Well, no more boss 302 intake for me (for now)

D.T.R

Established Member
Well, i threw a couple of bolt ons to the car... and i really wanted to see how the car would run. Up until sunday, the car had O/R H, driveshaft, boss 302 intake manifold and drag radials. Well the car went 12.0 and 11.997 constantly, at anywhere from 115.0mph to 115.8mph. Since i don't want to change out the stock 3.15 gear due to my boost plans, i decided to step the tire size down from 28s to 26s. The car ran still the same, flat 12s or 11.99s.
Well i wasn't mad at the car, but i knew it had more in it. So yesterday i headed to the track for more test & tune, and brought my stock intake manifold to do a back to back test on it.
First pass, the car goes 12.1@115 with the boss intake manifold. I change it out, and without touching the tune at all, went [email protected].. both runs had pretty much the same 1.73 60ft. So the car picked up 3 tenths and almost 2mph by going back to the stock intake. Needless to say, this made my day. The car feels and runs stronger with the stock intake. The car is running better/faster than my black M6 2012 did, as that one also went 11.8 but on a waaaaaay colder day and with weight reduction. My auto is running full weight and on a 90+ degree day with a DA of 2600+. It is also cutting a 1.73 60ft on 100% stock suspension, every single time without any spin what so ever. I can't wait to go back when it's colder to see how much faster than my black car this car will be running.

Cliffs:

ran the car with the boss intake at the track and went 12.1
swapped intakes at the track, back to stock intake and went 11.8
Keeping this intake for all motor until i go turbo, then i will re-install the boss one.

Last edited:

boosted70

Established Member
So you're tune was set up for a boss manifold, after which you put on a stock manifold and ran those times?

So are you saying somebody like me should run a tune that is set for a boss manifold but leave my stock intake in place?

I asked that because I would assume if you were to change the tune back to a stock intake tune you would run slower....?

D.T.R

Established Member
So you're tune was set up for a boss manifold, after which you put on a stock manifold and ran those times?

So are you saying somebody like me should run a tune that is set for a boss manifold but leave my stock intake in place?

I asked that because I would assume if you were to change the tune back to a stock intake tune you would run slower....?

I am not the person that tunes the car, Tony G (from Shaun@AED's circle of tuners) does, but he was there at the track with me, as always, checking over everything and he wanted to run the car on the same tune that was in it for the boss manifold and the car picked up 3 tenths that way. Take my personal experience for what it is...

Last edited:

Ratchet

Established Member
So you guys were obviuosly keeping track of the tune and making sure it was safe switching from the boss to the stock manifold with no tune adjustments? Did you make any other passes for comparisons or just those 2 passes?

D.T.R

Established Member
So you guys were obviuosly keeping track of the tune and making sure it was safe switching from the boss to the stock manifold with no tune adjustments? Did you make any other passes for comparisons or just those 2 passes?

Yes, Tony dataloged every pass, and looked it over before I went back again. Everything looked perfect he said.
I would follow the advise of your tuner. Mine was at the track with me and wanted to test the car without swapping anything on the tune.. and the car went 3tenths and 2mph faster.

Last edited:

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
So it would be more fair to say that you gained .1 from the switch...not .3 considering your best time was an 11.9 with the boss and an 11.8 without

Last edited:

by9468840

Established Member
Whatever way the op is obviously faster with stock manifold. Why don't you guys just accept it? I'm one of those too who threw boss manny away after a week.

hopony

Established Member
You definitely had some good runs yesterday. Good seeing some other Jacksonville people while I was there.

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Whatever way the op is obviously faster with stock manifold. Why don't you guys just accept it? I'm one of those too who threw boss manny away after a week.

I aint throwing nothing away, especially my Boss intake manifold. Wake me up when SECONDS are dropped off the times, not .0000000000000001 bazillionth. Your stock intake is UGLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:kaboom: jus messin with yall.. LOL

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
So it would be more fair to say that you gained .1 from the switch...not .3 considering your best time was an 11.9 with the boss and an 11.8 without

Nope. The 11.97 on boss 302 intake was a different day, a little cooler (since it was a night T&T instead of right at noon when it was hot as balls) so that's apples to oranges.

I like test it back to back. The test was within 30 mins from each other.
Boss intake went 12.1@115 with a 1.73 60ft.
Stock intake 30 mins later went 11.8@117, 1.73 60ft.
It is what it is.
I'm not a fanboi for either manifold, i like both. For me, and from my personal experience the stocker one worked best...

D.T.R

Established Member
You definitely had some good runs yesterday. Good seeing some other Jacksonville people while I was there.

Oh so that nice white mustang there was yours eh lol
you MPH pretty good i see. Like you said, nice to see more jax ppl there.
I'm calling a day as far as tracking the car until colder weather and e85 tune for me.

Ratchet

Established Member
Nope. The 11.97 on boss 302 intake was a different day, a little cooler (since it was a night T&T instead of right at noon when it was hot as balls) so that's apples to oranges.

I like test it back to back. The test was within 30 mins from each other.
Boss intake went 12.1@115 with a 1.73 60ft.
Stock intake 30 mins later went 11.8@117, 1.73 60ft.
It is what it is.
I'm not a fanboi for either manifold, i like both. For me, and from my personal experience the stocker one worked best...
And you said no adjustments at all to the tune? So you were shifting the auto with the stock intake at the optimal points for the boss or you were shifting the boss at optimal shift points for the stock intake? :shrug: Cause they are about 1000 rpm apart in shift points...

Last edited:

4VFTW

Established Member
And you said no adjustments at all to the tune? So you were shifting the auto with the stock intake at the optimal points for the boss or you were shifting the boss at optimal shift points for the stock intake? :shrug: Cause they are about 1000 rpm apart in shift points...
^This... and wouldn't a proper Boss IM tune have diff cam timing then the stocker? Maybe your Boss tune was just a stock IM tune :shrug:

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Man, some people in here are really trying to dig deep into the science of things to understand why the Boss intake performed worse than the stock intake.

It's not tuning, it's gears. He only has 3.15 stock gearing with tires that are too tall (read, not 26"). Boss intake doesn't perform well unless the car revs fast, keeping the car high in the RPM band, and 3.15 gears take forever to wind out.

Last edited:

hopony

Established Member
Oh so that nice white mustang there was yours eh lol
you MPH pretty good i see. Like you said, nice to see more jax ppl there.
I'm calling a day as far as tracking the car until colder weather and e85 tune for me.

I plan on doing a clutch this month or next and then I will go back. I have had some much trouble with the factory on getting soft I was shocked when it let me in 3rd every time and didn't get soft once. Where do you get e85 in Jacksonville. When I looked I only saw one station on 17 in orange park.

burke985

Established Member
Man, some people in here are really trying to dig deep into the science of things to understand why the Boss intake performed worse than the stock intake.

It's not tuning, it's gears. He only has 3.15 stock gearing with tires that are too tall (read, not 26"). Boss intake doesn't perform well unless the car revs fast, keeping the car high in the RPM band, and 3.15 gears take forever to wind out.

This pretty much nails it.

Users who are viewing this thread