Well, no more boss 302 intake for me (for now)

cuslo1

Established Member
Man, some people in here are really trying to dig deep into the science of things to understand why the Boss intake performed worse than the stock intake.

It's not tuning, it's gears. He only has 3.15 stock gearing with tires that are too tall (read, not 26"). Boss intake doesn't perform well unless the car revs fast, keeping the car high in the RPM band, and 3.15 gears take forever to wind out.
He said he went from a 28 to a 26 inch tire and the times stayed the same

Yagermeister

Established Member
^This... and wouldn't a proper Boss IM tune have diff cam timing then the stocker? Maybe your Boss tune was just a stock IM tune :shrug:

^^^What this guy says!!

Man, some people in here are really trying to dig deep into the science of things to understand why the Boss intake performed worse than the stock intake.

It's not tuning, it's gears. He only has 3.15 stock gearing with tires that are too tall (read, not 26"). Boss intake doesn't perform well unless the car revs fast, keeping the car high in the RPM band, and 3.15 gears take forever to wind out.

So is that why my car has run faster with 3.31's and a Boss intake and so has wbt's car with 3.31s and a Boss intake?

The key is matching the gears to what you are trying to do to the car. FOR ME I'd rather not take the extra time to shift into 4th and I'd like to cross the stripe at the correct rpm in 3rd hence why I chose to use 3.31s

:beer:

You can go fast with a stock intake as well just like CasperGTs car has but you have to gear it properly for what you are trying to do and match it to what the intake likes

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
Alright, i gave you my experience... take it however you want it.
I'm not going to get into a never ending argument, but i will tell you this... on stock 3.15s and while all motor, you won't see me run a boss 302. It didn't work for me. Make your own judgment...

D.T.R

Established Member
^^^What this guy says!!

So is that why my car has run faster with 3.31's and a Boss intake and so has wbt's car with 3.31s and a Boss intake?

The key is matching the gears to what you are trying to do to the car. FOR ME I'd rather not take the extra time to shift into 4th and I'd like to cross the stripe at the correct rpm in 3rd hence why I chose to use 3.31s

:beer:

You can go fast with a stock intake as well just like CasperGTs car has but you have to gear it properly for what you are trying to do and match it to what the intake likes

Neither of those cars are automatic, with a 3.15 gear.
You can't launch an automatic car at 5k+ rpms.. not on stock stall at least.

cuslo1

Established Member
I'm not going to get into a never ending argument, but i will tell you this... on stock 3.15s and while all motor, you won't see me run a boss 302. It didn't work for me. Make your own judgment...
I have basically the same setup you have and i am on the fence about removing my intake until I have a power adder. So what was the shift points for the boss mani and the stock mani yesterday for the passes

Yagermeister

Established Member
As many people have asked, I also wonder what your shift points were with the Boss and what were they with the stock intake.

If you ran the same tune with both intakes, your Boss shift points should have been at 7500-7700 and the stock intake doesn't work well in that rpm range. If your Boss shift points were not up there then that is why your Boss intake didn't work out for you.

2012csgt

Established Member

Not digging at all. Just trying to see how he got away with shifting a stock intake at 7500rpm. Thats all.

JOK3R

Established Member
Hey guys, what's better? Manual or Auto???? Boss Mani or stocker????

:pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop::pop:

D.T.R

Established Member
Did I miss something because I thought you said you have an auto with 3.15 gears?

Yes, i'm confused as to what the "full weight" part of my comment has to do with the 3.15 gear?
I have an auto, full weight, stock 3.15 gear also.

cuslo1

Established Member
Yes, i'm confused as to what the "full weight" part of my comment has to do with the 3.15 gear?
I have an auto, full weight, stock 3.15 gear also.
What was your shift points for each mani yesterday.I also went top the track yesterday and not happy with the boss

Yagermeister

Established Member
DTR both of those cars are automatics as you know. The 3.15 gear is not that much different than the 3.27 or 3.31 just a few mph difference across the stripe. I was more pointing my quote towards Unleashed Beast's statement that you have the wrong gears and that was his thinking of why your combo didn't work:

"It's not tuning, it's gears. He only has 3.15 stock gearing with tires that are too tall (read, not 26"). Boss intake doesn't perform well unless the car revs fast, keeping the car high in the RPM band, and 3.15 gears take forever to wind out."

Please let us all know what your shift points were before and after :)

4VFTW

Established Member
I dont think anyone is looking for an argument , but the two intakes require different tuning to maximize performance...without knowing your tunes parameters its very difficult to judge the results.

BV600

Established Member
I only read the first post by OP
but In my C5z I raced a stock manifold car with LTs, No cats, CAI, AED Tune 91oct and we were dead even I would only start slowly pulling well after 100.
Raced another 5.0 WITH Boss mani all same mods as the last one but with BBR 93 Tune and I would walk him hard.
-Both cars had 3.73s and Boss car was shifting around 7600-7700.

Yagermeister

Established Member
4VFTW, I just noticed your screenname and may need to borrow that when I go to the DMV next and get a license plate :banana:

D.T.R

Established Member
What was your shift points for each mani yesterday.I also went top the track yesterday and not happy with the boss

I am not sure what the shift points were, i tend to not look at my RPM gauge since I no longer shift the car myself, i was more concentrated on other things. I know it was at or above 7200 RPMs. I just drove the car, and let Tony do the tuning.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
but In my C5z I raced a stock manifold car with LTs, No cats, CAI, AED Tune 91oct and we were dead even I would only start slowly pulling well after 100.
Raced another 5.0 WITH Boss mani all same mods as the last one but with BBR 93 Tune and I would walk him hard.

Different tuners...just my .02. Roll racing? If so when did you start?

D.T.R

Established Member
DTR both of those cars are automatics as you know. The 3.15 gear is not that much different than the 3.27 or 3.31 just a few mph difference across the stripe. I was more pointing my quote towards Unleashed Beast's statement that you have the wrong gears and that was his thinking of why your combo didn't work:

"It's not tuning, it's gears. He only has 3.15 stock gearing with tires that are too tall (read, not 26"). Boss intake doesn't perform well unless the car revs fast, keeping the car high in the RPM band, and 3.15 gears take forever to wind out."

Please let us all know what your shift points were before and after :)
I think they were around 7200, but i don't know for sure... like i said i wasn't paying attention to that but actually the shut off point and what not.

So basically you're saying that the car with the stock manifold was a lot faster? interesting, but seems like a coincidence with what I experienced..

Users who are viewing this thread