ZR1 reportedly ran 7:12 around the 'Ring

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I think the gt3rs has the potential for a sub 6:50 ring time, but it would take a lot of experience and seat time in the car to get it out of it.

I watched the lap twice and kept thinking that the driver must hate how the car fights his inputs or over takes them.

Driver seemed like he was in control just fine but that the car isn’t as sorted or as optimized for the Nurburgring in particular as it could be. Lots of small correction that he kept having to implement to rear the car back in line throughout the lap.

It’s not a law but usually the quickest lap times I see are 90-95% laser focused with very little correction. I think the steering system on the gt3 Rs might be missing that last 1% of perfection. It’s probably just the physics of pitch and catch. Rear engine is very tricky. I imagine it was incredibly fun to keep that car on track and wrestle that much speed out of it. Excellent driver. Given enough seat time, I think he could tame the quirks and set a sub 6:50. At those kind of speeds with massive downforce, it’s very hard to get perfectly crisp steering response. Cars get very jerky do to the downforce keeping it from actually sliding out.

I need to find video of the 720s, I’m sure it’s smoother if for nothing more, because of engine placement. The fact a rear engine car street car with 500hp ran sub 7 is a testimony to Porsche. It wasn’t long ago that 450hp street car Porsche’s were barely cracking 8 minutes laps.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I think the gt3rs has the potential for a sub 6:50 ring time, but it would take a lot of experience and seat time in the car to get it out of it.
What are you talking about? read the post above yours, the course was just repaved. Not only that but porsche lives on the nurburgring, it is their home track. They also manage the scheduling of cars. I know this because the Viper guys had to deal with them during their 7:01 attempt, they were nice but they will put porsche cars first.
Also, LOL at getting 6 more seconds from the 6:56 time to run 6:50. Do you really think Porsche would publish a slower time knowing they could be 6 seconds faster? They published the fastest time their driver (a factory driver) could achieve. I bet they had multiple drivers too.

bullitt2735

Established Member
Lots of the magic in the .2 3RS time is the Pilot Cup Sport 2R a

Is that the N2 designation tire I keep hearing whispers (for lack of a better term about) it's been really hard finding any info about it,other than some people saying its a lot faster and a few others saying its the same compound as before they just gave it a new name as its a slightly different size.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Kevin Estre is a factory driver in the 911 RSR. Doesn't need anymore seat time.

From what I understand the Cup 2 R is a different and higher grip level compound to the regular current Cup 2 (N2) compound. It's hard to keep track but my understanding is that the 2 RS was on the N2 for the 6:47 lap and the 2 R on the .2 3RS is a much grippier tire that will be available to be optionally fitted to either car.

MPSC2 is a great tire to begin with. Maybe not maximum grip compared to a Trofeo R, but they last forever for a tire this sticky.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
What are you talking about? read the post above yours, the course was just repaved. Not only that but porsche lives on the nurburgring, it is their home track. They also manage the scheduling of cars. I know this because the Viper guys had to deal with them during their 7:01 attempt, they were nice but they will put porsche cars first.
Also, LOL at getting 6 more seconds from the 6:56 time to run 6:50. Do you really think Porsche would publish a slower time knowing they could be 6 seconds faster? They published the fastest time their driver (a factory driver) could achieve. I bet they had multiple drivers too.

You should read my post more closely, I saw what I saw, and said my opinion. I never once said ill of the driver.

I didn’t say he needs more seat time in general. I said I’m sure he has the skills to do even better with the car given even more seat time with the car to really get telepathic with it. Give him 1-2 months of lapping every few days and he could lop 5-6 seconds off that time in my opinion.

My proof? Watch the vid and count how many corrective inputs he has to put in.

He’s a better driver than the car. It shows. He catches it flawlessly when it doesn’t do what it’s should be able to do. Sign of a great driver. He also isn’t wreckless or over driving his limits.

I also capped off by explaining that the twitchiness is probably a mix of the rear engine and downforce.

Honestly I don’t know why I bothered to clarify anything here, my original post stood fine on its own if it was simply read.

You should read what is posted instead of inventing things.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
You should read my post more closely, I saw what I saw, and said my opinion. I never once said ill of the driver.

I didn’t say he needs more seat time in general. I said I’m sure he has the skills to do even better with the car given even more seat time with the car to really get telepathic with it. Give him 1-2 months of lapping every few days and he could lop 5-6 seconds off that time in my opinion.

He’s a better driver than the car. It shows. He catches it flawlessly when it doesn’t do what it’s should be able to do. Sign of a great driver. He also isn’t wreckless or over driving his limits.

I also capped off by explaining that the twitchiness is probably a mix of the rear engine and downforce.

Honestly I don’t know why I bothered to clarify anything here, my original post stood fine on its own if it was simply read.

I don’t need proof, I stopped reading your drivel two lines in. probably never driven on a track his whole life. Lol, all the sudden you’re a track rat? Is your cobra even built for the road course? Nope

Porsche should hire you because you have so much to say, some arm chair guy thinking he knows what’s up. Lol

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member

Well thats just a porsche characteristic

You're dreaming. Twitchyness is not time lost. Aero doesn't make a car twitchy and no way in hell is that car going to lose 6 seconds

D'ZR1 Messiah

Established Member
That time was taken by spectators on the sidelines. You are unable to get a look at every vantage point on the ring. Could have slowed down at one point on the course, could have done a multitude of things to get that time. I'm sure the official time will be sub 7s.

blk02edge

Established Member
His time was dead on for the now released 991.2 GT3RS.
Not the point. Zr1 messiah is right, spectator with a chrono means nothing. Needs to be a certified hot lap where the driver can verify no mistakes were made.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Not the point. Zr1 messiah is right, spectator with a chrono means nothing. Needs to be a certified hot lap where the driver can verify no mistakes were made.
Or verify a non oem vehicle made the very best ring time through video confirmation.

The point is, multiple laps in great conditions and the zr1 ran 7.12. No doubt we will see a different car, and better time when gm markets this vehicle.

SirShaun

Established Member
That Porsche 911 GT3 RS, video is insane, holy shit. Wonder if he seat belts his balls into the passenger seat, before he takes off? He was way too comfortable whipping the wheel back to top dead center mid turn, at well over a buck.

Rear engine cars are weird in the sense, you let off the gas, you lose turn in and traction, so I guess you do find yourself in awkward situations whipping that bitch around.

Is Ford giving up on a sub 7 car? Just riding the rest of the petrol age out with Focuses and Mustangs?

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
Very good point.

I still need to get a decent sound clip of my car. I swear it doesn't sound like a tractor haha

That shit don't work.
In real life my Viper sounds like a nasty cammed big block on idle.
On video it seriously sounds like a tractor. Unbelieveble! It's not even funny trying to record it...

On topic: Slower than the ACR. By a bunch. By a little would be OK because the ACR is an absolute aero beast. But by 11 seconds...

scn

Established Member
Don’t bother trying to speak rationally about a GM product with OnDelusional. If a spectator with a stopwatch timed the 350R or FGT to a slower time, he’d in order:
1)Say the guy is a moron
2)Then state the man is actually blind.
3)The watch wasn’t operated correctly.
4)The watch maker is crap because a GM executive knows the maker.
5)Then question if a watch was present at all.

Users who are viewing this thread