gear thread to end all gear threads

cobra916

Established Member
03 mach crower stage 2s, full bolt ons

03 centrifugal supercharger (builds boost)

my mach being cammed is the ideal candidate for gears..these videos will show how gears are worthless.. unless you car is on slicks with drag suspension.. which 95 percent of use are not.. only thing changed on my car was gears 430s to 373s.. 373s that would be laughed at ...get the last laugh...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osUdiaY7O5o&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]YouTube - ‪04 m3 Vs mach1 430 gears‬‏[/nomedia] 60 roll with 430s..sorry not best quality
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX5e0DQa0qQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]YouTube - ‪M3 Vs mach1 430 gears‬‏[/nomedia] another 60 roll with 430s

Last edited:

cobra916

Established Member
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-_h2lBj-Eg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]YouTube - ‪373races‬‏[/nomedia] only gear change to 373s... this is at 70 mph though...pace car is a srt8 jeep
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlZJ6MnyPr4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]YouTube - ‪mach1 Vs 04 M3 SC‬‏[/nomedia] same run but from inside the m3

cobra916

Established Member
im at work right now so cant post it but...even at 60 with 373s (430s powerband) the 373s do better.. i will post that video too... my car shows you that gears are bs and on the street stock cammed cars should run 355s and aftermarket cammed should run 373s to 390s max.. my car doesnt only drive nicer with the 373s gets better mpg and much easier cruising at 80 on the freeway.. like it is easier to maintain speed.. with 430s it was very touchy.. also i know with me i will get better times at the track too since i have this new thing called traction haha.. it feels nice to be in 3rd at a speed that should be 3rd in a normal car rather then being in 4th like the 430s.. i hated my car with 430s and im falling for my car all over again.. fear the gear!!

Last edited:

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
Um, I'm pretty sure 4.30's are better suited for 1/4 mile racing and not roll racing. Anyways, I'm also pretty sure new edge cobra's (99-01) came from the factory with 3.27 gears. So upgrading teh rear gears still adds benefits.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Glad it works for you.
And you could have left out the queer part and damm sure trying to bypass the profanity filter on a word that isn't even filtered. No infraction however just because I feel for you in being the minority on gears.

BTW, this will never "End all gear threads"

cobra916

Established Member
Glad it works for you.
And you could have left out the queer part and damm sure trying to bypass the profanity filter on a word that isn't even filtered. No infraction however just because I feel for you in being the minority on gears.

BTW, this will never "End all gear threads"

i fixed it.. sorry... it just rhymed so i went with it..haha yea i guess it wont end all gear threads... just look at the two smart guys above :lol:

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
Nice results with the 3.73s! If my Mach 1 was cammed it would be a hands down decision. It's an awesome all around gear set. I have them in my other Stang and love how they drive at all speeds. :beer: I must say it was a bit predictable - everyone knows you are either trading your top end or bottom end when you go with gear sets. 3.73s are good for both. Did you ever run the M3 from a dig with either gear set ups? Probably useless (traction issues) with 4.30s anyway...

Last edited:

cobra916

Established Member
Nice results with the 3.73s! If my Mach 1 was cammed it would be a hands down decision. It's an awesome all around gear set. I have them in my other Stang and love how they drive at all speeds. :beer: I must say it was a bit predictable - everyone knows you are either trading your top end or bottom end when you go with gear sets. 3.73s are good for both. Did you ever run the M3 from a dig with either gear set ups? Probably useless (traction issues) with 4.30s anyway...

i dont agree with that.. everyone doesnt know that..everyone thinks you lose mph in each gear but.. they still believe shorter gears will accelerate faster to whatever point 4th maxes out at.. but this shows thats not true..

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I had same results with mine, except I had 4.10s and not 4.30s.

Raced a buddies Mach (that dynoed within 2hp of mine on same dyno) when I had 4.10s and he had stock 3.55s. From a low roll I'd jump out roughly 1 car, but by mid 3rd he'd start coming around me. Switched back to 3.55s and it was a dead heat race every time after that.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Your results are scewed and I will tell you why. You are not just dealing with the ring gear. You also have to take into account your transmission gears. From a roll, you are shifting from, assuming you have the stock tranny, 3rd gear with a 1.33 ratio to 4th with a 1:1 ratio. So, you ultimatly went from a 4.96 ratio with the 3.73s to a 4.30 ratio with, well, the 4.30s. It just depends on the transmission gear you are in. From a dig, either with traction or a good driver, the geared car, especially a cammed one, will almost always win. You have to get into the power band with cars that rev. Gears do that for you. But, it is up to you. If you like the 3.73s, rock em. You don't have to do low gears just cause everyone else does.

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Very good, real world data. Thanks for sharing. Can you provide a little more info? At what mph did each race finish, what gear were you starting in for each race and what RPM were you shifting at?

Todd

cobra916

Established Member
Your results are scewed and I will tell you why. You are not just dealing with the ring gear. You also have to take into account your transmission gears. From a roll, you are shifting from, assuming you have the stock tranny, 3rd gear with a 1.33 ratio to 4th with a 1:1 ratio. So, you ultimatly went from a 4.96 ratio with the 3.73s to a 4.30 ratio with, well, the 4.30s. It just depends on the transmission gear you are in. From a dig, either with traction or a good driver, the geared car, especially a cammed one, will almost always win. You have to get into the power band with cars that rev. Gears do that for you. But, it is up to you. If you like the 3.73s, rock em. You don't have to do low gears just cause everyone else does.

not true.. are you not reading what i posted??? all runs started in 3rd...alll advantage was given to 430s since i had those gears first..so we based all the 373 runs off what we used to do before...

3rd gear 60 with 430s 4500ish rpm roll up to 120
this is 430s powerband... lose to 120 (top of 4th) by half car

then i did 3rd gear 60 with 373s (i think 4k not sure havent had gears long)
out of 373s power band ... still win up to 120 and past... by half car

cobra916

Established Member
Very good, real world data. Thanks for sharing. Can you provide a little more info? At what mph did each race finish, what gear were you starting in for each race and what RPM were you shifting at?

Todd

i will post the 373 60 roll too..but for sake of argument.. all advantages were given to 430s.. you know 3rd gear 60 is all for the 430s but 373s still won.. i did like 9 runs each trying different things with the 430s and was always on the loseing side.. but with the 373s even at 60 which i thought forsure im going to lose i won many times up to 120 (top of 430s just to compare).. and once i started at 373s powerbad 3rd gear 70 plus... the m3 that builds boost essentailly higher rpms is its friends got beat even worse.. its not like it was a twin screw and i started to take it out of its powerband... with 373s i was just going deeping into its powerband...his m3 revs to 8200...

cobra916

Established Member
also i would just like to add im just a regular guy..i dont have stocks in 373s or neither am i making any money off this... i just wanted to post info that will help the mustang community.. please dont bash constructive criticism is welcome :beer:

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Did you shift to 4th on the 3.73 pull? Also, your results are not very scientific. It would be more convincing if you did runs on a timed track on the same day. There are way too many variables in your test. From the looks of the videos, these cars are very close in performance. The reason people are giving you crap is because you are saying the equivalent of, "the car with less power will win." What I think you are trying to say in this statement "gears are only to get you into your powerband quicker..thats it... once in your horse power the longergears help propel the car forward..rather then just whine out.." does not hold true at the speeds you are talking about. That is more for something like Bonneville racers at top speed, not just 60 to 120. If what you are saying is true, you would actually do better short shifting. But, it also depends on how your power drops off after peak. If it drops like a cliff, yes, shifting to a higher gear will help, but if your band is nice and flat, staying in that low gear longer will help.

Users who are viewing this thread