Project Blue Blaze!

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
i would say so, i wouldn't be worried at all.

thx for the millisecond reply. :)

Lastly. I know you are sponsored by Vortech but curious to know your thoughts on Vortech vs Procharger setup. they seem very similar outside the placement of supercharger and intake.

For non tuner versions of both kits, are both standard kits excellent choices?

I am having a hard time deciding. It also seems i could go the NA route for a mid to high 11 sec car. I have no plans to put on anything beyond streetable tires and no plans for skinnies or drag strip.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
thx for the millisecond reply. :)

Lastly. I know you are sponsored by Vortech but curious to know your thoughts on Vortech vs Procharger setup. they seem very similar outside the placement of supercharger and intake.

For non tuner versions of both kits, are both standard kits excellent choices?

I am having a hard time deciding. It also seems i could go the NA route for a mid to high 11 sec car. I have no plans to put on anything beyond streetable tires and no plans for skinnies or drag strip.

i've run a procharger before that i got a good deal on a used head unit and it performed fine.

vortech has helped me out with this car, but previously i had 3 other vehicles i ran vortech's on and never had issues and customer service is great.

this is my 4th vortech'd car for a reason

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
car looks great with that grille and lower bumper piece

one thing Ive never understood, if it spun so bad why bother getting back in it that hard? The run is shot at this point...was it at one of the races and the other guy blew em off too? I see this happen a lot at test and tune nights and cant count how many times Ive seen it nearly cause wrecks etc

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
car looks great with that grille and lower bumper piece

one thing Ive never understood, if it spun so bad why bother getting back in it that hard? The run is shot at this point...was it at one of the races and the other guy blew em off too? I see this happen a lot at test and tune nights and cant count how many times Ive seen it nearly cause wrecks etc

first run, blowing it out, trying to get some heat in the tires. in all honesty i thought i was going fast enough it would only kick down one gear, not 2

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
Were all your runs prior to rebuild on the stock driveshaft? Trying to figure out when is the best time to upgrade the stock 2 piece unit. And which aftermarket unit has no harmonic noise and nvh/vibration issues.

kingnut

Established Member
i've run a procharger before that i got a good deal on a used head unit and it performed fine.

vortech has helped me out with this car, but previously i had 3 other vehicles i ran vortech's on and never had issues and customer service is great.

this is my 4th vortech'd car for a reason

what do you do to abuse cars like this and to have had 4 with superchargers.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Were all your runs prior to rebuild on the stock driveshaft? Trying to figure out when is the best time to upgrade the stock 2 piece unit. And which aftermarket unit has no harmonic noise and nvh/vibration issues.

I put a driveshaft in almost immediately. No issues with the Driveshaft. Pinion angle is key!

what do you do to abuse cars like this and to have had 4 with superchargers.

I used to be in the nutrition business. Now I sell cars!

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
SHE LIVES

Don't worry, we give it a little hell at the end of the vid!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA9P8MsR2XQ"]YouTube - 2011 Built Shortblock Coyote First Startup[/nomedia]

daredevil95

Established Member
Hi, I've been following your write-ups for some time now(S197). I look forward to seeing how the new motor works with the lower compression ratio which most likely means more boost. :) When you grenaded the piston how much boost were you at? In your opinion what is the most boost/AF the stock bottom end of a 5.0 could handle?

P.S. how did Bradenton go this weekend?

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thought i'd update the thread.

We rushed to get everything back together for the Bradenton NMRA. It was a push, but we got it all done.

Heres what we got. BES Built shortblock with Diamond Pistons and Manley Rods. Bischoff also did a mild valve job on the heads, but we didn't do anything crazy because of the upcoming JPC Heads / Cams.

We had BES set us up double keyed for the ATI balancer going on.

Finish Line humped it and got it back in the car and everything working great.

rebuild1.jpg

rebuild2.jpg

rebuild3.jpg

rebuild4.jpg

rebuild5.jpg

For the fuel system. Nothing is available yet for the 2011's. Fore is working on it, but not to market just yet.

We went with a 2010 Fuel tanks we had cleaned and boiled. We added a Fore Hat with Dual Walbro 255's. We also added a Fore Fuel Filter and Fore Fuel Pressure Regulator. Rails will be coming soon, for now we are still dead heading, but the system is working good.

We went with 8 feed lines, and actually used the stock feed line for our return. It worked out really well.

rebuild6.jpg

rebuild7.jpg

rebuild8.jpg

rebuild9.jpg

rebuild10.jpg

rebuild11.jpg

We set the regulator at 40 base PSI and it's boost activated to give about 1 psi per pound of boost. The regulator actually helped calm down the big 60's. Before the return system, the stock system stays about 55psi all the time. And it can play havic with the big injectors at low rpm and idle. The regulator smoothed out 90% of that.

I went with the Autometer Cobalt's for the gauges as I think they are one of the best looking gauges and match the interior really well. We also did a Roush Gauge pod for the Dynojet Wideband.

Day

gauge1.jpg

Night

gauge2.jpg

For a little sizzle, I went with some custom made sill plates.

sill2.jpg

sill3.jpg

sill4.jpg

To make burnouts a little easier, we went with a JPC linelock. It's a single solenoid system and works great so far. Haven't had any issues out of the kit. The fitment is great, and the switch location has worked out really good.

I actually had JPC send us an extra matching switch for the fuel pumps. We wired them in to where we can turn them off for things like loading tunes, or waiting in the lanes with the datalogger running.

linelock1.jpg

linelock3.jpg

We then swapped out to a pulley that is showing us about 13 psi. Peak hp is around 11 psi at 6600 rpms. We are running very conservative on the tune to start with. 11.0 A/F with 17 to 18 degrees of timing. The car made 585 rwhp and 486 ft/lbs on
Dog House Racing's Dynojet.

11dynonewmotor1.jpg

Next up is the Boss Intake install. We sent the car to our fab buddy Rob Lewis at Rogue Race Cars in Williamsburg, OH. A new tube to the intake was going to be needed. The Vortech Kit inverts the throttle body. With the Boss Intake, the inverted throttle body hits the hood. So? What now?

How bout 90 degrees? The trick is the bolt pattern does not match. Luckily Rob is a talented individual and threw the adapter on the lathe and cut it in half, did a little rotating, welding, and machining, and voila! A perfect adapter!

bossintake1.jpg

Here are a few pics of where we are at right now with the car.

bossintake2.jpg

bossintake3.jpg

bossintake6.jpg

Dyno #'s on the Boss Intake will be coming tomorrow! The JPC Heads and Cams are awaiting install this weekend as well. Unfortunately those results are going to be part of an article for 5.0 Mustang and Super Ford Magazine. So, you'll have to wait for the article from Michael Johnson!

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
time for some updates

added the JPC heads / Cams. We ended up pulling the Boss Intake as the 2 just didn't seem to like each other. As far as the power gains, it's coming in 5.0 lol.

We also finished up the fuel system on the car.

We got rid of the lil 2 into 1 fitting we had and added Fore's nice billet 3 in to 1.

fore3.jpg

fore2.jpg

The piece actually fit in real good under the stock pastic piece under there. It tucks back a little more, but i left it forward for pic purposes.

We also got the inline filter added as well. Each pump has a nice filter under it, but this adds a little protection.

fore1.jpg

On the old setup we were running the #8 to the regulator and then returning off the regulator. Still dead heading at the rails.

With the metco rails, we were able to go to a true return system.

For the fuel line, we are using Earls Pro Lite. Brian @ Finish Line really likes it alot more than steel braided. It's lighter, more flexible, but plenty durable. Still looks real good too!

pro_lite.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Got the Circle D converter installed. It actually did better than I predicted. The converter combined with a 2.85 vs 3.12 pulley dropped 60's from 2.0's to a best of 1.46.

Best e.t. so far has been a 10.14@139 mph. That was compared to the 11.0's we'd been seeing on the new lower compression engine.

The T trim blower has a 3.75" inlet. The car has actually been running the 3.5" tube that Vortech sent with the pre production kit. I never even thought about the fact that the inlet pipe was corking us.

TT Mike R @ Vortech and he seemed to think a 4" inlet would be good for maybe 1 psi but maybe as much as 40-50 rwhp.

I have actually been overspinning the blower by about 5000 or so rpms with the 2.85 pulley. We tried a 2.75 anyway, got some slip, and still ran a 10.15.

Thinkin about a larger inlet got me thinking about a blower more matched to the rpm's I am seeing on it. I sent the head unit back to vortech. I already had the heavy duty gear case, so it was pretty easy for them to upgrade the blower to a "JT" trim.

The differences are

Blower--RPM-------CMF-------HP Rating
T------55000-----1200--------825
JT-----60000-----1450--------1000

We swapped back to the 2.85 pulley as well as it will put the blower right at the top of it's range.

The air charge should be cooler too.

We also got the new inlet fabbed up. 4" all the way through. We also cut down a lot of extra tubing from the blow off as well.

vortech4.jpg

vortech5.jpg

vortech6.jpg

Some comparison pics on the 2 tubes.

The pics do not do the justice to the size of difference in the filter either. It's overall about 50% bigger.

vortech7.jpg

vortech8.jpg

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
So wait a second you are able to Upgrade a T-trim to a JT-trim as long as you have the upgraded bearings??? BTW sick ass build man!!!

Users who are viewing this thread