Well, no more boss 302 intake for me (for now)

Yagermeister

Established Member
I think they were around 7200, but i don't know for sure... like i said i wasn't paying attention to that but actually the shut off point and what not.

So IF your shifts were only at 7200rpm with the Boss intake (since you claim no tuning changes were done) that is why your Boss didn't work out for you. It is nearly a REQUIREMENT to spin the motor to 7500-7700rpm for the boss intake to work otherwise when you shift your recovery point is too low and out of the powerband.

I personally don't think the test is a valid test since the two intakes are purposely made for different powerbands and if you are not changing the shift points to accomodate then it's like using a Ferrari as a tow truck or vice versa...it'll never really be quite right

:beer:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Hahaha why are all these boss IM guys all butt hurt. For some reason half these guys in this thread don't seem to understand that with the op bolt ons an stock 3.15 gears with the tire combo he was running that the stock IM performed better than his boss intake. IMO the stock IM had a better tq an hp curve for his car which is why it performed better.

Yagermeister

Established Member
Some people don't test very scientifcally removing variables and performing the test taking into account what the parts were specifically made for. To say something does not work may mislead people unless the test was done properly. I choose not to take anything for granted and want good research done by people that took the time to do it right. I totally get doing before and after tests but please do them right. There are so many times somebody will say something didn't work but then later we find out they also changed suspension and added weight or something. Not a fair comparison. Here the OP was admirable in trying to test before and after AT A TRACK! Thank you for that! Finally somebody not bowing down to a dyno! The only issue I have is the tune needed to compensate for the different purpose each intake was made for. If the shift points had been changed to match each intake 7500-7700 for the Boss and 7000-7200 for the stock intake we would not be having this conversation.

D.T.R

Established Member
Hahaha why are all these boss IM guys all butt hurt. For some reason half these guys in this thread don't seem to understand that with the op bolt ons an stock 3.15 gears with the tire combo he was running that the stock IM performed better than his boss intake. IMO the stock IM had a better tq an hp curve for his car which is why it performed better.

That's what my tuner said.

Yagermeister

Established Member
That's what my tuner said.

I have to wonder why your tuner doesn't work at Ford. He could've told them not to bother going through all the engineering exercises and manufacturing of an intake that didn't work and saved us all the hassle of trying a Boss intake! All that wasted money on design, manufacturing, packaging, testing, calibrating!

Ford must've seen something to tell them this intake works...makes you wonder why people choose to ignore this.

Enjoy your stock intake...to each his own. I'm outta here ;)

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
Some people don't test very scientifcally removing variables and performing the test taking into account what the parts were specifically made for. To say something does not work may mislead people unless the test was done properly. I choose not to take anything for granted and want good research done by people that took the time to do it right. I totally get doing before and after tests but please do them right. There are so many times somebody will say something didn't work but then later we find out they also changed suspension and added weight or something. Not a fair comparison. Here the OP was admirable in trying to test before and after AT A TRACK! Thank you for that! Finally somebody not bowing down to a dyno! The only issue I have is the tune needed to compensate for the different purpose each intake was made for. If the shift points had been changed to match each intake 7500-7700 for the Boss and 7000-7200 for the stock intake we would not be having this conversation.
My tuner talks to Shawn just about in a daily basis, and i know he talked to Shawn in regards to my car and boss intake manifold... and he adjusted the tune several times (this is not the first track outting with this car, nor the boss 302) and the boss intake has never ran as good as the stock one did.
I will ask him what he had the shift points set at, and will give y'all the feed back.

D.T.R

Established Member
I have to wonder why your tuner doesn't work at Ford. He could've told them not to bother going through all the engineering exercises and manufacturing of an intake that didn't work and saved us all the hassle of trying a Boss intake! All that wasted money on design, manufacturing, packaging, testing, calibrating!

Ford must've seen something to tell them this intake works...makes you wonder why people choose to ignore this.

Enjoy your stock intake...to each his own. I'm outta here ;)

The boss 302, which is what the intake was intended for, also has different heads, cams and valve train... :bored:

boosted70

Established Member
In my experience the manifold is a huge improvement. My friends car with orx, tune, CAI would pull half a car on me. After the boss manifold and 7800 shifts he puts 2 cars on me consistently.

4VFTW

Established Member
4VFTW, I just noticed your screenname and may need to borrow that when I go to the DMV next and get a license plate :banana:
No problem Yager ...you will notice a small fee added to your bill for the right to use my intellectual property.:dancenana:

69camaro...

Established Member
Ive never read an argument so stupid. Congrats OP, its nice knowing making little changes like that help

BV600

Established Member
Different tuners...just my .02. Roll racing? If so when did you start?

On the Boss car we did 30-40-50 Rolls, Each start I would yank out half a car and keep pulling.

Stock mani Car was just an animal IMO. 30-40-50 Rolls almost dead even until I put it in fourth and I would barely pull. Tried from around a 20ish but the C5Z 1st gear is pretty brutal.

Clipboard

Established Member
so many people fail to understand the BOSS intake manifold requires a different setup and different style driving. :shrug:

the boss IM was made to keep the boss 302 inside a certain part of your power curve with specific gearing for whatever track your running. Your taking an intake manifold which has a specific purpose to run with specific parts and throwing into a different arena. Its just like if you lower your car you need relocation brackets and a PHB. its not hard to understand....:poke:

mhyjek

Established Member

Doesn't make sense since his tune was optimized for Boss IM which would put stock IM out of its lower powerband. So either his tune is off or his tuner has found a way to beat physics.

Users who are viewing this thread