160 Thermostat

• Yes

Votes: 110 44.2%
  • No

Votes: 139 55.8%

• Total voters

ModsAway

Established Member
subscribing... a lower thermostat in these cars seems to be a controversial discussion to which many don't have any answers.

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
ModsAway said:
subscribing... a lower thermostat in these cars seems to be a controversial discussion to which many don't have any answers.

I sent you a PM,

A lower thermostat in these cars on its own is a waste of money IMHO. There are certainly improvements that can be made to the cooling system to lower operating temperatures, but a thermostat on its own is not going to accomplish this. 25 years ago when cars had gigantic radiators and much more cooling capacity, the thermostat was able to dictate temperature much easier. Today's cars with smaller cooling systems designed to operate efficiently under low sloping hood lines, the capacity is going to have to be increased before the thermostat can mandate operating temperature. Without changing capacity and increasing radiator size (at least cooling surface area), regardless of the thermostat, the car is gonna run at the temperature it wants to. The thermostat in these cars is just dictating the temperature when coolant flow to the radiator begins, certainly not the temperature of the coolant passing through the engine at operating temperature.

ModsAway

Established Member
I have the "supporting" or more important cooling mods all ready to go, I am trying to get more info on a thermostat being beneficial or not.

Any truth to the stock thermostat not being fully open until its above 210 degrees? If it does not open until 200+ degree wouldn't this be decreasing the benefits of a better HE & radiator?

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
Thermostats are kind of a primitive design, but should certainly be fully open within 10 degrees of their rated temperature. If not, it should be replaced.

jimh

Established Member
ModsAway said:
I have the "supporting" or more important cooling mods all ready to go, I am trying to get more info on a thermostat being beneficial or not.

Any truth to the stock thermostat not being fully open until its above 210 degrees? If it does not open until 200+ degree wouldn't this be decreasing the benefits of a better HE & radiator?

I think 210 is just when the fans come on in the stock tune.

jim

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
With the primary cause of detonation in these engines being end gasses that combust due to lack of heat dissipation, I can see why this has become a heated subject. No pun intended. :)

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I think the best answer is to upgrade the radiator. :shrug:. The engine was designed to run at the temps that it come from the factory with. As long as your engine is able to keep it's self within those parameters you should be fine. If it can't then it most likely has nothing to do with the T-stat unless it is faulty or broken. Upgrading the radiator will still keep the engine temps the same with the stock T-stat, but when the T-stat opens it will allow the engine to cool back down from it's hottest point much quicker.

Last edited:

4.6modular

The Learning SVT Poster
Established Member
Good information Evil04Cobra. What is your automotive background? A larger radiator makes perfect sense due to the added coolant being able to absorb and dissipate heat more quickly, but not necessarily more efficiently. By adding a larger radiator you are adding more surface area. Does that sound correct?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
yeap. More surface area, and larger capacity = good.

ModsAway

Established Member
If you people are going to vote please give your opinions. This has been a hard decision for me and this thread at the top over and over just teases me.

If you have voted you have an opinion, lets hear it!!!

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
ModsAway said:
If you people are going to vote please give your opinions. This has been a hard decision for me and this thread at the top over and over just teases me.

If you have voted you have an opinion, lets hear it!!!

I agree 100% Now, let's hear the pro and if any, cons..... :rolling:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I still say.."stay with the stock T-stat". At least until you modify the fan timing, and install a better radiator.

ModsAway

Established Member
Thanks Hissman... I am doing the HE, radiator, reservoir, and will adjust my fans on setting as well when I program for the 2.76.

Do you recommend a 170? I was going to buy JDM's 170 degree thermostat as some have said a 160 may be too aggressive/cold.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
A 170 would be better than a 160 IMO, but there again, I have not seen enough test data to give a good opinion.

Krieger

Established Member
My street experience says No.
When I had my old poncho 428 I found the best combo was a 180F-190F Stat, 4 Core Desert Cooler, and 1800-2500CFM via electrics for low flow situations (traffic). I tried the 160 and it was no good.
You don't know real overheating problems until you've dealt with the old Pontiac blocks.

The Cobra just needed the fan settings adjusted just like my Z06 did (stock Z06 program kept it around 210-220 in traffic ouch!).

When it comes time to change the fluid, change the stat with a new model but same temp.

My suggestion for those in need of more cooling is to get a BIGGER RADIATOR.

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
I voted for the lower temp Tstat, but not as a stand-alone mod. I run a Fluidyne radiator, Evans waterless coolant, 160 degree tstat, lower fan temp settings, electric water pump, the Apten cooling mod and a temp sender between 7&8 in the block.
I can make 22# of boost and wanted ALL the cooling capacity I could get.

The mod on it's way is a Hydro chiller for the HE circuit. More to follow.

ModsAway

Established Member
99Blkcobravert said:
I voted for the lower temp Tstat, but not as a stand-alone mod. I run a Fluidyne radiator, Evans waterless coolant, 160 degree tstat, lower fan temp settings, electric water pump, the Apten cooling mod and a temp sender between 7&8 in the block.
I can make 22# of boost and wanted ALL the cooling capacity I could get.

The mod on it's way is a Hydro chiller for the HE circuit. More to follow.

What kind of operating temps are you seeing with that setup? Do you know what your stock temps were??

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
On the temp gauge I see the thermostat open about 180 degrees then the temp stays about 195 when in traffic. I don't remember what the stock temps were.

I ordered the remote thermostat housing today from Evans. They say that the flow problem with the stock setup is due to too much fluid bypassing the radiator all the time. This should make more of a difference as it warms up in the summer.

Users who are viewing this thread