clutch protection strategy

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
your better off not turning that feature off from what i was told.

Aside from burning up the clutch due to driver error, what other reasons would there be?

I come from the vette community where I could slip my stock clutch all day and have it take the abuse rather than breaking axles and/or driveline parts. I tried to launch the car with a little clutch slippage and the computer said no no and shut me down.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Aside from burning up the clutch due to driver error, what other reasons would there be?

I come from the vette community where I could slip my stock clutch all day and have it take the abuse rather than breaking axles and/or driveline parts. I tried to launch the car with a little clutch slippage and the computer said no no and shut me down.

I can slip mine all day long and i have no issues, maybe the issue is the driver?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I can slip mine all day long and i have no issues, maybe the issue is the driver?

Definitely possible. I put over 250 dragstrip passes in the vette in 2 years, but the mustang is new to me. I bought it 2 weeks ago and made 5 passes at the dragstrip 2 days later.

Is yours tuned though? I felt like the stock computer was restricting me from aggressively launching the car.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Definitely possible. I put over 250 dragstrip passes in the vette in 2 years, but the mustang is new to me. I bought it 2 weeks ago and made 5 passes at the dragstrip 2 days later.

Is yours tuned though? I felt like the stock computer was restricting me from aggressively launching the car.

100% Stock, where are you slipping it at RPM wise? Do you have the FULL AdvanceTrac off? If not that could be your issue, just pressing the traction off button isnt really turning your TC off

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
100% Stock, where are you slipping it at RPM wise? Do you have the FULL AdvanceTrac off? If not that could be your issue, just pressing the traction off button isnt really turning your TC off

Hold brake and push T/C button for 5 seconds. Display reads "advance trac off."

RPM wise I tried a few different levels. 1800, 2500, 3000. Anything above 2500 required more slip so the tires didn't blow off and when I would slip the clutch, the car acted like the throttle was closed and then came back alive around 2nd gear. Researching this lead me to this thread that talk about the factory restrictions on clutch slippage.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Hold brake and push T/C button for 5 seconds. Display reads "advance trac off."

RPM wise I tried a few different levels. 1800, 2500, 3000. Anything above 2500 required more slip so the tires didn't blow off and when I would slip the clutch, the car acted like the throttle was closed and then came back alive around 2nd gear. Researching this lead me to this thread that talk about the factory restrictions on clutch slippage.

not sure its the CPS, i had CPS one time back in my 2011 and it was when i was shifting at 7500 modded and doing 110ish

Eric@HPTuners

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Clutch.JPG

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...rm-coming-along-very-well-6.html#post13890391

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Shaun is this still the case?

It should be. AED tunes are derived from Lund who, to my knowledge, is one of the only people with access to the clutch protection tables. The average user is not granted access to them for some reason.

HPTuners ftw!

dead man walkin

Established Member
In all fairness vettes LOVE to burn up clutches, this is the first I've heard of this.. feature. . Which is different from the torque management feature correct?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
No I do not share this info. It is not in SCT. I had a buddy hex edit the parameters for me.

In all fairness vettes LOVE to burn up clutches, this is the first I've heard of this.. feature. . Which is different from the torque management feature correct?

Yes, clutch protection is different than torque management. Just like Shaun said above, only certain people are given access to the parameters to remove clutch protection. (Lund and some others)

Thankfully HPTuners will be coming out soon and the monopoly SCT holds over the coyote community will be gone.

Good riddance :banana:

Shaun@AED

It should be. AED tunes are derived from Lund who, to my knowledge, is one of the only people with access to the clutch protection tables. The average user is not granted access to them for some reason.

HPTuners ftw!

Excuse me?!?
Absolutely NOT true.
Lund does not work with AED in any way shape or form.

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Excuse me?!?
Absolutely NOT true.
Lund does not work with AED in any way shape or form.

Oh ok. I must be mistaken then as I heard it was the other way around.

I thought only Lund had access to the hex coding of the strategies which is where the clutch protection resides.

You've stated you only have calibrator level access, same as me and any other peon, and have also stated the clutch protection portion is not accessible at this level. So if that's true, how can you remove it without Lund having his hands in the cookie jar since he's supposed to be the only person with access to the hex coding?

It's really a damn shame it's this complicated to have access to remove the stupid clutch protection nonsense in these cars. Because I don't have an AED or Lund tune, I'm forced to deal with it and will be going back to HPTuners since they will give everyone the same access and not restrict it to those select few.

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

I too have heard these rumors and I know where they started.

Yes, SCT calibrator level does not include clutch protection. I do not have access to it myself. I did not make the changes to the Clutch Protection tables, I did test the changes however. A buddy of mine with software of his own made the change and we did a lot of R&D on my 2012GT, including data logging acess to 17500 parameters, and many, many changes not in SCT at all (Hex modifications). His clutch protection table changes have been added to all AED M6 tunes. It's NOT my work. I work with many high quality tuners and we share much of what we test. If 2 minds are better than 1, imagine what a half dozen quality tuners can do together.

Although I don't have 'special' access, nor Hex editing skills, there are many out there that do have these things, they simply don't care to let the world know about it.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I too have heard these rumors and I know where they started.

Yes, SCT calibrator level does not include clutch protection. I do not have access to it myself. I did not make the changes to the Clutch Protection tables, I did test the changes however. A buddy of mine with software of his own made the change and we did a lot of R&D on my 2012GT, including data logging acess to 17500 parameters, and many, many changes not in SCT at all (Hex modifications). His clutch protection table changes have been added to all AED M6 tunes. It's NOT my work. I work with many high quality tuners and we share much of what we test. If 2 minds are better than 1, imagine what a half dozen quality tuners can do together.

Although I don't have 'special' access, nor Hex editing skills, there are many out there that do have these things, they simply don't care to let the world know about it.

I stand corrected. My apologies. It's just unfortunate for people like me with no skin in the game, who are only looking to improve their own personal car, has to deal with not having "full access" to things like clutch protection because I'm not "in the loop." This is not a problem with HPTuners as nobody gets preferential treatment.

If I didn't have my local trusted friend tuning my car with his own tweaks and intricacies, I would have an AED tune and I wouldn't have to deal with all the politics. Cest la vie I suppose :beer:

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
Oh ok. I must be mistaken then as I heard it was the other way around.
well, if you didnt know this for fact, as your statement made it seem it was fact, you could have worded it differently no? :shrug:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
well, if you didnt know this for fact, as your statement made it seem it was fact, you could have worded it differently no? :shrug:

I thought it was fact, hence me stating as such. Since Shaun corrected me, I acknowledged, and the discussion continues.

Shaun@AED

I apologize for blasting you. I understand your frustrations as it is the same as mine and most other software 'limited' tuners, which is why I request specific table access from SCT.
You think the Coyote is bad, just be glad you don't tune EcoBoost. (That's another intersting topic)

The 'behind the scenes' crap that goes on in this industry is discussing IMO.
I really should not have aired any dirty laundry on a public forum and I apologize for that as well.

Users who are viewing this thread