ZR1 reportedly ran 7:12 around the 'Ring

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think the ACR gets a pass because it sounds like a tractor, leopard 2 tank...the Germans are very accustomed to those sounds.

Very good point.

I still need to get a decent sound clip of my car. I swear it doesn't sound like a tractor haha

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I prefer the term dingleberry.
He might be more of a herpe, seeing as "he persist". Thread keeps getting better, I hurt them feels I guess.

Very good point.

I still need to get a decent sound clip of my car. I swear it doesn't sound like a tractor haha
Video needed. Not saying you're lying, just not being honest, lol.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I'll try Friday at the track.
Hope it sounds as good as it looks. The recent pic is killer.
midwest_main.jpg

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
It’s doesnt matter what someone clicked the zr1 doing. They have a factory backed effort, be prepared for something under 7 minutes. More grip, more power, more downforce. GM will have a big announcement too.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
He might be more of a herpe, seeing as "he persist". Thread keeps getting better, I hurt them feels I guess.

Video needed. Not saying you're lying, just not being honest, lol.
Is it who I think it is? You should know who I mean just by that statement.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Voltwings

Established Member
I've been saying it forever and i'll say it again, once you get over ... 500 hp or so you really start seeing diminishing returns in terms of a track car. 750 is honestly just stupid to try to be productive with, but GM has to sell to all the dumbasses who dont know any better and are more concerned with bench racing than actually being fast. I'm not surprised, nor will i be surprised when the new GT500 struggles, especially when everyone was commenting how stupid it looked with the wing ... how the hell else do you expect it to have a snowball's chance in hell of even trying to get around a corner with 700+ horsepower, factory tires, and no aero?

I'd almost bet money you could take the same aero and tires, put it on the C7 grand sport and be faster, or at least within shouting distance of the Zr1. There's only a handful of places on the ring you could really open up a ton of horsepower anyways.

yenko boy

Established Member
It’s doesnt matter what someone clicked the zr1 doing. They have a factory backed effort, be prepared for something under 7 minutes. More grip, more power, more downforce. GM will have a big announcement too.

+1 You guys should read the article, some bystander timed the car this is not official.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
+1 You guys should read the article, some bystander timed the car this is not official.

A bystander timing a lap wouldn't vary more than a second or so, compared to an actual lap time.

If GM comes out and announces a sub 7 minute lap, even with video evidence, it will never be seen as accurate.

yenko boy

Established Member
A bystander timing a lap wouldn't vary more than a second or so, compared to an actual lap time.

If GM comes out and announces a sub 7 minute lap, even with video evidence, it will never be seen as accurate.

Really? So what makes you think that lap was a record attempt?

blk02edge

Established Member
I've been saying it forever and i'll say it again, once you get over ... 500 hp or so you really start seeing diminishing returns in terms of a track car. 750 is honestly just stupid to try to be productive with, but GM has to sell to all the dumbasses who dont know any better and are more concerned with bench racing than actually being fast. I'm not surprised, nor will i be surprised when the new GT500 struggles, especially when everyone was commenting how stupid it looked with the wing ... how the hell else do you expect it to have a snowball's chance in hell of even trying to get around a corner with 700+ horsepower, factory tires, and no aero?

I'd almost bet money you could take the same aero and tires, put it on the C7 grand sport and be faster, or at least within shouting distance of the Zr1. There's only a handful of places on the ring you could really open up a ton of horsepower anyways.
Thank god someone else here understands this lol. Really annoying hearing about 'ring times' non stop too like its a good benchmark on one of the worlds most condition varying tracks.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Really? So what makes you think that lap was a record attempt?

You're right. They were out joyriding.

With the amount of money it costs to ship an entire team, cars, and rent out the Ring for lapping...an American manufacturer wouldn't do it unless they were shooting for a fast lap.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Thank god someone else here understands this lol. Really annoying hearing about 'ring times' non stop too like its a good benchmark on one of the worlds most condition varying tracks.

I agree the Ring isn't a very good yard stick/benchmark for performance, it has shitty visibility, sight-lines, it's narrow and usually has varying weather at any given time on different parts of the track. F1 left Nurburgring ring in the 70s for a reason. There are many, many more tracks that are better suited to measuring performance of a car. The Ring has it's reputation because it requires more of the man than it does the machine.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree the Ring isn't a very good yard stick/benchmark for performance, it has shitty visibility, sight-lines, it's narrow and usually has varying weather at any given time on different parts of the track. F1 left Nurburgring ring in the 70s for a reason. There are many, many more tracks that are better suited to measuring performance of a car. The Ring has it's reputation because it requires more of the man than it does the machine.

And it tests all aspects of the cars. There really isn't a turn on any circuit or track that there isn't a very comparable one on the Ring.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
And it tests all aspects of the cars. There really isn't a turn on any circuit or track that there isn't a very comparable one on the Ring.

I’d bet money the ZR1 could turn sub 7 minute, maybe even 6:5x times if they stole the lunatics that drove the 911 GT3 from Porsche. Though I’m guessing they are under contract with Porsche, probably involved in motorsports and no doubt spent years cutting their teeth at the ring.

The car is certainly important, you aren’t going to run those times without serious development towards that goal.

Users who are viewing this thread