Project Blue Blaze!

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Hadn't put up a build thread here even though most are familiar with the car, so why the heck not!

Lets keep everything in one place!

Coming off the truck - 6-18-10

Took Delivery 6-19

2011gt23.jpg

Untouched - Lasted less than a week! - Stock time was a 13.28@107 (6-20 less than 100 miles on the odo)

2011gt6.jpg

2011gt15.jpg

Week 1

Got the windows tintend 90% and the windshield 50%. Used a BMR swaybar relocation kit to make room for the wheels. 15x10 Race Stars on the rear and 17x4.5 Race Stars on the front. Running MT ET Streets on the rear and hoosier 26x7.5x17's on the front.

CDC Chin Spoiler and a clear bra as well. 4.10's and an Evo Tune on an Xcal 3 along with a Saleen Grill.

2011gt31.jpg

Along with the 4.10s, Finish Line Performance did a Jeg's Differential cover and welded the axle tubes. Threw on a set of Cobra Jet Drag springs along with a Team Z upper and lower Control Arms.

2011gt24.jpg

Took the car to my buddies, and he came up with some carbon fiber flames for the hood. Most thing it's a reverse painted hood, but it's actually painted to look that way.

2011gt41.jpg

With the tires, tune, and gear, car went [email protected]. (6-25-10) A pickup of just over .9 tenths.

The DA was 2278 by dragtimes.com, so we'll use that as a baseline just for consistency, since they pull weather stats from the same place.

The [email protected] corrects on dragtimes.com to [email protected].

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4qeP_zICAE"]YouTube - Beefcakes 2011 5.0 Mustang GT - Break in @ 400 miles![/nomedia]

3 Weeks

Car off to stainless works for a full system.

2011gt34.jpg

2011gt35.jpg

2011gt38.jpg

7-23-10

Hit the track with the Full Stainless Works System.

Car was ran a 12.27. This was the exact same track as last time with the only change being the stainless works exhaust.

The DA was 2588 ft. Using Drag Times.com the 12.275 Corrects to [email protected] mph. On Lamottas dyno with another car, the headers on a tuned car picked up 23 rwhp. So. Considering I picked up a tenth in worse air (corrected to a tenth in a half at sea level) I'd say those #'s are pretty accurate.

8-5-10

Headed to the NMRA ZMax race in Concord, NC. Finished in the 1/4 finals. Pretty decent for the cars first showing.

Photo Courtesy of MMFF online!
2011gt46.jpg

Photo Courtesy of Ford Racing Nation
zmax1.jpg

8-25-10

Finish Line Performance Installs a Vortech TTrim Prototype 2011 Kit

vortech1.jpg

9-5-10

Trailered the vehicle to Evolution Performance in PA to get it tuned and ready for the 2011 5.0 MMFF Invitational Shootout. Car was dynoed on their MD Dyno with the ET Streets.

Jon Lund popped in to tune the car. It made 528/448 on the dyno.

vortechdyno.jpg

Dyno Video
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH27Og6P8tU"]YouTube - 2011 5.0 Mustang Vortech Dyno[/nomedia]

At the Shootout, the car ran a 10.86 @ 128 mph. (First Factory Automatic Supercharged car in the 10's)

This vid is a couple weeks later, but the shootout was on the downlow for a couple months until the mag came out.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ63GxXqJ9c"]YouTube - First Stock Automatic 2011 Supercharged 5.0 Mustang to go 10's![/nomedia]

9-20-10
For the NMRA Race, I needed to be legal, so I dropped the car off at K&M Welding and Chassis Fabrication in Amelia, OH.

cagec.jpg

cagei.jpg

cagep.jpg

caget.jpg

cageu.jpg

9-29-10
Also for the race, we threw in a Detroit Locker and my factory 3.55's from my 2010 car. They only had about 500 miles on em, so I figured they were good. The car was bouncing off the limiter on the shifts alot with the 3.73's, and I thought the lower gear might help.

10-1-10
Hit the NMRA World Finals. Everyone thought it would slow down, but the car ran .5 better with the 3.55's at the NMRA world finals! First time the car broke 130mph as well. Also took home a win in the SST class!

10nmrabg12.jpg

10nmrabg1.jpg

10nmrabg4.jpg

10nmrabg11.jpg

10-8-1-[/img]

Decided to try out some drag radials, thought they would be good for a tenth or two on the stock auto with no stall. Car spun bad, got back in it down track, it bounce off the limiter pretty hard. And we got...

piston.jpg

rod.jpg

Pulled the motor and that's where were at.

11motor1.jpg

11motor7.jpg

Finish Line Performance pulled the engine and ripped the top off and the tranny.

The Shortblock is at B.E.S. getting Manley Rods and custom Finish Line Performance Spec'd Diamond Pistons at a 10.1 compression ratio.

A complete Fore Fuel system along with triple Walbro 255's will be going in the car as well.

After we get it together running in the next week or two we will be dynoing the car and getting a baseline. We will be ripping the engine back apart to do a head / cam comparison with a set of JPC heads for an article for 5.0 Mustang and Super Ford Magazine. The results of which will be held for the mag.

Also going on will be a JPC upper control arm, JPC line lock, Autometer Cobalt Fuel and Oil pressure gauges along with a boost gauge in a Speed of Sound triple gauge pod. In addition I will be adding a Roush vent pod with a Dynojet wide band to really keep a good eye on whats going on with the car!

Last edited:

cobra1718

Established Member
great story all documented. Congrats on an awesome car:beer:
Oh btw have you ever owned a GT500?

CGoeschel

Established Member
Well this story kind of scares me about what to expect with my 2011 procharged 5.0........

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Well this story kind of scares me about what to expect with my 2011 procharged 5.0........

I wouldn't be too worried. Most production kits will be well below the power / timing levels and rpms I was running. I was planning on building the motor over the winter anyway, so I wasn't too worried about pushing it.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
So would you say 600whp is too much for the stock motor? What were your final hp #'s when it failed?

hard to say, car was making 529 @ 17 degrees @ 7000. The blower just gets nastier as it goes up more. At 7500 and 21 degrees, it would have to be close to 600 rwhp I would think, but can't say for sure.

CGoeschel

Established Member
hard to say, car was making 529 @ 17 degrees @ 7000. The blower just gets nastier as it goes up more. At 7500 and 21 degrees, it would have to be close to 600 rwhp I would think, but can't say for sure.

Is that where you were when it went boom, 7500 rpm?

Last edited:

1bad04cobra

Established Member
Man this thread sorta discourages me. I was hoping to get a procharger for the car I'm ordering and I don't like seeing this. Of coarse I'm ignorant to many of the specifics on how this motor works, but it has seemed to hold up for many others so far with more than 600hp. Hell, Lethal threw a 200 shot at it. I was sure with a safe tune, these engines would take a little boost. Especially since ford makes the blower with warranty. I guess what I'm hoping is that this is a circumstance and not the norm:shrug:

Last edited:

95SC

Banned
Man this thread sorta discourages me. I was hoping to get a procharger for the car I'm ordering and I don't like seeing this. Of coarse I'm ignorant to many of the specifics on how this motor works, but it has seemed to hold up for many others so far with more than 600hp. Hell, Lethal threw a 200 shot at it. I was sure with a safe tune, these engines would take a little boost. Especially since ford makes the blower with warranty. I guess what I'm hoping is that this is a circumstance and not the norm:shrug:

Car spun bad, got back in it down track, it bounce off the limiter pretty hard.

Most likely that's why the engine popped.I don't know how the new PCM works on these mustangs but all the older onces were cutting fuel off when you hit rev limiter.That's why it's very dangerous to be bouncing off the rev limiter on forced induction Ford cars for a long time , specially engine being under load going down the track.

Dave_6

Established Member
I can't wait to see the results from the headwork. I wonder if it's going to be possible to have a 500+ rwhp, streetable NA mod motor here soon!?

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
I wouldn't be too worried. Most production kits will be well below the power / timing levels and rpms I was running. I was planning on building the motor over the winter anyway, so I wasn't too worried about pushing it.

Hi. So this breakage would have been almost impossible on the stock vortech calibration that the standard kit comes with from vortech?

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread