• Yes

Votes: 110 44.2%
  • No

Votes: 139 55.8%

• Total voters

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
I've always run a Hypertech 160 in all my cars, and I'm ready to do a swap. How many are running a 160 stat? Any problem?

DHFB

Established Member
I need to get off my lazy butt and install mine. I have it for over 2 months but have had my sites on my 77 (smoked acceleratot pump the other day and decided it need a full rebuild. Took the carb off and decided I needed a new manifold gasket. Put a new manifold gasket on and now I think I should change out the cam, intake, and carb! This is my world and your welcome to it.

Akuma

Established Member
I have a 180 right now and it works great. I have heard that the 160 dosnt hold the coolant in the radiator long enough. i.e. it makes the engine a lot hotter.

JWC

Established Member
I have the 160 that came with my KB s/c kit. Its was installed about a year ago and over 10,000 miles, no problems.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
I also have the 160 Thermstat in my car. The problem is living down in S.Florida is that the car runs the same temp. as with the factory thermostat. The electric fans do not kick on until the halfway mark on the gauge. So if I go out on cool night and hit the highway it will run at 160. The minute I hit traffic/slow down the temp. goes back up. FYI

svtnos1011

STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD
Established Member
zinc03svt said:
I also have the 160 Thermstat in my car. The problem is living down in S.Florida is that the car runs the same temp. as with the factory thermostat. The electric fans do not kick on until the halfway mark on the gauge. So if I go out on cool night and hit the highway it will run at 160. The minute I hit traffic/slow down the temp. goes back up. FYI
do ya have the stock heat exchanger?? im moving from chicago to ft lauderdale area in the next couple weeks.. im kinda worried bout the heat

jimh

Established Member
zinc03svt said:

Go to your tuner. The temp settings to turn on and off the fans can be set through the PCM.

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
I am not real concerned until I up the pulley to a 2.80. Then I will upgrade the heat exchanger along with a custom tune.

svtnos1011

STRIKE FIRST, STRIKE HARD
Established Member
zinc03svt said:
I am not real concerned until I up the pulley to a 2.80. Then I will upgrade the heat exchanger along with a custom tune.
we are gona have to go cruising in a couple weeks when i move out there :burnout:

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
help

i need to ask because that is the only way I will know.

What is the purpose of using a different degree thermostat?
what is stock? I am looking to buy a car that seems to have a 2.73, MAC L/T headers, MAC mid, flows, super chip and a K&N FIPK... it also has a 160 degree thermostat, what are the advantages to having this?

Thanks for the help

KJ Hoppus

Black2k3svt
Established Member
i put a 160 in my GT and it seamed to get hot to fast, but maybe it wasnt the Thermostat. I dont plan to change this one.

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
ok

what if the car was re-tuned, then would it still make the car more rich or just as normal as the 180 degree thermostat?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
The ECU is programmed for 180°F and this triggers various circuits in the system that the car is running at normal operating temperatures.

It does make the car run rich, which is a good thing if you are getting detonation. Too rich, however, is bad.

Additionally, 180° is quite low already. Any lower and the coolant becomes less efficient since there is less pressure in the system.

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
PlatinumCobra said:
The ECU is programmed for 180°F and this triggers various circuits in the system that the car is running at normal operating temperatures.

Not true. The car is designed to run at or near stoichiometry once it has determined that a warm cycle has been completed. This is determined by am internal clock and not the coolant temperature. Cars have been designed that way since the 90's

PlatinumCobra said:
It does make the car run rich, which is a good thing if you are getting detonation. Too rich, however, is bad.

Once again, if the car is using the O2 sensor for mixture control, the temperature of the coolant does not matter.

PlatinumCobra said:
Additionally, 180° is quite low already. Any lower and the coolant becomes less efficient since there is less pressure in the system.
Pressure is allowed in the cooling system to increase the boiling point of the coolant to ensure liquid coolant is flowing around all internal cooling passages instead of steam. At 180°, the coolant is not even boiling so the pressure postulation proposed is proposterous.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
evil04cobra said:
Not true. The car is designed to run at or near stoichiometry once it has determined that a warm cycle has been completed. This is determined by am internal clock and not the coolant temperature. Cars have been designed that way since the 90's

Once again, if the car is using the O2 sensor for mixture control, the temperature of the coolant does not matter.

Pressure is allowed in the cooling system to increase the boiling point of the coolant to ensure liquid coolant is flowing around all internal cooling passages instead of steam. At 180°, the coolant is not even boiling so the pressure postulation proposed is proposterous.

No, those are incorrect statements. THW readings affect just about everything the ECU does. If N.O.T. is never reached, it will affect timing, idle speed, fuel A/F (Warm-Up Enrichment), and hot startup.

Startup enrichment is triggered by a timer immediately after startup. After that, the THW signal is used. Now, it might be safe to say that Ford is using 158° for basic calculations to turn off the cold start cycle, but as you can imagine reasonable error in the mechanical thermostat (meaning it runs open loop at 157°F can cause problems with this circuit.

Secondly, if the car never reaches normal operating temperatures, the 02 sensors continue to operate in an open loop, and therefore are never used to adjust A/F mixture.

Thirdly, if the coolant doesn't reach a certain temperature, it does three things. 1) The oil temperature may or may not reach the ever critical 190°F mark, and can cause premature engine wear , 2) The length of time the coolant is in the radiator is diminished (since the thermostat is open longer), and 3) For every pound of pressure exerted on the coolant in the system, the static boiling point of the coolant is raised by approximately 3°F; this of course is assuming the system is pressurized to the correct level after reaching normal operating temperatures, which may not happen if the majority of coolant is below 180°.

For everyone's reading enjoyment:

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h24.pdf
http://www.centuryperformance.com/coolingsys.asp

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
Dude,

You are once again posting an argument that just does not hold water. If I have a known good IAT and a known good HEGO, then I absolutely DO NOT NEED CTS to to determine rich/lean or control it.

Once the 02 is hot enough to provide stabilized output, the vehicle goes into closed loop. That is OBDII, or as you like to call it ODBII. It has been that way since 1996, no matter what your goofy internet article has to say.

The engine oil at the bearing being 190 degrees has little or no effect on the hydrodynamic wedge of a modern multi-vis oil, so your point is moot there as well. I am glad you are on the internet doing some quick studying, for that you are to be commended, but unfortunately the internet, like your informal automotive education is flawed.

If the coolant moves faster through the block, it is not going to pick up adequate heat from the engine to be radiated away in the radiator, not the other way around as you so skillfully plagarized from the second article. That is why you don't remove the thermostats, you just run a colder one. That way the cooling restriction created by the thrmostat still exists, slowing coolant flow so it can draw heat away from engine components.

***EDIT*** The first article you refer to involves Toyota engine management circa 1983 to 1985. The second is just a bunch of jargon trying to get chicklet heads such as yourself to buy stuff. While there is some pertinent information in there, it is certainly skewed, and much more of it is outdated. If the coolant moves faster through the block, it is not going to pick up adequate heat from the engine to be radiated away in the radiator, not the other way around as you so skillfully plagarized from the second article. That is why you don't remove the thermostst, you just run a colder one. That way the cooling restriction still exists, slowing coolant flow so it can draw heat away from engine components.

Last edited:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
evil04cobra said:
Dude,

You are once again posting an argument that just does not hold water. If I have a known good IAT and a known good HEGO, then I absolutely DO NOT NEED CTS to to determine rich/lean.

Once the 02 is hot enough to provide stabilized output, the vehicle goes into closed loop. That is OBDII, or as you like to call it ODBII. It has been that way sisnce 1996, no matter what your goofy internet article has to say.

The engine oil at the bearing being 190 degrees has little or no effect on the hydrodynamic wedge of a modern multi-vis oil, so your point is moot there as well. I am glad you are on the internet doing some quick studying, for that you are to be commended, but unfortunately the internet, like your informal automotive education is flawed.

Those articles come from Toyota Motor Sales, and are up-to-date for OBDII (and yes, I apologize for my dislexai) standards.

http://www.autoshop101.com/autoshop15.html

I guess the following statements from Toyota like:

In order to prevent overheating of the catalyst and ensure good driveability, open loop operation is required under the following conditions:

• During Engine Starting
  • During Cold engine operation
  • During moderate to heavy load operation
  • During acceleration and deceleration

and

In addition to fuel calculations,the TWA signal plays a major role in almost every other function that the ECU serves.

and

By the time the coolant temperature reaches 176°F(80'C), the cold fast idle program has ended.

is just them spewing BS. Naturally, the numbers may change, but the concepts are all the same.

And just because you may be a student or a mechanic, or even a tuner, does not make you an expert on the automobile. One of the more sinister reasons why people are blowing up motors on here.

My patience with you is done, and that's a tough thing to do on here. Back on ignore. I suggest you do the same.

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
PlatinumCobra said:
Those articles come from Toyota Motor Sales, and are up-to-date for OBDII (and yes, I apologize for my dislexai) standards.

http://www.autoshop101.com/autoshop15.html

I guess the following statements from Toyota like:

In order to prevent overheating of the catalyst and ensure good driveability, open loop operation is required under the following conditions:

• During Engine Starting
  • During Cold engine operation
  • During moderate to heavy load operation
  • During acceleration and deceleration

and

In addition to fuel calculations,the TWA signal plays a major role in almost every other function that the ECU serves.

and

By the time the coolant temperature reaches 176°F(80'C), the cold fast idle program has ended.

is just them spewing BS. Naturally, the numbers may change, but the concepts are all the same.

And just because you may be a student or a mechanic, or even a tuner, does not make you an expert on the automobile. One of the more sinister reasons why people are blowing up motors on here.

My patience with you is done, and that's a tough thing to do on here. Back on ignore. I suggest you do the same.

If you choose to go hide your head in the sand while I try to make sense out of the contextually misleading information you share then by all means, place me on ignore. I can have just as much fun making fun of you behind your back as to your face.

Cold engine operation is regarded as times when the exhaust has not supplied sufficient heat to provide stabilized O2 output, or in cases of acceleration when a WOT strategy is used to provide a richer mixture and promote maximum vehicle power.

In this statement you made here "In addition to fuel calculations,the TWA signal plays a major role in almost every other function that the ECU serves." You can't even copy the information correctly, much less realize the article is talking about a prehistoric TCCS system that was outdated in 1988.

Please don't plan on paying attention to me until you realize I can smell your pseudo-smart internet auto BS a mile away.

Quit talking about crap that you do not understand and I will leave you alone.

You don't see me going to IFPUG forums and parrot crap I found on the 'net, show the folks here the same courtesy. Your limited automotive knowledge combined with your penchant to whine and snivel when you have been duly corrected (or in general for that matter) is somethig I would expect from someone much younger than you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread