Still losing coolant out the cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray03beast

Established Member
i had the same issue and i was more pissed than you were being that i had a new motor and all it was is that crappy ass plastic tank. i put on a canton and never looked back thats been over a year ago.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
He's a double winner cuz now he doesn't have to sell the car! :burnout:

NOPE. POS spewed on the way to work today. As stated earlier, runs perfect, starts perfect. Runs 119 through the traps, but can't keep ****in coolant from coming out the cap. WTF! This burp process can't be this difficult. I've got a call in to LFP on a res tank and tstat. That doesn't fix it, ADIOS.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
have you tested for exhaust gases in the coolant? if not, it might be a good idea (to rule out the worst news)

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
have you tested for exhaust gases in the coolant? if not, it might be a good idea (to rule out the worst news)

Done that. Clean as a whistle. I can let it run with a funnel in the crossover until it turns the fans on and no detectable bubbling like you'd see from a HG problem. Just the occasional small air bubble that is still in the system.:shrug::burn:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Done that. Clean as a whistle. I can let it run with a funnel in the crossover until it turns the fans on and no detectable bubbling like you'd see from a HG problem. Just the occasional small air bubble that is still in the system.:shrug::burn:

i am not talking about gas bubbles that you can necessarily see by watching it. there is a machine to test the coolant.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
i am not talking about gas bubbles that you can necessarily see by watching it. there is a machine to test the coolant.

Yep, work at a Chevy dealership. We used some tool that you put a fluid in, and if it turns the fluid colors it's showing exhaust gases in the coolant. Stayed the same color.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Just got off the phone with LFP, ordered a tank and tstat. I'll let you know if that fixes it.

Good product, just be aware that the burp procedure starts over from ground zero after install.

It would be a shame to sell the car just because you are having trouble filling the cooling system, a known and workable issue on these cars.:nonono:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Waiting on my LFP parts to arrive. But decided to go to the track anyway on Weds night. On the way there from Hammond, LA to Belle Rose, LA, no detectable coolant spray..about 65 miles. First pass went 11.859 @ 120.16, spraying coolant. Next pass was 11.857 @ 119.72, spraying coolant. So motor still seems pretty strong, but doesn't like coolant? The problem seems to be more rpm related than anything....We'll see how it does after the LFP parts arrive. Both passes 60fts were high 1.8's as it was bogging launching at 3000 on Nitto's.

0Cobra3

Established Member
curious to know what ended up happening with your car ive been having the same problem going to put a canton tank on with a new cap and burp the system hopefully this fixes my problem, im pissed myself just spend 21k on a car with 21k miles private party owned it for 2 weeks coolant out my cap, not spraying everywhere just a little bit but im really pissed makes me want to have a boxing match with the guy the sold me that car

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
No verdict yet. I've bought a new ford tank/cap but really haven't driven it since, due to rainy/foggy weather almost every day here.

0Cobra3

Established Member
well keep a dude posted and i will do the same, see i live in cali and its 60 degrees i could be driving the cobra right now but instead ill be riding wingman in my girlfriends scion tc

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
curious to know what ended up happening with your car ive been having the same problem going to put a canton tank on with a new cap and burp the system hopefully this fixes my problem, im pissed myself just spend 21k on a car with 21k miles private party owned it for 2 weeks coolant out my cap, not spraying everywhere just a little bit but im really pissed makes me want to have a boxing match with the guy the sold me that car

sucks but eh, as is means as is...........

I got very aggrivated with my coolant issues as well as many before me. Anytime i do anything with the system im obsessive/compulsive about it for a long time afterwards, watching the true temps through the diablo for a good week or so afterwards.

Savn4Mods

You serious Clark?
Established Member
I'm curious to know if anyone who runs an electric water pump has this problem? My near stock Cobra spews a little when I run it hard. Just cruising it doesn't do it. Definately seems like its water pump/engine RPM related. Anyone?

Invictus

Banned
Good luck with the LFP unit, mine busted after 2k miles and it took 2 months for Mike to get me a replacement. That being said, I had the same issues with my tank spewing coolant from the cap. I replaced the tank and was done with it.

Hkaiser83

I am Captain Dynaball.
Established Member
Also curious about this. I replaced the reservoir and cap with factory ford replacements and it persisted. After burping it the issue improved but did not go away. It happens in 3rd and 4th gear pulls (Which I don't do often). My engine is 3000 miles old with ARP studs and bolts with a FelPro gasket built for high boost and there are no contaments in my coolant. So I am very curious...

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
any luck with the new tank and cap? mine is doing the same thing

Ran it for about 500 miles with no issues, including a 105mph 15 minute jaunt trying to catch up the wife on the interstate. However, after hitting it hard on the way home from work the other day, just a little on the top of the tank. It is truly frustrating to the point I put it forsale, but not sure if I truly want to do that. How many original owner 04 Cobras will I ever get again.????:shrug:

I'm curious to know if anyone who runs an electric water pump has this problem? My near stock Cobra spews a little when I run it hard. Just cruising it doesn't do it. Definately seems like its water pump/engine RPM related. Anyone?

I had exactly that same problem when I was running a Meziere on my 01 Cobra. The car even ran hotter and after a month I went back to a mechanical pump because coolant wouldn't stop coming out the cap. I think Meziere's w/p are garbage based on my experience.

0Cobra3

Established Member
so wells heres my update i installed the canton tank, burped it and drove it for a while parked it at the store came out and coolant was all underneeth it, poped the hood coming from the cap, so i burped it again replaced the cap drove it with the diagnostic mode on temp never got over 92C pretty much 84-87C the whole time parked it and this time there was a little tiny stream coming from the back of the cap i mean not much this time at all and this is just normal driving probly not even getting in boost. do you think i still might have air in it? or could i be over filling my canton tank? this is really driving me crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread