Piston noise before warmed up..?

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
I've noticed that I get some piston slap at around 2500-3K rpm when the motor is about halfway to operating temp. I let it warm up for a good 5 minutes before heading out in the morning, and the needle is about halfway between cold and normal temp. I get a little bit of rattle until it gets up to full temp. Anyone else notice this?

Travis

stang1971

Established Member
mine purrs like a kitten no matter what temp... no engine tick on mine either.

Scottyk

Established Member
I've noticed that I get some piston slap at around 2500-3K rpm when the motor is about halfway to operating temp. I let it warm up for a good 5 minutes before heading out in the morning, and the needle is about halfway between cold and normal temp. I get a little bit of rattle until it gets up to full temp. Anyone else notice this?

Travis

Mine does the same thing when its cold, I try to let it warm up enough for it to go away before driving it or beating on it. Havent noticed any other problems beside the little noise. Seemed wierd to me because I always hear people talk about tight piston clearance causing issues in these motors but then their loose enough for piston slap when not up to temp :poke: not sure what to believe anymore

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Yea, I've got it. I wasn't sure what to make of it either, so I hadn't asked the dealer about it. I comes at about 2500 RPM and goes away (or drowns out) at about 3500 RPM. Almost sounds like a rattle. It is worse upon cold start-up and gradually gets quieter until it's gone completely in about 10-15 minutes.

I've got the mystery goo in mine to quiet the "ignitor tick," so I originally thought maybe it was related to that and would quiet after the next oil change. After seeing your post (and couple of others on different forums), I don't think that any longer.

However, maybe a different oil would have an effect? Dunno. But, oil temperature (and I guess viscosity) definitely have an effect.

Last edited:

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Well, I know that with an aluminum block, getting it up to temp makes a big difference, but you would think that after warming up for 5 minutes, it wouldn't make any noise. It does completely go away once the engine has been running for 10-15 minutes, but it's nerve wracking to say the least.

Between that, transmission whine, rear end noise, and the mystery vibration.. this is getting pretty annoying. At least the car is fun to drive.. ;)

Travis

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
i have a sound on the VCT that sounds like piston slap. its at a throttle position/accleration transition. its not at a set rpm, i can make it do it ant any rpm. its a vct changing/load changing thing.

Grant808

Established Member
Yea, I've got it. I wasn't sure what to make of it either, so I hadn't asked the dealer about it. I comes at about 2500 RPM and goes away (or drowns out) at about 3500 RPM. Almost sounds like a rattle. It is worse upon cold start-up and gradually gets quieter until it's gone completely in about 10-15 minutes.

I have it too...just like this, but gone in about 5 minutes, or when the needle is at almost 1/2 on the temp gauge.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
i have a sound on the VCT that sounds like piston slap. its at a throttle position/accleration transition. its not at a set rpm, i can make it do it ant any rpm. its a vct changing/load changing thing.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about there.. This is only when it's cold though, and is definitely piston noise. It sounds like a set of forged pistons before they're warmed up all the way.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
I have it too...just like this, but gone in about 5 minutes, or when the needle is at almost 1/2 on the temp gauge.

How many miles on yours? That's how mine started, but, it's gotten worse.. I'm at 2400 miles, and it probably started at 1500 or so. It seems to have leveled off, and isn't getting any worse than what it is now.. but, it still doesn't seem right that a brand new motor has piston slap this bad.. even when partially warmed up.

Travis

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member

The difference in time might have something to do with the ambient temperature. Hawaii/California vs. Michigan :beer:

P.S. The fix for this is going to be loud mufflers.

Last edited:

Grant808

Established Member
How many miles on yours? That's how mine started, but, it's gotten worse.. I'm at 2400 miles, and it probably started at 1500 or so. It seems to have leveled off, and isn't getting any worse than what it is now.. but, it still doesn't seem right that a brand new motor has piston slap this bad.. even when partially warmed up.

Travis

I'm only at 700 or so.

The difference in time might have something to do with the ambient temperature. Hawaii/California vs. Michigan :beer:

P.S. The fix for this is going to be loud mufflers.

Except that I'm in Cali now :beer:

So far I've noticed it most when it's 50s to mid 60's out. It's definitely piston slap.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Loud mufflers my ass.. lol.. If this continues, I'll beat Ford over the head until they fix it. :) Piston slap on a motor with cast pistons isn't normal..

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Loud mufflers my ass.. lol.. If this continues, I'll beat Ford over the head until they fix it. :) Piston slap on a motor with cast pistons isn't normal..

Yea, good luck. As you can see on this and the other forums, I've had an "ignitor tick" since new that they have "solved" by putting a mystery additive in the crankcase. I have no confidence that the tick won't be back when I change the oil.

Plus, I have what sounds like a 'lifter tick' at idle that they tried to call normal at first, but eventually they tried to solve by re-torquing the "cam caps." Still sounds as bad as ever.

My problems are solved by just swapping out the motor, but Ford won't do it. Ford Customer Service has been useless. I've had so many issues and drama with the engine noises, I'm surprised I haven't been accused on the forums of being Chicken Little (ala argetni).

I haven't even tried to address this "piston slap" issue (and had mostly kept quiet because of the Chicken Little concern). Good luck when getting that one fixed.

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

My engine is nice and quiet. Whats up with you guys letting your motors warm up for 5min before you take off? I have never waited more then a minute or two on any of my cars before taking off? As long as you have oil pressure your good to go!

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Yea, good luck. As you can see on this and the other forums, I've had an "ignitor tick" since new that they have "solved" by putting a mystery additive in the crankcase. I have no confidence that the tick won't be back when I change the oil.

Plus, I have what sounds like a 'lifter tick' at idle that they tried to call normal at first, but eventually they tried to solve by re-torquing the "cam caps." Still sounds as bad as ever.

My problems are solved by just swapping out the motor, but Ford won't do it. Ford Customer Service has been useless. I've had so many issues and drama with the engine noises, I'm surprised I haven't been accused on the forums of being Chicken Little (ala argetni).

I haven't even tried to address this "piston slap" issue (and had mostly kept quiet because of the Chicken Little concern). Good luck when getting that one fixed.

Yeah? I haven't had to deal with them yet.. But, I have a VERY good attorney at my disposal. :) If it's messed up, they don't have a choice but to fix it.. There are laws in place to take care of this stuff. You just have to push hard enough.

Travis

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Yeah? I haven't had to deal with them yet.. But, I have a VERY good attorney at my disposal. :) If it's messed up, they don't have a choice but to fix it.. There are laws in place to take care of this stuff. You just have to push hard enough.

Travis

I'm at the attorney stage now, bro. Unfortunately, it's a 6-8 month process with no guarantees. :bored:

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
Well, I know that with an aluminum block, getting it up to temp makes a big difference, but you would think that after warming up for 5 minutes, it wouldn't make any noise. It does completely go away once the engine has been running for 10-15 minutes, but it's nerve wracking to say the least.

Between that, transmission whine, rear end noise, and the mystery vibration.. this is getting pretty annoying. At least the car is fun to drive.. ;)

Travis

My car has none of these issues. I wonder why some do and some don't

Users who are viewing this thread