Piston noise before warmed up..?

jugsreturn

Established Member
Aluminum motor's have steel sleeve's in them!
My navigator had an aluminum block I had it for 5 years 80k miles never waited also no knock or noise.
:shrug:

Is it just the new GT500's that get the plasma-transferred-wire-arc spray on the bores? Thus making the iron liners unnecessary. I'm certain I've read this for the GT500's, but not 100% on the 5.0.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
It's a good idea to wait about 60 seconds on start up if you are going to drive normal.
If you are going to race you will want to be warmed up to the point that the oil is over 100 degrees.

If my engine had a cold piston knock as long as it was very slight I think I would be thankful but my car is one known for overly tight forged pistons.

If it doesn't get worse I'm not sure I would get that worried about it, but I have not heard a 2011 5.0 do this yet, so I really do not know.

EDIT: BTW No Navigators(5.4) ever came with Aluminum blocks, however 4.6 DOHC Aviators did.

Last edited:

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Aluminum motor's have steel sleeve's in them!
My navigator had an aluminum block I had it for 5 years 80k miles never waited also no knock or noise.
:shrug:

Actually, it's iron sleeves.. I'm not sure if this new block has the sprayed in cylinder liners or not. Regardless, it shouldn't make any noise..

Navigators don't have aluminum blocks.. ;)

Travis

Last edited:

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
It's a good idea to wait about 60 seconds on start up if you are going to drive normal.
If you are going to race you will want to be warmed up to the point that the oil is over 100 degrees.

If my engine had a cold piston knock as long as it was very slight I think I would be thankful but my car is one known for overly tight forged pistons.

If it doesn't get worse I'm not sure I would get that worried about it, but I have not heard a 2011 5.0 do this yet, so I really do not know.

EDIT: BTW No Navigators(5.4) ever came with Aluminum blocks, however 4.6 DOHC Aviators did.

It's not "horrible" noise.. but, what concerns me is that it wasn't there when I first purchased the car. So, something had to have changed in that timespan. If it doesn't hurt anything, then, I don't really have a problem with it. But, I don't want to end up with a busted motor, outside of warranty (down the road) because of it. You know?

I've taken it easy (under 2500rpm's) until it warms up, for now.. But, it takes a good 5 minutes to get to temp sitting in the driveway.

Travis

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Nearly all these new engines have lined skirts on the pistons, this keeps them quiet and from getting scuffed on start up.

It almost sounds like you may have some slight damage to one or some of the skirt liners. Which is odd considering these engines have piston oiler jets, I wish mine did.:nonono:

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

My bad I don't know what I was thinking your right!
Considering all the oil changes I did looking up at that hunk of iron you would think I know that!
I must be getting old and mixed up easliy. I did just change the oil in my new 5.0! Give me a little slack guys!! Thats aluminum right!! lol :banana:

FWP!

Established Member
Mine makes some kind of similar noise, but it doesn't matter what temp the engine is at.

At (my best guess) 1/3 throttle, if the radio is turned off and I listen very carefully, I hear what sounds like very light pinging/detonation. Sounds like a really light constant rattle. But it's at a very specific point in the throttle, ANY more or less throttle and the noise goes away. But basically it's an amount of throttle I'd give it if I were accelerating normally, which is how I discovered it originally. It's definitely a strange noise because it does sound like really mild detonation, but there's been no problems with the car at all.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Well, the VTC stuff is going to make a little bit of noise, which is probably what you're hearing. If you had piston slap.. you'd know about it. It's pronounced, and happens within a certain RPM range.

Travis

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Nearly all these new engines have lined skirts on the pistons, this keeps them quiet and from getting scuffed on start up.

It almost sounds like you may have some slight damage to one or some of the skirt liners. Which is odd considering these engines have piston oiler jets, I wish mine did.:nonono:

That's kinda what I'm thinking.. The moly coating on the skirt has worn off a little, for whatever reason.

5.0jake

Established Member
I've noticed that I get some piston slap at around 2500-3K rpm when the motor is about halfway to operating temp. I let it warm up for a good 5 minutes before heading out in the morning, and the needle is about halfway between cold and normal temp. I get a little bit of rattle until it gets up to full temp. Anyone else notice this?

Travis

I have this sound right around 3k rpm's until I warm it up. Until then I keep it under 3k rpms.
I also took it to the dealer and they were aware of the sound but are clueless to what it is.:uh oh:

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
They know what it is.. They just don't want to say it. ;)

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out in a year or two, when these cars start accumulating mileage.

warlockgs

Established Member
Year or two nothing.

I've got almost 11k miles on mine already.

I had the piston-slap sound around 3200mi on the clock; it went away around 4600mi.

TiVCT was a lot quieter after 6k.

"Lifter tick" (yes, I know it's not actually lifter tick, just sounds like it) comes and goes. I don't pay it any mind.

The car has a secondary whine somewhere; it sounds like I have a very small, very angry blower under the hood on WOT acceleration. I haven't figured out what causes that noise so I know how to keep it around. :)

But I picked up the car July 25th of this year. 4 months later, 11k miles.

Grant808

Established Member
They know what it is.. They just don't want to say it. ;)

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out in a year or two, when these cars start accumulating mileage.

I'm sure they know what it is. My '00 GT had a little slap at lower rpm when started under 70 degrees or so, and the '00 GT vert (stock/sold) never had it even with 148k on the clock. I think only time will tell if it's a problem on the coyotes.

Does anybody think it *could* be the VCT system? I can't say I understand how it works, but I have trouble thinking that this system could make that much noise.

Maybe it's the additive in the oil putting too much wear on the skirt lining. I'm not tearing her down to find out, though I wouldn't be surprised if that's it.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Damn...some things never change. My New Edge Cobra has been slapping since day one...no biggie with 55K on the clock. Disappears in 5 minutes or so...just go easy. Of course, I always seem to run into someone who wants to have a go in those first 5 minutes. Not thrilled about it...but it is what it is. Ford had a TSB saying it was "normal"...of course, not every car has it. Go figure. No forged pistons to account for it. Sorry to hear this problem also appears in the Coyote. Want to trade motors?

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
I don't really care, as long as it doesn't hurt performance/reliability.. If it gets worse, or some major engine damage occurs, I want this problem documented, though.. Just to cover my own @ss.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Anyone else with this issue? Seems to be getting worse.. If I drive the car and let it get up to temp, then, stop somewhere and let it sit for 30-45 minutes. It makes noise again when I go to drive it! It goes away after a few minutes, but, this can't be normal.. I'm dreading taking it to the dealer, because I'm sure they'll give me the run around.

Travis

warlockgs

Established Member
Anyone else with this issue? Seems to be getting worse.. If I drive the car and let it get up to temp, then, stop somewhere and let it sit for 30-45 minutes. It makes noise again when I go to drive it! It goes away after a few minutes, but, this can't be normal.. I'm dreading taking it to the dealer, because I'm sure they'll give me the run around.

Travis

What mileage are you at now? Mine had the same noise you're describing and the noise lasted for over a thousand miles on the odometer until it finally quieted down.

In retrospect, I consider it a break-in noise.

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
What mileage are you at now? Mine had the same noise you're describing and the noise lasted for over a thousand miles on the odometer until it finally quieted down.

In retrospect, I consider it a break-in noise.

Started at around 1500, and I'm at 3100 now..

Users who are viewing this thread