Get a Bob's Catch can if you haven't already...

Snoopy49

Established Member
Kevin

This is from a 2013 that has 1,500 miles on it. No oil separator and was broke in easy. I've got customers that order the separator and an extra PCV line for the passenger side. One bolt and two clips and it's back to stock before they go to the dealer if they so desire.

Van

Van,
Didn't you post a P/N for the 2013 PCV hose assembly. If so, can you repost it.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Let's look at it another way. Ford has been torture testing these blown modulars on their engine dyno's for years. They run them night and day with the exhaust manifolds glowing for thousands and thousands of miles. After this torture, they tear them down for inspection. Don't you think that if the intercoolers were getting "clogged" or degraded with oil residue that they may have noticed that?

The bean counters may have no knowledge of excess vapor/oil in the PCV tract, but the engineers certainly do...

2013-ford-shelby-gt500-03_gallery_image_large.jpg

2013-ford-shelby-gt500-05_gallery_image_large.jpg

RedfireWhipple

Established Member
I agree it's best to keep that stuff out of your intake, but i prefer more quantifiable data than just pictures before I panic. How many cfm did that engine pick up after the core was replaced? How much horsepower was reclaimed? Did the discharge temperature drop a measurable amount? How do those numbers compare to an engine that has used an oil seperator for the same duty cycle, assuming both are properly maintained?

It would be cool if someone would do a 150,000 mile comparison between an engine with/without an oil seperater. Until that happens, I'd consider buying one for peace-of-mind, but I wouldn't be afraid to drive my car without one. That's all I'm saying.

So many people refuse to "lose" and just keep defending. It's pretty simple here, most people understanding performance and efficiency see a very clear path of reason here.. Oil in my intake system - THAT HAS AN INTERCOOLER IN IT - that is there for the very purpose of COOLING the air intake temperature.. Question -- COULD the presence of oil getting burned over time and caking on and clogging the FINS THAT HELP TO COOL the air in my ULTRA High performance engine get effected from this??

Answer to anyone taking a brief moment to understand this -- YES.. We are talking about a mod that is cost effective, WORKS, does not hurt warranty, and gives piece of mind..

There is ZERO benefit and only negative possible effects of Oil going through the intercooler residing in the supercharger housing and air path.

Now, yes I am aware of other products and reasons why it can be ok and possibly beneficial to introduce oils or types of lubricants/cleaners that will go through the combustion chamber -- BUT those almost always do not involve that said oil to go through the intercooler. Sea Foam is a CLEANER that is similar to a degreaser that some have used to CLEAN their intercoolers - and some state tha tit helps while others believe it's more snake oil. Either way -- it is CLEANING an already identified oily/greasy area.

More the reason to not allow it in there in the first place.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
So many people refuse to "lose" and just keep defending. It's pretty simple here, most people understanding performance and efficiency see a very clear path of reason here.. Oil in my intake system - THAT HAS AN INTERCOOLER IN IT - that is there for the very purpose of COOLING the air intake temperature.. Question -- COULD the presence of oil getting burned over time and caking on and clogging the FINS THAT HELP TO COOL the air in my ULTRA High performance engine get effected from this??

Answer to anyone taking a brief moment to understand this -- YES.. We are talking about a mod that is cost effective, WORKS, does not hurt warranty, and gives piece of mind..

There is ZERO benefit and only negative possible effects of Oil going through the intercooler residing in the supercharger housing and air path...

I agree with everything you said. My only point is that it should be marketed with data, and side-by-side comparisons, not scare tactics. I'm just trying to calm both the 'chicken littles' and the 'group-thinkers'. It reminds me too much of the scare tactics politicians use to justify bailouts or trillion dollar deficits.

It's not about winning or losing an argument, it is about sharing ideas, questions, and points-of-view. I just asked questions to see if there are any quantitative answers out there. We should encourage this, not attempt to beat it into submission.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Anyone with half a brain can see the benefit of running a separator when shown a picture like the ones shown here. That's clear evidence of a fact of need as opposed to an opinion of need. I've torn apart a lot of motors over the years (in addition to built, raced, and broken) and have seen with my own eyes the benefits of running such separators. Anytime oil runs through the intake like that for long periods of time, the whole system builds up grime and severe residue, and effects performance. Even if the intercooler weren't a concern (which it is), the pistons themselves acquire buildup which directly effects performance. Ford might have an 18% drop in efficiency window, but that's not acceptable (or rather, should not be) to anyone concerned about performance.

Why someone has to be so adamantly against the grain with this I don't understand. The evidence is clear. Further testing would only further show the need. If the pictures alone aren't enough evidence, then I don't think anything else will be either. It's blatantly obvious to the rest of us.

And I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon of "everybody needs this" like we've seen a lot here on SVTP (cooling mod, 26 spine input shaft on the 03-04's....Nah). But this one is pretty obvious.

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

I agree with everything you said. My only point is that it should be marketed with data, and side-by-side comparisons, not scare tactics. I'm just trying to calm both the 'chicken littles' and the 'group-thinkers'. It reminds me too much of the scare tactics politicians use to justify bailouts or trillion dollar deficits.

It's not about winning or losing an argument, it is about sharing ideas, questions, and points-of-view. I just asked questions to see if there are any quantitative answers out there. We should encourage this, not attempt to beat it into submission.

Who is using scare tactics? As for "calming" the 'chicken littles' and 'group thinkers' I suggest that the membership of SVTP particularly are outside of the 'chicken little' and 'group thinker' mentality. We are all quite capable of digesting and disseminating information presented on the forum. We are also capable of healthy forum discussion.

I personally have presented multiple instances where I drained the catch can and provided visual evidence of my results. Then I have had customers post the same. The OP is a customer and shared his results which are similar to other customers.

I also appreciate your position that it should be marketed side by side with data and comparisons. Independent testing by customers has been performed and reported as can be seen in this link. The link below is essentially a year of installations and reports on various manufacturers and their independent review versus the Bob's Oil Separator. It's a good read however the link is a "fast forward" to page 11 for a comparison by one individual who has used Bob's and JLT.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-air-separator-catch-can-11.html#post12161541

mullens

Established Member

Very well put. Forums are for sharing of information, opinions and ideas. Extremism on either side is not good. I don't use a mod just because the manufacturer says it works. I do thorough research, which includes reviews from people who have installed it, along with technical data.

What I don't like is the "If it didn't come from Ford or is not in the manual then it doesn't belong on the car" crowd. Shortsighted at best. Ever see A Few Good Men? "Show me in the manual where the mess hall is." It's not always in the manual.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Very well put. Forums are for sharing of information, opinions and ideas. Extremism on either side is not good. I don't use a mod just because the manufacturer says it works. I do thorough research, which includes reviews from people who have installed it, along with technical data.

What I don't like is the "If it didn't come from Ford or is not in the manual then it doesn't belong on the car" crowd. Shortsighted at best. Ever see A Few Good Men? "Show me in the manual where the mess hall is." It's not always in the manual.

somebody who gets it....:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread