need more power, but dont know which direction to go.

termin80r

Established Member
Ok, if youve ever read any of my post, you kno im new to the ford game. i got my cobra alittle over a year ago, and im getting bored with it. i got it with a stage 3 port and i believe a 2.81 pulley. is this blower maxed out, or is there more patential in it? its got cold air, exhaust, spec stage 3, MGW shifter. dynoed at 483 rwhp. the car doesnt hook at all as it is, so whats next for me? suspension upgrades, or more power? like i said im new to fords, and irs in general, so be specific about the best bang for the buck suspension and power mods.

cobracide

Established Member
Goals.. what are they? Drag or handling for suspension? Have you considered 315's out back on 10.5" rims? Tires? DD or toy?

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
if you cant get any traction as it is now, what would be the point in adding more power? for top end speed/pulls?

i'd be willing to bet you'd be more pleased with your current power level, if you stepped on the gas, and actually went somewhere....instead of just burning the tires off.

do you have any suspension/handling upgrades, AT ALL? ie: springs, FLSFCs, good tires, etc.

speaking of tires...what tires are you running right now?

termin80r

Established Member
this car will not see much track time. i race, just not on the track. i want more power, but i want it to be useful power. i wanna do all the suspension stuff i can first, just wanting oppinions on where to go with it. ive got lowering springs, but dont know which ones. im on a tight budget right now, and im going to do this a little at a time. i have 10.5s and i do have 315/35/17 i run MT street radials. and bfgs up front. I figured the first thing i could do is go with MM full length subframe connectors. but give me some opinions.

03cobra5485

Established Member
you race, but not on the track? So your new to the cobra and street race? If that's the case save the money and take out a huge health and auto insurance plan, bc you'll more than likely need it.

termin80r

Established Member
no man its not like that, ive been around all kinds of cars with more power than what i have now, but stuff thats alot more simple to work on. mostly muscle cars and older trucks. the cobra holds the road better than anything else ive ever driven besides z06 vettes. im completely new to the ford game, and im just looking for advice.

termin80r

Established Member
lol, ive been thru ur thread soo many times, but i dont have that kind of money right now, im at a shitty job for now and im just putting all the money i can get into it. im just looking for advice on the best place to start on my suspension and chassis stiffening.

03cobra5485

Established Member
first thing, i'd get rid of the stock bushings and put some aluminum bushings to help reduce the wheel hop, it def helped me out..H&R Racing springs or Eibach Sportline (what i have)..look into full tilt boogie, from what i hear it's the way to go

cobracide

Established Member
For a car that hugs curves on a semi budget and can get out of the hole decent. HR Race or Steeda Sport springs. MM valved Bilstein sport shocks/struts are great for street and probably pretty good for autocross. I wouldn't bother with the MM HDs as they are stock on the cobras with different valving. If you get some cash together, coil overs are always cool.

termin80r

Established Member
yeah, i hear the same about full tilt boogie, i dont have the cash right now to buy the kit though, my car has been lowered, but i dont know what kind of springs they used, or if they were just cut. i know the first thing i wanna do is weld on some subframe connectors, but i need you guys to give me some advice on what to order. ive been looking at the MM full length but ive also been looking at stifflers fit kit. has anyone ran the fit kit??

stal94gt

Established Member
spinning aint winning. if your not hooking on the mt et street radials then i would suggest you find a better tire to help you hook. not sure if the car is a dd but 480 is plenty of power to run good times.

or put some spray on it

termin80r

Established Member
its not a daily driver, i drive it to shows and cruise it maybe once or twice a week. who makes coilovers for these things? on my chevelle i installed QA1s and it made a night and day difference from the hotchkiss stuff i pulled off.

cobracide

Established Member
I didn't do the springs myself. You do need a spring compressor and four jack stands to tackle it. With shocks/springs get a four wheel alignment afterwards from Ford. MM makes a great pair of caster/camber plates too.

Users who are viewing this thread