clutch protection strategy

Scotty_5.0

Established Member
I had Lund explain it to me and Shaun had mentioned it as well but I hadn't seen anything on here about it so I was wondering if I was the only one that might be experiencing problems with this.

Scotty_5.0

Established Member
Right now anytime I accelerate in 3rd, 4th,and 5th gear whether i'm going WOT or just gradually accelerating my car "bogs" down around 4k rpm until now 4400 rpm. It was doing it with advance track on, advance track off, different tune with the clutch protection disabled, and even stock intake and stock tune back on it. My car ran completely fine for about a month and a half on my setup and about two weeks ago this started up and i haven't done anything to the car since the original install. My car has a little over 3k miles on it so I hope it's nothing too serious. I've been told it could possibly be my MAF, coil, clutch, and a tune. Shaun from AED has been helping me as well as Lund but it's currently raining/sleeting so i'm not able to do any more logs.

Shaun@AED

Clutch protection is engaged based on clutch pedal switches. Used mainly when lauching and powershifting. The ECU reduces power when it sees full throttle and the Clutch engaging (Ford calls it Abuse. LOL)
Your car is having the problem in the middle of the gear. As far as I know there is no input shaft sensor, so the computer doesn't know if the clutch is slipping or not. I could be wrong however.... The Copperheads are insanely sophisticated.

I saw the same thing on my 2012 last time on the dyno. She lost 50ftlbs of TQ, but I easily solved it via programming.
To be SURE yours is the same I need logs with TQ source.

SicShelby09

Banned
Clutch protection is engaged based on clutch pedal switches. Used mainly when lauching and powershifting. The ECU reduces power when it sees full throttle and the Clutch engaging (Ford calls it Abuse. LOL)
Your car is having the problem in the middle of the gear. As far as I know there is no input shaft sensor, so the computer doesn't know if the clutch is slipping or not. I could be wrong however.... The Copperheads are insanely sophisticated.

I saw the same thing on my 2012 last time on the dyno. She lost 50ftlbs of TQ, but I easily solved it via programming.
To be SURE yours is the same I need logs with TQ source.

HEYYY!! Congrats on the vendor status!!

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

atistang

Established Member
is this why when i powershift its like the engine cuts completely out instead of hitting the rev limiter?

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
is this why when i powershift its like the engine cuts completely out instead of hitting the rev limiter?

I never noticed this. I powershifted the 2-3 last night and all I noticed was massive wheelspin. I pulled the shift at 6600. I wonder if the Pro-Cal messes with this as well? I would doubt that.

Mike

Shaun@AED

I never noticed this. I powershifted the 2-3 last night and all I noticed was massive wheelspin. I pulled the shift at 6600. I wonder if the Pro-Cal messes with this as well? I would doubt that.

Mike

Some strategy's are worse than others for clutch protection. Early 2011's have very little, 2012's have a lot.... I always wondered if this was in direct response to the Clutch issues...

Boss cals allow gear banging as well, but they have a different clutch/flywheel.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Sorry to bump an old thread but this is the only one on SVTP that talks about clutch protection.

Shaun, is the 'fix' or disabling of this feature something you're able to share with the community? In my previous car(2008 Ls3 vette) I was able to slip the clutch at will so as not to shock and break the driveline but the new 5.0 seems to close the throttle if I try and slip the clutch for longer than a second or two. Is this something I will be able to duplicate in my new car(13 5.0)? I tune my own cars(with guidance from trusted experts) and learning this new car is exciting, but also comes with a whole new set of obstacles to overcome.

Thanks in advance

Shaun@AED

Sorry to bump an old thread but this is the only one on SVTP that talks about clutch protection.

Shaun, is the 'fix' or disabling of this feature something you're able to share with the community? In my previous car(2008 Ls3 vette) I was able to slip the clutch at will so as not to shock and break the driveline but the new 5.0 seems to close the throttle if I try and slip the clutch for longer than a second or two. Is this something I will be able to duplicate in my new car(13 5.0)? I tune my own cars(with guidance from trusted experts) and learning this new car is exciting, but also comes with a whole new set of obstacles to overcome.

Thanks in advance

No I do not share this info. It is not in SCT. I had a buddy hex edit the parameters for me.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Do you offer the disabling of the clutch protection strategy if you're tuning the car?

Users who are viewing this thread