Still losing coolant out the cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
so wells heres my update i installed the canton tank, burped it and drove it for a while parked it at the store came out and coolant was all underneeth it, poped the hood coming from the cap, so i burped it again replaced the cap drove it with the diagnostic mode on temp never got over 92C pretty much 84-87C the whole time parked it and this time there was a little tiny stream coming from the back of the cap i mean not much this time at all and this is just normal driving probly not even getting in boost. do you think i still might have air in it? or could i be over filling my canton tank? this is really driving me crazy

I had an LFP on mine for awhile. Couldn't keep coolant in it at all. Sold it, and am having better luck with stockers, but whatever the problem, it is still there.

0Cobra3

Established Member
so i put a new cap on again since i read that everytime it overflows you have to replace the cap, drove it normal driving highest temp it got was 100C after idling in a parking lot, popped the hood and it was puking coolant, so i wiped all the coolant off drove home and popped my hood and it was all dry no coolant puking. so then i let it sit and cool until cold, didnt pop the cap off didnt do anything but get in it and drive it again this time romping on it 1st-3rd drove all around temp never got over 97C came home popped the hood and still no coolant puking is it possible the cap had to seat? or maybe i lost enough coolant to where its not over filled anymore first time it didnt puke tho :) makes me happy but we'll c what happens im scared that if i take the cap off and put it back on it will puke again

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
On the driver's side of the stock expansion tank is a scribed line labeled "Fill Line" or something like that. That tank should NOT be full to the top, only fill to the line. It's an "EXPANSION" tank. That means the fluid needs room to E X P A N D.

Mine did the same thing until the fluid was down to the line, then it stopped. Try pulling some fluid out of the tank with a syringe or turkey baster. All further fluid needs to be added through the crossover tube.

GrayGhost03

Established Member
so i put a new cap on again since i read that everytime it overflows you have to replace the cap, drove it normal driving highest temp it got was 100C after idling in a parking lot, popped the hood and it was puking coolant, so i wiped all the coolant off drove home and popped my hood and it was all dry no coolant puking. so then i let it sit and cool until cold, didnt pop the cap off didnt do anything but get in it and drive it again this time romping on it 1st-3rd drove all around temp never got over 97C came home popped the hood and still no coolant puking is it possible the cap had to seat? or maybe i lost enough coolant to where its not over filled anymore first time it didnt puke tho :) makes me happy but we'll c what happens im scared that if i take the cap off and put it back on it will puke again

good to hear. i filled/burped with new cap 2 days ago and was pretty sure i had all the air out but before driving it yesterday and today i cracked open the fill plug and vented some air before coolant started coming out. i'll keep doing this till i get no air. pita

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
I had this problem and just expelled some of the coolant out of the cap and tightened it back up. I did check the crossover tube, and it was good. I think mine was just too full, from the dealer.:cuss:

The temps you're reporting are way too hot! Its either not burped properly or the fan isn't working properly or you may have a HG issue. I also use the instrument cluster diagnostic to monitor my coolant temps while driving and I know its not 90F down in your neck of the woods. To put this is in a clearer perspective, the only time I saw 100C on my 03 was on +90F days with a lot of humidity. And it would only happen if I sat in bumper to bumper traffic for 15-30 minutes. And I run a Stant 180F combined with a 20/80 coolant to water mix in the summer. Something isn't right and it sounds like you are on the verge once again of overheating. Keep burping. The data you reported is pointing to something wrong.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
The 'Add Coolant' mark will leave you OVERFILLED and it will puke out the cap.

Fill the expansion tank/degas bottle no more than half way. You want the ENGINE filled not the degas bottle. Fill from the CROSSOVER TUBE with the degas bottle CAPPED.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
The temps you're reporting are way too hot! Its either not burped properly or the fan isn't working properly or you may have a HG issue. I also use the instrument cluster diagnostic to monitor my coolant temps while driving and I know its not 90F down in your neck of the woods. To put this is in a clearer perspective, the only time I saw 100C on my 03 was on +90F days with a lot of humidity. And it would only happen if I sat in bumper to bumper traffic for 15-30 minutes. And I run a Stant 180F combined with a 20/80 coolant to water mix in the summer. Something isn't right and it sounds like you are on the verge once again of overheating. Keep burping. The data you reported is pointing to something wrong.

:dw:

negative. :nonono:

on the factory stock tune, the terminator low speed fan turns on at 100c. :read:

so unless you know that 0cobra3 has a different t-stat or that he has an aftermarket tune with the fans set to come on at a lower temp, the advice you are giving is wrong.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Questions and update

Still spraying coolant. Drove it about 100 miles yesterday with 0 issues before going to the track. Got to the track went 11.91 @ 119.xx on first pass, spraying coolant. 12.31 @ 118.xx (spun), spraying coolant. Then 12.13 @ 118.xx on 3rd pass(spun 2nd) also spraying. Drove home 25 miles, stayed below 1/2 way point on dash. Decided to check somethings last night. Have flow, as heater was working, hoses hot to touch, crossover hot to touch, coolant resevoir outside temp including water inside of it????? Is it normal for the res coolant to be cool to the touch while everything else is at operating temp. When this first started happening, about 1.5 years and 3000+ miles ago I replaced the tstat with an LFP 160 or 180. But nothing has ever corrected the problem. Is coolant not getting back into the tank and if so what may be the problem????

:dw:

negative. :nonono:

on the factory stock tune, the terminator low speed fan turns on at 100c. :read:

so unless you know that 0cobra3 has a different t-stat or that he has an aftermarket tune with the fans set to come on at a lower temp, the advice you are giving is wrong.

His car is tuned. And the vast majority of competent tuners have the fans coming on at much lower temps. I would be shocked if he still had the fans set at the stock settings. If his fans are set much lower he shouldn't be seeing 212F with the current temps where he's living, not too mention with the lower humidity. Even if it was summer time with extreme heat and humidity he shouldn't be seeing such high temps cruising if the fan settings were set lower. Those temps are too high for just cruising on the highway.

actually my car is still stock ive never messed with anything fans come on at 105c

Well if thats the case then I take that back. Thats my error and apologize to P49Y-CY. :bowdown: That aside, get the car tuned and alter those fan settings. You're running hotter than you should. Throw in a t-stat made by JMProductions: Reische Performance Products and follow his fan setting recommendations and lower those temps!

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
its all good man :beer:

yes lowering the temps the fans come on/off in the tune is great and keeps the car running cooler at idle low speeds. and a t-stat that opens sooner is great too, but if all else is well the stock cooling system can handle very high temps and is designed for it like all other late model low-emissions engines. (not above like 235 iirc though)

there is some good info on this board that shows the different temps and how critical they become as they increase.

all you guys who are having problems with the cap consistantly overflowing you have different issues to look at.

0Cobra3

Established Member
well so my update is my cooling system in not overflowing out the cap anymore. ive got on it pretty hard, took it on a couple hour drive and parked it all seems well, driving on the freeway the temps range from 84-95c and sitting still or in a parking lot it will come up until the fans click on at 106c and drop down to 102c. the problem was my canton reservoir tank was overfilled.

remember where im at in California right now is 75F kinda weird for winter but i guess i will enjoy it

Last edited:

0Cobra3

Established Member
am i running extremely hot for a stock cooling system or does that sounds about right?

0Cobra3

Established Member
well i decided im going to run that 170* hybrid thermostat, and change my stock fan setting what kind of flash tuner do i need to change the stock fan settings is it hard to do?

Savn4Mods

You serious Clark?
Established Member
On the driver's side of the stock expansion tank is a scribed line labeled "Fill Line" or something like that. That tank should NOT be full to the top, only fill to the line. It's an "EXPANSION" tank. That means the fluid needs room to E X P A N D.

Mine did the same thing until the fluid was down to the line, then it stopped. Try pulling some fluid out of the tank with a syringe or turkey baster. All further fluid needs to be added through the crossover tube.

I had this problem on my car. Found out the previous owner had the cooling system drained and refilled just before I bought the car. After reading this post by SnakeBit, I took a turkey baster and an empty Mountain Dew (it MUST be Mountain Dew:eek:) can and pulled 12 ounces of coolant out of my "EXPANSION" tank. This put the coolant level just above the Add Coolant line. Drove the snot out of it yesterday and immediately checked it when I got home and no more coolant puking out :banana:

Thanks SnakeBit :idea:

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
am i running extremely hot for a stock cooling system or does that sounds about right?

it doesn't sound like you are running EXTREMELY hot for the stock setup. like i said i thought the stock low speed fan comes on at 100c. if yours is coming on at 102c it is not that much higher :shrug: do a search on this board and you will find a scanned document that has all sorts of good info on it. its kinda hard to read (like a run on sentence) but iirc it shows how the ford pcm looks at the temps.

well i decided im going to run that 170* hybrid thermostat, and change my stock fan setting what kind of flash tuner do i need to change the stock fan settings is it hard to do?

sounds like a good plan! you will be able to kill two birds with one stone as then you will already have your flash tuner for future upgrades :thumbsup: best of luck with it!

0Cobra3

Established Member
right on man thanks for the advice, im really excited about my stat and fan settings, i think im going to go with the excal3, with this one i should be able to adjust my on and off settings?.
also i was wondering i know my high mode kicks on at 106c or 107c but im not sure if i heard the low mode, you said it should kick on at 100c?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread