kit?
Anything you don't like about the kit?
Any other info?

simshahh

Party2Go
Established Member
as far as the "any other info":
if u do decide to run nitrous make sure ur truck is running richer than sh!t before you start to burn because nos makes ur motor run lean like no other and thats the main reason for engine blowups is because of starvation. i would HIGHLY recommend getting 255's, and probably 50#ers just to be safe. give it enough fuel and you can run nitrous happily for a long long long time. and yes, get it tuned properly. one tune without nos, one with it.

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
lol, omg you guys are driving me nuts calling it NOS! alittle background for you guys....NOS is a nitrous company, N2o is nitrous. it is not flamable, but combustable. now to your question. i've got the zex wet kit, and depending on your shot, you don't need a different fuel pump, the stock one is just fine. i haven't tested it out completely yet, b/c i lack the correct tune, which i hope rwtd can do in feb. i'll be running 75 shot, with an extra 4lbs of boost. hopefully with some slicks i'll be able to make an 11 sec pass. if not i'll throw a smaller pulley on top to give me that last few hp needed.

chiz

Last edited:

FordFanStan

Established Member
CHIZ said:
lol, omg you guys are driving me nuts calling it NOS! alittle background for you guys....NOS is a nitrous company, No2 is nitrous. it is not flamable, but combustable.
chiz

N2o :poke: .. Stan

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
NOS is a brand, nitrous is the gas. For future refrence... Just so you dont sound like a fast and the furious ricer.

ra1nmakr

Resident Fuel Slut
Established Member
i have a kit (NX) in my garage that i am about to install. all i am going to run is an 80 shot to cut my 60' times down. should be fine with a good tune, and my traction bars installed.

Jesse@MBRP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
ra1nmakr said:
i have a kit (NX) in my garage that i am about to install. all i am going to run is an 80 shot to cut my 60' times down. should be fine with a good tune, and my traction bars installed.

How much boost and who's tune?

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
PimpRohr said:
#82021 55-75rwhp wet kit (the kit i'd like to see you use)
#82026 75-125rwhp wet kit

I take it those are Zex part numbers? Thanks, I'll look into the #82021.

PimpRohr said:
How much boost and who's tune?

Right now, I'm pushing about 15 lbs of boost on an Amazon Racing tune.

Freedom

Established Member
simshahh said:
as far as the "any other info":
if u do decide to run nitrous make sure ur truck is running richer than sh!t before you start to burn because nos makes ur motor run lean like no other and thats the main reason for engine blowups is because of starvation. i would HIGHLY recommend getting 255's, and probably 50#ers just to be safe. give it enough fuel and you can run nitrous happily for a long long long time. and yes, get it tuned properly. one tune without nos, one with it.

Your tune shouldnt be any richer than a normal tune if you are running a wet kit, the extra fuel is provided by the kit through the fuel solenoid.

I personally am running a 50-75 shot dry on mine right now.....since I only use it at the track and I have upgraded pumps and injectors I still think that a dry kit is safer than a wet kit. The odds of my fuel pumps dying is far less than the odds of a fuel solenoid crapping the bed.

Last edited:

CYA-LS1

F'n sexy
Established Member
I have a NX 75 shot on my truck. I have a built block with stock fuel system. I have added a Kenne Bell Boost a pump. I have a superchip flip chip. The nitrous tune needs the timing changed from the stock timing. A good tuner should no how much timing that needs to be adjusted. the NX kit is a good kit. My buddy has a built 03 GT with a ZEX kit and it sucks. But jonny lightning has a zex kit and his truck is a bad mo fo. I would use a NX or a NOS kit b4 a ZEX. But you know its whatever

FordFanStan

Established Member
CYALS1 do you have a bottel heater? what pressure was your bottle at on when you ran those numbers with the 75 shot kit? It looks a little low to me. I dont have a kit yet but on all the others I see close to 10-20hp over the stated hp gain jet size w/ the proper heating and pressure... Stan

Jesse@MBRP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
There is nothing wrong with any of those kits in particular. I was given a free NOS and a ZEX kit and I chose the NOS to run on mine and to give away the other. The only reason I didn't use the ZEX is because I wanted to be able to play with the noids alittle as far as mounting goes. I now have pieces from all THREE of the companies on my truck. I have a ZEX controller, with NX purge (and soon to be cylanoids as well) and NOS everythings else. Use the KISS method when choosing a nitrous system and you should be fine.

Jesse

svtcobras

www.htsracing.com
Established Member
Re

I have a ZEX wet kit. Never any trouble. Kind of cool that it senses bottle pressure and adjust fuel accordingly. Works even better with water inj. On my NA engine, I run 15 deg adv timing with a 125 shot.
IMO, you can only get an objective opinion from somebody that has run multiple brands.

CYA-LS1

F'n sexy
Established Member
FordFanStan said:
CYALS1 do you have a bottel heater? what pressure was your bottle at on when you ran those numbers with the 75 shot kit? It looks a little low to me. I dont have a kit yet but on all the others I see close to 10-20hp over the stated hp gain jet size w/ the proper heating and pressure... Stan

I do not have a bottel heater. I'm one of the dumbass people with a torch in one had and a cigarette in the other heating up my bottle. I was not sure what the pressure was at when i ran it on the dyno. I have it about 11.5 to 12 when i run it. When i got it tuned, the dip shits at mc racing only sprayed it from 3500 to 4000 rpm which was about 1.5 sec. My truck is a dope head (it loves the spray). After i get my new pulley's on i am going to have another place dyno and tune it for me. I agree with the 10-20hp over the stated. All my buddys have nitrous and the put out more power than what the shot is. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread