gear thread to end all gear threads

cobra916

Established Member
just to clear things up for people who thought i was starting in a different gear or whatever

...........start point v ..rpms ......v reason end pnt top of 4th with 430s
3rd gear 373 60mph 3895 at 120 half car ahead
3rd gear 430 60mph 4491 at 120 half car behind

4500-5250 my car makes 323-331ish tq 3500-3800 is 15-20ish less tq

so starting at a weaker point my car with 373s still won.. it doesnt matter if its a weaker point at 3rd,2nd,1st the 373s will make it up.. aslong it is a roll.. because i only have experience with roll runs.. from a dig with 430s your suspension better be set up other wise you will blow the tires and see the tail lights of the 373s again.. and yess 90 percent of people with na 4 valves should be running 373s or less.. leave the 410s up to the drag set up cars..

DC97Cobra

Established Member
I have to say that I have had better chances beating machs and cobras that had 4.10's and 4.30s than I did with those that had 3.73s. I'm running 3.27s still. One of the mach's that I beat went from 3.55 to 4.30. Never really started from a dig but slow rolls (10mph - 30mph) and would keep up and pull on top. He went to 3.73s and we stayed almost dead even till getting to the end of the run. If he got the jump, I had a LOT of difficulty trying to pass him. If I got the jump, he would creep up and start to pass by the end of the run.

Another 2001 Cobra I ran couldn't believe that I had stock gears. He had 4.10's and a Tremec TKO 500 with similar mods. I think other than gears, I was running underdrive pullies compared to his. It was also still a drivers race but I would come out ahead in the end of the run. He would hit 110mph and I would pull the rest of the way.

So for street, I think 3.73's are best. Depending on the transmission gearing and whether you can get traction at the track, 4.10s or 4.30s are best. Once you start making serious power(500+), I think that stepping back down to 3.73 or even 3.55 would be better for traction control.

I guess the lesson here is that gears don't replace hp. It will just adjust where your performance range is and perform well its within the scope of its purpose, ie.. street racing vs. drag racing.

Last edited:

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
Honestly a na cobra vs a na cobra reguardless of gear 98% of the factor who wins a race is the driver. So really your gear argument is mute. Your not beating the car bc of his gear your beating him bc of who's driving or he now cant get traction w his year cuz he's not set up properly

Last edited:

cobra916

Established Member
Honestly a na cobra vs a na cobra reguardless of gear 98% of the factor who wins a race is the driver. So really your gear argument is mute. Your not beating the car bc of his gear your beating him bc of who's driving or he now cant get traction w his year cuz he's not set up properly

the argument is mute because he doesnt agree with you.. so my runs dont show anything.. his experience with 4 other cars doesnt show anything.. you make me laugh..

cobra916

Established Member
I have to say that I have had better chances beating machs and cobras that had 4.10's and 4.30s than I did with those that had 3.73s. I'm running 3.27s still. One of the mach's that I beat went from 3.55 to 4.30. Never really started from a dig but slow rolls (10mph - 30mph) and would keep up and pull on top. He went to 3.73s and we stayed almost dead even till getting to the end of the run. If he got the jump, I had a LOT of difficulty trying to pass him. If I got the jump, he would creep up and start to pass by the end of the run.

Another 2001 Cobra I ran couldn't believe that I had stock gears. He had 4.10's and a Tremec TKO 500 with similar mods. I think other than gears, I was running underdrive pullies compared to his. It was also still a drivers race but I would come out ahead in the end of the run. He would hit 110mph and I would pull the rest of the way.

So for street, I think 3.73's are best. Depending on the transmission gearing and whether you can get traction at the track, 4.10s or 4.30s are best. Once you start making serious power(500+), I think that stepping back down to 3.73 or even 3.55 would be better for traction control.

I guess the lesson here is that gears don't replace hp. It will just adjust where your performance range is and perform well its within the scope of its purpose, ie.. street racing vs. drag racing.

thanks for sharing :beer:.. good to know there are others :eek:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
the argument is mute because he doesnt agree with you...

Honestly a na cobra vs a na cobra reguardless of gear 98% of the factor who wins a race is the driver.

I absolutely, whole-heartedly, no doubt about it, agree.

Real Street Races are drag races so so your comment would be better stated as "roll racing vs. drag racing."

You're absolutely right, gears do not replace hp. Also, the proper gearing is the one that makes you happy. This is why this debate will go on forever.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
the argument is mute because he doesnt agree with you.. so my runs dont show anything.. his experience with 4 other cars doesnt show anything.. you make me laugh..

What does you cobra run in the 1/8 mile. Your trying to prove a point but your racing on the street in a uncontrolled environment against two different drivers.

I know what I'm talking about, I've raced on the street and track longer than you have owned your cobra, not to mention I have had every ratio there is in my rear end before. You put my 4.30 geard cobra up against Ur 3.27 or .73 car and I'm doin work bc I'm gonna be set up right w/ my solid rear and Dr's

Last edited:

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
The debate is more for na cars. Turbo cars run better w/ less gear due to the fact they keep them in there power range longer and allow for spool. But hey what do I know ;)

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I know what I'm talking about, I've raced on the street and track longer than you have owned your cobra, not to mention I have had every ratio there is in my rear end before. You put my 4.30 geard cobra up against Ur 3.27 or 3.73 car and I'm doin work bc I'm gonna be set up right w/ my solid rear and Dr's

halelujha brother!

32vApe

Not Fast Enough
Established Member
I jumped on the gear band wagon when I first bought my cobra and went with 4.30's. I was kinda dissapointed. First was way to short and no traction. Then at the top, it would only pull hard to about 110 in fourth. I switched to 4.10's. Definately the best for street strip use.
About the same time a friend of mine bought a 05gt and started modding. He had headers, o/r x, axle back, tune, cai, stock 3.55's. I had o/r h, cai, tune we were both low 13's@ 106-107. We raced all the time for fun. We took the same highway home after work and would do, dig, 20, 40, and 60 rolls, all would end up dead even. He switched to 4.10's thinkg he was going to get me and no way. If anything he lost a fender on me from a roll. From a dig on the street it was the same, dead even. At the track same dead even. Then I put in 3.73's and did my t56 swap. Now I could put a half car on him from any roll, and from a dig on the street I could pull just slightly in 3rd. He then did cams and a stickier tire and would get me pretty good out of the hole at the track.

You have to gear your car for what you are going to use it for. Track only n/a 4v's with a good tire 4.56's for sure. Mix of roll and drag racing 4.10's. Roll only or long distance highway cruise, 3.73's.

For any forced induction no more than 3.73's. Another friend on mine had a built 4v with a d1sc. Power ranged from 500-600whp depending on pulley size. It had 3.55's and he went to 4.10's. Made the car totally useless even with dr's. I just swtched a 2v with a novi 2000 at 8lbs from 4.10's to 3.55's. the guy was extremely pleased with how the car felt with the 3.55's.

Sorry for the long post. Just my some of my real world experience with gears.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
You can argue this till the end of time but the bottom line is,

If everything is equal (Traction,HP,Driver,etc...) geared car will win.

Why is it that all drag cars run the steepest gear possible for their combination?

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
rpm range/power band has a lot to do with gearing also. If you're changing gears but not the motor you're basically tuning the powerband and the gear selection should be based on the intended driving.

If you change the motor then the results of the gear change are different too. It's not going to be constant where a 4.XX gear will provide every motor with a particular performance range. It's just not static like that.

cobra916

Established Member
You can argue this till the end of time but the bottom line is,

If everything is equal (Traction,HP,Driver,etc...) geared car will win.

Why is it that all drag cars run the steepest gear possible for their combination?

yes only in a drag race..with slicks... all gears do is the whole shot..thats it.. why is it you add gears to a car and it will drop quatermile time but same or lower trap speed??

Last edited:

cobra916

Established Member
I jumped on the gear band wagon when I first bought my cobra and went with 4.30's. I was kinda dissapointed. First was way to short and no traction. Then at the top, it would only pull hard to about 110 in fourth. I switched to 4.10's. Definately the best for street strip use.
About the same time a friend of mine bought a 05gt and started modding. He had headers, o/r x, axle back, tune, cai, stock 3.55's. I had o/r h, cai, tune we were both low 13's@ 106-107. We raced all the time for fun. We took the same highway home after work and would do, dig, 20, 40, and 60 rolls, all would end up dead even. He switched to 4.10's thinkg he was going to get me and no way. If anything he lost a fender on me from a roll. From a dig on the street it was the same, dead even. At the track same dead even. Then I put in 3.73's and did my t56 swap. Now I could put a half car on him from any roll, and from a dig on the street I could pull just slightly in 3rd. He then did cams and a stickier tire and would get me pretty good out of the hole at the track.

You have to gear your car for what you are going to use it for. Track only n/a 4v's with a good tire 4.56's for sure. Mix of roll and drag racing 4.10's. Roll only or long distance highway cruise, 3.73's.

For any forced induction no more than 3.73's. Another friend on mine had a built 4v with a d1sc. Power ranged from 500-600whp depending on pulley size. It had 3.55's and he went to 4.10's. Made the car totally useless even with dr's. I just swtched a 2v with a novi 2000 at 8lbs from 4.10's to 3.55's. the guy was extremely pleased with how the car felt with the 3.55's.

Sorry for the long post. Just my some of my real world experience with gears.

thanks for the info.. i agree with you 100 percent as i speak from real world experience too.. i raced my friend (supercharged m3)10 times one night with 430s just to make sure i have a constant result.. and then 7 times with the 373s.. its all about staying in the power band longer to propell the car forward..(and yes to can have to long of a gear and that your hp wont be able to over come .) but thats just whats happening with 430s for me.. it would just shoot threw the gear but not even move that much..

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
yes only in a drag race..with slicks... all gears do is the whole shot..thats it.. why is it you add gears to a car and it will drop quatermile time but same or lower trap speed??

Like I said, all else equal.

Trap speed lower isn't always the case, hell a lower 60' equals a lower trap speed in most cases.

I've been racing over 25 years, don't think I speak from personal and real life experience?

Let me know when you get your NHRA license good for 7.0 and you've trapped over 185.
I've been having mine.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
So a car that STAYS in the power band longer before shifting due to higher gearing will accelarte faster than a car that gets THROUGH the power band faster and shifts to the next gear to continue?

Yea, that makes sense.

Monster Mach

Established Member
So a car that STAYS in the power band longer before shifting due to higher gearing will accelarte faster than a car that gets THROUGH the power band faster and shifts to the next gear to continue?

Yea, that makes sense.
Remember this is svtp. Stock gto's beat bolt on cobras. its possible!! Its on z videozzzz 4.56 gears automaticaly = 9 second quarter times

bwahl602

Established Member
m not ready this whole thread..

there is a lot of silly information on page 1 already...

gears are essentially a torque multiplier.. but you dont gain top end or bottom end, the gears allow your car to make better use of its power at different ranges. You can better use the power for what the driving styles are. The fact is, our cars make good mid-top end power. You dont need a gear that lets you theoretically go 190mph.. Youll never get there.

im no drag racer, but I think the idea is that you want to gear the car so your tapping redline as you cross the finish in 4th gear. (or whatever your 1:1 is)

For general street driving, gears make a huge difference at lower speed.. Your 70mph roll is completely different. A gear can mean the difference between starting that roll at 2k rpms or 4k rpms.. You lost that race with 430s from shifting is all

to say that gears make no difference, well.. its silly

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread