Get a Bob's Catch can if you haven't already...

Copper&Black

Established Member
Drained the Pass side catch can after around 2000 miles of spirited street driving. As you can see there is a fair amount of oil that would have been coating my supercharger/intercooler.

I found the best way to drain it is by cutting a section out of a water bottle. It allows me to hold the top of the bottle firmly as the catch can is draining into the bottom of the bottle.

C17497D5-AA17-4BFD-B602-547B4CF402B0-6969-000003E592F519D3_zps84c897e0.jpg

2000 miles

50F350AE-8DAD-46FB-9F8B-3A0F527B8306-6969-000003E59C3B6F1C_zpsc71158d6.jpg

Van's the Man!

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I used that techinique the first few times I drained it...makes sure you cut off about a good 3 or 4 inches. You will get quite a bit of oil. I drained it again last week and used a small can of tomato sauce that we had sitting in the recycle bin

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Drained the Pass side catch can after around 2000 miles of spirited street driving. As you can see there is a fair amount of oil that would have been coating my supercharger/intercooler.

I found the best way to drain it is by cutting a section out of a water bottle. It allows me to hold the top of the bottle firmly as the catch can is draining into the bottom of the bottle.

C17497D5-AA17-4BFD-B602-547B4CF402B0-6969-000003E592F519D3_zps84c897e0.jpg

2000 miles

50F350AE-8DAD-46FB-9F8B-3A0F527B8306-6969-000003E59C3B6F1C_zpsc71158d6.jpg

Van's the Man!

Wow ! For 2K miles

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Drained the Pass side catch can after around 2000 miles of spirited street driving. As you can see there is a fair amount of oil that would have been...

...drawn into the combustions chamber, burned with the rest of the hydrocarbons, and expelled out the exhaust.

Don't get me wrong, it's better to NOT recirculate this into the intake tract. Some of it does create a residue, and that which enters the combustion chamber has the effect of lowering the effective octane rating of the fuel... but this 'shock and awe' campaign reminds me of politicians whining about draconian spending cuts that in the end still amount to a net spending increase.

It would also be interesting to see (I believe someone on here has already done a preliminary study) on how this reclaimed oil volume is affected by the type of oil one uses.

Last edited:

mullens

Established Member
...drawn into the combustions chamber, burned with the rest of the hydrocarbons, and expelled out the exhaust.

Don't get me wrong, it's better to NOT recirculate this into the intake tract. Some of it does create a residue, aneffective octane rating of the fuel... but this 'shock and awe' campaign reminds me of politicians whining about draconian spending cuts that in the end still d that which enters the combustion chamber has the effect of lowering the amount to a net spending increase.

It would be interesting to see (I believe someone on here has already done a preliminary study) on how this reclaimed oil volume is affected by the type of oil one uses.

I wouldn't call it shock and awe. Yes there is an excitement about a mod that won't affect your warranty, is relatively inexpensive, easy to install and works as advertised. That's quite a combination.

Copper&Black

Established Member

Don't get me wrong, it's better to NOT recirculate this into the intake tract. Some of it does create a residue, aneffective octane rating of the fuel... but this 'shock and awe' campaign reminds me of politicians whining about draconian spending cuts that in the end still d that which enters the combustion chamber has the effect of lowering the amount to a net spending increase.

It would be interesting to see (I believe someone on here has already done a preliminary study) on how this reclaimed oil volume is affected by the type of oil one uses.

Haha, My apologies for being a party to a sinister smear campaign depriving my supercharger of it's much deserved oil. Perhaps you could tell me the optimal Air/Fuel/Oil Ratio for my ride....wouldn't want my 2 stroke to dry up and burn up.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member

Prior to burning in the cylinders, the oil coats the inter-cooler with a oil film, which eventually turns to a black sludge, which reduces the inter-cooler efficiency, which reduces horsepower, etc..

Do a search for pics of contaminated inter-coolers.

black mba

Established Member
i have the jlt separators on mine . so if its such a big issue why ford doesnt have them installed from the factory cost im sure but i dont think its a big issue

Steve@BAS

Established Member
i have the jlt separators on mine . so if its such a big issue why ford doesnt have them installed from the factory cost im sure but i dont think its a big issue

This issue has been discussed here a lot.

First is probably service. No OEM wants to have extra steps to do every 3K miles, such as empty oil separator. Further, many lubetechs wouldn't know to drain it for the average Joe who just brings it to jiffylube, etc.

We here on this site are enthusiasts, and we love keeping our cars running perfect forever. What does the auto manufacturer care if the car doesn't run at 100% down the road? Most people keep them stock, and would never notice the difference. But those who up the boost sure don't want to have the octane rated degraded, or have their innercooler not work to it's fullest.

There certainly is no benefit to having this oil go back into your car.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member

I agree it's best to keep that stuff out of your intake, but i prefer more quantifiable data than just pictures before I panic. How many cfm did that engine pick up after the core was replaced? How much horsepower was reclaimed? Did the discharge temperature drop a measurable amount? How do those numbers compare to an engine that has used an oil seperator for the same duty cycle, assuming both are properly maintained?

It would be cool if someone would do a 150,000 mile comparison between an engine with/without an oil seperater. Until that happens, I'd consider buying one for peace-of-mind, but I wouldn't be afraid to drive my car without one. That's all I'm saying.

mullens

Established Member
This issue has been discussed here a lot.

First is probably service. No OEM wants to have extra steps to do every 3K miles, such as empty oil separator. Further, many lubetechs wouldn't know to drain it for the average Joe who just brings it to jiffylube, etc.

We here on this site are enthusiasts, and we love keeping our cars running perfect forever. What does the auto manufacturer care if the car doesn't run at 100% down the road? Most people keep them stock, and would never notice the difference. But those who up the boost sure don't want to have the octane rated degraded, or have their innercooler not work to it's fullest.

There certainly is no benefit to having this oil go back into your car.

^^^ THIS.

BTW anyone who takes their Shelby to a Jiffy Lube should be shot.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
I agree it's best to keep that stuff out of your intake, but i prefer more quantifiable data than just pictures before I panic. How many cfm did that engine pick up after the core was replaced? How much horsepower was reclaimed? Did the discharge temperature drop a measurable amount? How do those numbers compare to an engine that has used an oil seperator for the same duty cycle, assuming both are properly maintained?

It would be cool if someone would do a 150,000 mile comparison between an engine with/without an oil seperater. Until that happens, I'd consider buying one for peace-of-mind, but I wouldn't be afraid to drive my car without one. That's all I'm saying.

Why not do the test yourself. Don't put one on and let up know how your inter-cooler looks in 150,000 miles. Take good notes so we have some quantifiable data to look at.

JvKintheUSA

Established Member
I installed JLT's on both sides at about 5k miles, but last week at 6700 miles installed Bob's oil seperator on the passenger side since it seems to be more effective than the JLT (which had a table spoon of oil in it). I checked the driver side JLT and it is dry as a bone. Just wondering if the super charger needs any lube. Can anyone chime in on that?

ObieFox

Established Member
I wouldn't call it shock and awe. Yes there is an excitement about a mod that won't affect your warranty, is relatively inexpensive, easy to install and works as advertised. That's quite a combination.

I've sat this discussion out several times, but here goes: :)

How do you know it will not cause warranty problems? You are adding a non-factory part that modifies the PCV system on an extremely complicated and expensive engine. If you have an engine related problem during the warranty period, my guess is you will be going round and round with them about wether or not this modification contributed to the failure in any way.

How could it cause a problem? Well, if for any reason the PCV system was to get plugged up, it would create a dramatic increase in crankcase pressure that would cause all kinds of problems.

Is it likely, probably not, but it can and has happened to other manufacturers oil separator designs.

BMW had a huge, well known oil separator problem:
What years of X5's are most susceptible to the dreaded oil separator failure? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Porsche warranty claim problem with oil separator:
Can oil separator cause catastrophic engine failure? - Rennlist Discussion Forums

I completely understand the oil vapor issue in play here as I have had several factory blown fords over the past 10 years, but if hassle free warranty service is important to you, I would wait and put the separator on after 3/36,000.

And please don't quote Magnuson Moss, I get it, but IMO this is not a fight you want to have if you plan to keep the car otherwise stock.

Take care,
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread