Still losing coolant out the cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Here's the problem in a nutshell. While driving, I'm losing coolant out of the cap. This is a new cap, about 1 month old. I don't think it's a cap problem, as after turning the car off and letting it sit for AWHILE, it will pssst, like opening a coke. So that tells me its holding pressure. I've tried burping the system, but I guess I'm not doing it correctly? I've checked for a blown headgasket, combustion test was good, runs perfect, no water in oil, no misfiring, etc....So the question....Is it that difficult to remove an airpocket, and how did I get an air pocket? Will the airpocket cause the vehicle to spray coolant from the cap? This car is really begginning to not be fun. This keeps up much longer it will be in the forsale section. What is the correct procedure to remove the airpocket???? Help needed from those whom have expierenced this problem. :beer:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
they all go pssssssst when you shut them off.

i'd run that compression test again. your symptoms describe a lifted head or blown head gasket.

search for the procedure on how to burp the baby. it has been posted many many times.

Juruense

Banned
Take it to the stealership and let them get the air out and be done with it.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
Yeah mine pushes some through the cap even after I put on a new cap. Just powdercoated a new Canton tank and hoping to put it on. I don't get noise from mine though. Just some spots...

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Once they spew, they will often warp where the cap seats. If you KNOW the air is out of the system, that could be the issue.

I have seen the top ridge of the cap seat trued up with a flat file, though most usually end up replacing the tank.

To remove air... and fill coolant.
(If you can park on a sloped driveway or jack the car slightly in the front this helps)

Open rad cap and put back on.
Open burp plug in crossover tube and fill with coolant/water mix.

Drive till totally warmed up and park till cool to touch. After cool check and fill at burp plug only.

Repeat as required. (usually 3 times)

DarkSnake

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
overflow tank is known to warp at the filler cap. change the overflow tank once you know that termostat is good etc.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Once they spew, they will often warp where the cap seats. If you KNOW the air is out of the system, that could be the issue.

I have seen the top ridge of the cap seat trued up with a flat file, though most usually end up replacing the tank.

To remove air... and fill coolant.
(If you can park on a sloped driveway or jack the car slightly in the front this helps)

Open rad cap and put back on.
Open burp plug in crossover tube and fill with coolant/water mix.

Drive till totally warmed up and park till cool to touch. After cool check and fill at burp plug only.

Repeat as required. (usually 3 times)

Even after the car has sat overnight there is pressure at either the cap, or crossover plug. So release pressure at the cap then close and fill through the fill plug?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Even after the car has sat overnight there is pressure at either the cap, or crossover plug. So release pressure at the cap then close and fill through the fill plug?

yes, but there should be minimal pressure after it has cooled down

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
frankly, I don't understand your reaction

the fill and burp procedure is really not that bad and overall, THIS CAR IS VERY EASY TO MAINTAIN AND REPAIR

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
frankly, I don't understand your reaction

the fill and burp procedure is really not that bad and overall, THIS CAR IS VERY EASY TO MAINTAIN AND REPAIR

Except I'm not having much luck with the fill/burp procedure. I'm hoping that this time I get it correct. My 93K mile lightning doesn't spew coolant nor does my SS Trailblazer, so that's why I'm frustrated. And why do these car do this?????? I bought it new, and the only time I've opened the coolant system was the first time I swapped blowers which was 5K+ miles ago?

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
Except I'm not having much luck with the fill/burp procedure. I'm hoping that this time I get it correct. My 93K mile lightning doesn't spew coolant nor does my SS Trailblazer, so that's why I'm frustrated. And why do these car do this?????? I bought it new, and the only time I've opened the coolant system was the first time I swapped blowers which was 5K+ miles ago?

That is wierd, I've had a few coolant situations like this myself but it was not a long time after, it would occur usually right after I tampered with the coolant system. Let me know if you bring the Cobra to work Mon/Wed/Fri and I'll swing by and help you troubleshoot, if its capable of being driven there at least. :(

racebronco2

Established Member
If you have a bigger radiator and fill the resevoir to the fill line it will spew over everytime. More fluid expands more so you need to keep the level a little lower. So what happens after it spew over and you don't add water. You didn't mention the car getting hot.

Paul's_03SVT

Established Member
I had that problem once. Like mentioned above though my car did get HOT, the temp gauge rose to the red and I shut it off and got it towed. Took it to a local performance shop and they replaced the cap and my fan. Never had the problem again. They said my fan wasn't working.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I had that problem once. Like mentioned above though my car did get HOT, the temp gauge rose to the red and I shut it off and got it towed. Took it to a local performance shop and they replaced the cap and my fan. Never had the problem again. They said my fan wasn't working.

Doesn't run hot, not more than midway on the gauge. Fan works fine, checked it and it comes on/off. I did the fill/burp over the weekend and it finally stayed full at the crossover.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Doesn't run hot, not more than midway on the gauge. Fan works fine, checked it and it comes on/off. I did the fill/burp over the weekend and it finally stayed full at the crossover.

DING DING DING!!!
We have a winner!!!
Once no air is found at the cross over plug(IE: full of coolant) , if you still have issues with the cap spitting fluid out, then the cap to tank mating surface has likely become warped(this is fairly common after an over heat spew event).

A new tank and cap may be needed. Used, good take offs are all over from tank upgrades.:beer:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
DING DING DING!!!
We have a winner!!!
Once no air is found at the cross over plug(IE: full of coolant) , if you still have issues with the cap spitting fluid out, then the cap to tank mating surface has likely become warped(this is fairly common after an over heat spew event).

A new tank and cap may be needed. Used, good take offs are all over from tank upgrades.:beer:

He's a double winner cuz now he doesn't have to sell the car! :burnout:

Richard, you should use the dashboard OBD2 readout to monitor temps, as the stock gauge is nothing more than a fancy idiot light

:read: http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/dtcodes.htm

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
mine was a bitch,,,i would add water before starting the car only when cold,it took awhile to do

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
fyi for all......most of you already know this....the stock temp gage is ASS!!! i recently jacked with my cooling system, and upon driving (using the onboard diagnostic temp gage).....temp went up up up, the gage on the cluster never crossed half way point. i always use the digital diagnostic tool after messing with the coolant now ( learned the hard way, i had a cap blowing off experience.....i didnt even know i was overheating ) scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread